What do galaxies orbit?

Cosmolgy987654321

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2010 09:02 am
@Brandon9000,
stars cant just stay still if they arnt part of a galaxie or anything. They will move until they attract something or something attracts it.
0 Replies

wmendez1977

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2010 08:21 pm
@timberlandko,
GRAVITY IS THE FLUSH OF SPACE OR COMPRESSION OF SPACE ,IN THE MIDDLE OF THE GALAXY THE SUPPOSED BLACK HOLE THERE IS NOTHING THING OF A GALAXY AS AN HURRICAN AND THE BLACKHOLE AS THE EYE OF AN HURRICAN, A GALAXY AS AN ELECTRON AND WHAT A GALAXY ORBITS AS A GIANT NUCLEOUS INVISIBLE FROM OUR PERSPECTIVE WE ARE TOO SMALL ONLY FROM OUTSIDE THE UNIVERSE SHOOTING GALAXIES AT IT WILL BE SEING ,IS A PROBLEM OF SCALE PROPORTIONS 1 TO 100000000000000000000000......
wmendez1977

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2010 02:24 pm
Galaxies orbits invisible giants nucleus of dark matter energy ,just like an electron orbits an atomic nucleus if it is not the same thing but in a different scale applied for everything ,size ,speed, distance,and the amount of energies or space colliding that creates all that time doesn't exist, 1 billion years for us here in earth would it mean only a fraction of a second in some point in the universe for somebady else.
0 Replies

g day

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2010 06:50 pm

To the original question - the simplified answer is galaxies orbit the bary centre of the next largest structure they are contained in. So galaxies orbit the bary centre of the local group or cluster they are contained within.

So for instance us. I orbit around my wife. Earth orbits around our Sun. Sun orbits the bary centre of our Solar system - which is a few thousand kilometres above the surface of the Sun - in the direction of Jupiter. Our solar system orbits the bary centre of our local spiral arm of the milky way. This arm orbits around the bary centre of the Milky Ways central buldge. Milk way orbits the Local Group's (nearest five galaxies) bary centre. Local group's bary centre orbits the Virgo clusters bary centre which orbits in the Virgo superclusters bary centre.

Once you go above supercluster size into filaments in the sloan wall its still the same principle - as bound by an N-body gravity model - where N gets really, really big and I don't remember the astronimical names for super structures large than a super cluster.
0 Replies

wmendez1977

Reply Sun 6 Feb, 2011 10:32 am
CORIOLIS EFFECT 3D
0 Replies

xrisxs

Reply Wed 9 Feb, 2011 06:02 pm
@aperson,
it is odd too me that after a sun is a big blob of nothing. so much a nothing that no thing can enter it, not even time....
0 Replies

Yagga

Reply Sun 27 Feb, 2011 06:17 pm
@stuh505,
The title astrophysicist does not deem a person 'factual in knowing'. Cosmology is speculative - as are many other a science.
Black Holes do not form from the death of a star. Black Holes are not Black Holes. Galaxies form together, many in a group down to 2 in a group. They form along the faults which scatter throughout a universe. I have a term ' Unigen' - the primal element. Hydrogen ( a product of extreme Unigen pressures ), flings off of the faults to go on and whirl into life. Now here is the bombshell - voids between the 'cosmic web' are infact Unigen. A 'solid' ,transparent material. The 'cosmic web' is infact a visual representation of the faulty universe. Faults, where massive energies are released, give us our matter.

(c)2010 Gareth Griffiths
0 Replies

wmendez1977

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2011 07:25 pm
@wmendez1977,
GRAVITY THE CURVATURE OF SPACE,THAT DEFLECTS LIGHT =INERTIA FORCE ,THE BLACK HOLES HIGH PRESSURE POINTS ,JUST LIKE THE EYE OF AN HURACAN.
0 Replies

serioustcyr

Reply Mon 9 May, 2011 06:26 pm
@g day,
GREAT SUMMARY!
0 Replies

Thewisdonkey

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2011 04:26 am
@littlek,
The proposed question in the beginning has been blown out of proportion. Im glad that such avid "bloggers" can get together to give basic knowledge of physics, but the question proposed was not one of the physics of attraction. This question is what we would call "Metaphysics". I did not read this sophomoric and interminably relentless "thread" to see if anybody came to this conclusion on their own, because i am not a "blogger". I am just not a dumbass. This is directed to "aperson". There are over 400 billion stars in our galaxy. it is clearly visible from the study of galaxies that they orbit something. So it would not be hard to purport that something denser than anything we can study exists, or else these patterns would not show up. Galaxies are not known to orbit anything in our observable universe. some seem to orbit themselves, others....who knows. So these galaxies must be held together by some sort of covalent bond, and so they form some sort of molecule, or in biochemistry "a polyatomic ion". this would mean that our "universe" as it was... would be only the building block of a cell, which as we know is the building block of a cognizant being. we live inside of a cell, one that is capable of redox, which is the basic process that allows an "animal" in our world, to manipulate it's very electrons to reduce or increase the amount of oxygen in it's body. Which means that we live in an animal... one that is developed enough to have cognizance of sensory patterns. we live inside of some huminoid in another macrodemmension. sorry for all of the unnecessary digressions, "aperson". if your not brain dead by now.
0 Replies

wmendez1977

Reply Mon 5 Nov, 2012 11:33 pm
JUST A BUBBLE
0 Replies

daanwjanssen

Reply Sun 11 Nov, 2012 04:23 pm
@aperson,
Well, it is important to realise, that it is not an object itself that something orbits, it is the center of mass of objects, for instance, the moon doesn't orbit the earth, but both the moon and the earth orbit around their collective center of mass, but because the earth is so much heavier than the moon, it seems like the moon orbits the earth, same with galaxies, the collective center of mass is inside the presumed black hole in the center of the galxy, so the galaxy orbits this object. There doesn't have to be an object in the center of the universe orbited by galaxies, but the galaxies will orbit around their collective center of mass, wich could just as well be in empty space.
Sorry for my English, I'm Dutch and it's late.
0 Replies