Can't work on wireless network after cable modem install...

Reply Sat 9 Sep, 2006 01:55 pm
Okay, here's the problem.

My wife and I both have closely related laptops (an hp pavilion and a compaq presario, both about 3 years old now).

When we got Charter highspeed and installed their software on both of our computers, we are no longer able to use wireless connections. We can still recognize that a network is there, we can still connect to it (computer says we are connected, signal strength excellent), but we can't actually access the internet with Internet Explorer, Itunes, and presumably other programs.

Anybody out there know what our problem might be?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 867 • Replies: 17
No top replies

littlek

Reply Sat 9 Sep, 2006 02:19 pm
Sounds like it's on the distributor's side of the equation. When I moved, I had to wait 2 weeks for my sevice to start working. Same computers, same modem/router, same phone number, same stoopid Verizon.

Did anyone tell you there'd be a lag time?
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Sat 9 Sep, 2006 02:34 pm
No, it's not that. The cable internet service is fine. It's when we try to connect to any other wireless network that the problem arises. Network shows as available, we connect to it, it shows up as connected, but Iexplore/Itunes can't load any content.

Home network fine.

Getting laptops on any other network not fine.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sat 9 Sep, 2006 02:38 pm
Sounds to me like you aren't on the same network as the modem. If you are on 192.168.1.xxx and the router is on 192.168.0.xxx then you can often see it but can't talk to it.

Did you get new hardware when you switched?

Can you access the modem/router to see what local IP address it is using.

Are you getting the computer IP address from DHCP? (Post your OS if you need help finding if you are using DHCP or have a static IP address)

What hardware do you have? modem? router? Seperate wireless?

The one other problem I have sometimes is when I fail to access a DNS server from my IP provider which means I can actually access the internet but can't look up the address of any websites. This means I can't access anything by simply putting in the named web address but if I know the numbered address I can access it.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sat 9 Sep, 2006 02:40 pm
If you have a home network, can you see the other computers on the network when you connect?
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Sat 9 Sep, 2006 03:29 pm
Maybe I should explain the nature of the problem a little better.

There's no problem with the home network. Works beautifully as a matter of fact.

But, to a day, since installing the software that came with the network, I've had this problem connecting to wireless networks. Everything shows up as connected when I tell the computer to connect, but if I open the browser it can't actually load any pages. It always gives the old "page not found" message.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Sat 9 Sep, 2006 03:40 pm
parados wrote:
The one other problem I have sometimes is when I fail to access a DNS server from my IP provider which means I can actually access the internet but can't look up the address of any websites. This means I can't access anything by simply putting in the named web address but if I know the numbered address I can access it.

Okay, I'm really computer-ignorant when it comes down to the nuts and bolts of these things. How do I find out an IP address so I can see if this might be at the root of the problem?

(Just removed the software I've suspected from the computer and still have the same problem. Can connect to network, but can't connect to any pages.)
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sat 9 Sep, 2006 03:44 pm
If I'm understanding your situation correctly (and I may not be), you can connect to your home wireless network, but not any other wireless network.

What software do you need that came from Charter? You should have software for your wireless router, and for your wireless card, but why would you need software for the internet connection? Maybe something proprietary was loaded onto your system?

A question I still have is whether your wireless router at home is the same as it was before you got the new highspeed internet connection. Or, did you get a new wireless router at home. What I'm getting at is whether you have a profile for your home Internet connection which has an encryption (WEP?) password, so that when you roam off your network you are trying to connect with a profile with WEP encryption, when you need a profile without WEP.

Hmm, but you say the network shows up as available. I guess I'm leaning towards thinking perhaps Charter software is the problem for you. I'm not sure you need it on your system to operate your highspeed network. One suggestion, if other solutions fail, may be to uninstall the Charter software and see if you can still connect to the Internet at home. Then, if so, try to connect on a generic wireless connection.

Good luck.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Sat 9 Sep, 2006 03:52 pm
Can use the home network when plugged in, but not wireless. Connection is fine, usefulness is nonexistent (as is the case on any wireless network). The laptop in the house that never had this problem has no trouble connecting to the home wireless network.

As to the software -- it was necessary for initializing/installing/whatever the cable modem upon receipt. I just uninstalled it from my laptop and restarted, but still the same problem.

It's like applications are incapable of recognizing that I have established a connection.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sat 9 Sep, 2006 05:15 pm
I guess that means you haven't changed your wireless connection point then. What hardware did you get from Charter? A modem?

What OS are you using?

Basically you want the properties of the TCP/IP connection

control panel - network - connections - (right click) properties of the wireless connection - properties of TCP/IP

Does it obtain the IP address automatically?
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Sat 9 Sep, 2006 06:03 pm
Nope. Just got figured out the same thing from another thread. Not sure why it wasn't doing so automatically, but it is now, and all works well. thanks much.

(Oddly enough, the same pathway on the other laptop in the house with the same problem said it was obtaining IP addresses automatically, but just unchecking and rechecking that box seemed to get it working wirelessly again, too. No idea why this should be the case, and it may not be a real fix, but things are working right now.)

Thanks again for your help.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 9 Sep, 2006 06:06 pm
I was just stopping in to help you out, patiodog -- to make everything right -- but I see that others, while not as capable or qualified as myself, were still able to walk you through this rather delicate situation.

How is the wife by the way?
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Sat 9 Sep, 2006 06:08 pm
Ornery, gus. She's ornery.

How do I make this thread appear as "answered" now, anyway? Or is that a bit of moderator magic?
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 9 Sep, 2006 06:10 pm
Just let it go, pdog. It will take care of itself.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Sat 9 Sep, 2006 06:13 pm
Let it go?!?! Why you dirty, filthy, thieving bastard...
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 9 Sep, 2006 06:16 pm
Tis my thread now. Get used to it.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sat 9 Sep, 2006 07:57 pm
Gus,

Aren't you supposed to be getting ready for mass or something?

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=82434&highlight=
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2006 08:49 am
Pirate, pope, and capybara farmer.

Truly a renaissance man.
0 Replies