Laptop Troubles

cjhsa

Reply Fri 8 Sep, 2006 09:22 am
Today I plugged in my laptop at work and it wouldn't connect to the network. I finally discovered that DHCP has been disabled and that 192.168.0.1 had been hardcoded as the IP address for that network card.

So I got poking around and found this "Norton Security Center" on my Start menu, which I know I haven't used (at least lately). So I try to launch it and it doesn't launch. Repeatedly. So, I remove/delete if from the start menu. This takes way too long and obviously deletes more than just the link.

At this point I run a full scan with Norton, then with Pest Patrol, then Spybot S&D, Ad-Aware, and MS-Defender. For the most part, nothing, though Spybot reports a registry entry "WindowsFilewallNotify" as being off.

Another thing I'm noticing is that the Windows firewall keeps getting turned off when I reboot. So, guessing it was Norton, I've removed all of the Norton Security stuff I can find via add/remove programs.

At least now the Windows firewall doesn't get turned off when I reboot.

How do people here feel about Pest Patrol as a replacement for Norton?

Any recommendations on AV software that Windows can detect?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 848 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Heliotrope

Reply Fri 8 Sep, 2006 03:15 pm
Norton.
The Windoze firewall is rubbish. Keep it turned off and get Norton Internet Security back on there.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 8 Sep, 2006 09:37 pm
Re: Laptop Troubles
While better than nothing, any of the web-based firewall test sites reveal the native Windows Firewall is pretty much next to nothing. More on this in a bit, but first lets see what we can do about your problems with Norton. Whether or not you intend to reinstall any Norton apps, its best to thoroughly uninstall and remove all Norton from your machine - and Add/Remove Programs will leave stuff behind. Symantec provides specific removal tools designed to safely and effectively remove many of their products. . For versions of Norton products 2003 or later, see Using the Norton Removal Tool to remove all Norton 2006/2005/2004/2003 products from your computer. For versions prior to 2003, see Uninstalling Norton Internet Security or Personal Firewall 2003 or earlier using the RnisUPG.exe removal utility and Removing Norton AntiVirus 2003 or earlier by using the Rnav2003.exe removal utility.

Next, PestPatrol is not an antivirus. Its an OK anti-adware/spyware app, but will provide no protection against virus infections, nor against most trojan, worm, or rootkit infections. You need antivirus, anti-adware/spyware, and a real, configurable, 2-way firewall. There are suites which bundle the individual apps, and of course there are standalone versions of all of them out there. The bundles all are for-fee, some standalone products are for-fee and some, including some decent ones, are free. Whatever your preference, make your choice(s) and get yourself adequate protection.

Norton, McAfee, LavaSoft, TendMicro, and ZoneLabs offer well regarded, reliable, nicely featured, easy-to-deploy bundles, as do several other vendors. For folks not really into tweaking and twiddling, bundles are an excellent idea; at least you can figure the various included apps are engineered to work with one another. You apparently have had some experience with Norton, so I'd say that might be a good way for you to go - at least some of it should be somewhat familiar to you.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 12 Sep, 2006 07:09 am
OK, I reinstalled it. Even after running that uninstall utility it remembered that it was originally installed in October of 2005. How? Something in the registry?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 12 Sep, 2006 10:30 am
Yup. If ya wanna, you can use regedit to hunt town and remove the entries - search-for-and-delete everything named or containing (without the quotes) "norton" and "symantec". Also use Explorer, configfured to view all files and to view system folders, to locate and delete or rename all files and folders having (without the quotes) "norton" or "symantec" in the folder name, and all files containing either (without the quotes) "norton" or "symantec". When deleting or renaming folders, be sure you're dealing only with folders having either "norton" or "symantec" in the folder name, and when you're fussing with the registry, be sure to back up (to removable media is best) any key you intend to alter before doing anything to it.

Once you've done that, if you wish you can reinstall your original Norton or Symantec product, and if it is a current product, still eligible for support, your subscription date will begin with the date of reinstall, BTW.

Just wanna mention again, you need a dedicated antivirus and a full-featured firewall. While resource-intensive, Norton/Symantec AV and firewall products are top-rated, reliable, and highly effective. With contemporary fast processors (say 800 MHz and up) and adequate memory (say 256MB or greater), and current operating systems (Win2K or later), the resource issue should be minor if niticeable at all. Older systems with slower processors, less memory, and obsolete operating systems likely will have problems with current Norton/Symantec security/privacy products, but that isn't exclusively a Norton/Symantec issue; any of the newer stuff will choke older, obsolete systems, and many newer security/privacy products specifically will not install on or work with Win9x platforms.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 12 Sep, 2006 10:38 am
It's Norton IS 2005 running on a 2Ghz Sempron with 512MB of RAM with 128MB donated to the video card, XP Home.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 12 Sep, 2006 10:48 am
That oughtta run Norton/Symantec stuff fine.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Tue 12 Sep, 2006 10:54 am
I suspect terrorists have invaded the network, Be careful what you say about Iraqi nationals.
0 Replies

Equaliser

Reply Wed 13 Sep, 2006 06:42 am
cjhsa wrote:
OK, I reinstalled it. Even after running that uninstall utility it remembered that it was originally installed in October of 2005. How? Something in the registry?
Removing Norton can be a nightmare. It leaves shrapnell littering your registry.

This Norton removal tool will remove everything "Norton" from your system (but be careful ... I said EVERYTHING with the Norton name) ...

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039?Open&src=&docid=2001092114452606&nsf=nav.nsf&view=pfdocs&dtype=&prod=&ver=&osv=&osv_lvl=

Hope this helps.

E
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 13 Sep, 2006 10:24 am
Equaliser wrote:
This Norton removal tool will remove everything "Norton" from your system ...

As mentioned HERE, that Symantec utility is for removing Norton products subsequent to 2003 versions only. A nd as mentioned HERE, some manual cleanup remains to be done should you wish to totally remove all traces of Norton product. As cj noted, he used the utility, and his Norton "remembered" its original Oct '05 install date. As also mentioned earlier, a follow-up manual hunt-and-delete operation is required to remove all traces of Norton/Symantec product. For example, once the manual scouring has been done correctly, subject product has no way of "remembering" it had been on a system and may be reinstalled in "as new" condition; on reinstall, the product will request registration/activation just as it did when it originally was installed, with completion of the registration steps resulting in a new subscription calendar begining with date of reinstallation (though that will be functionally effective only for product still in current support cycle - updates and patches will not be available for retired product)
0 Replies