The New Movie Thread -- Been to the Multiplex Lately?

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 4 Oct, 2006 09:29 am
Thanks for the warning and you're, of course, not the only one who was dissapointed in this remake. Too many really superior superhero movies have reached the silver screen in the past decade, "Spiderman" and "Batman Begins" being at top of the list. I even liked Ang Lee's "Hulk," with smartly written dialogue and a good story, but dissapointing to some because it wasn't the typical rah, rah, rah superhero movie and delved into psychological themes and characters.
It's is true that the both the "Spiderman" movies and "Batman Begins" did this along with some CGI and action direction that was mind blowing. I loved the vintage look of BB.
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Wed 4 Oct, 2006 10:29 am
Looking forward to seeing "The Prestige."

No movie has been able to get me to the theaters of late, but this one might just be able to drag me out to see it.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Sun 22 Oct, 2006 10:22 am
sunday morning wrote:
I've been anticipating The Science of Sleep by Michel Gondry for quite some time now, pretty upset that it will be a limited release. Guess I'll have to wait till it comes on DVD.

All I can say is, WOW.

Everyone, do yourself a favor and see The Science of Sleep. This visually stunning, non-linear though easy-to-follow film captures the very fine idiosyncrasies of unrequited love. But not the stereotypical kind--it's love that's reciprocated with another, just as potent but incompatible kind of love.

And the movie has brilliantly funny moments. What better way to get your audience to fall in love with your characters? You'll feel like you've made two new friends. That's the best part of this film--unique nuanced characters whose relationship is incredibly well-scripted.

Enjoy!
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 22 Oct, 2006 12:27 pm
One to put on a list for NetFlix if you are not near art theaters.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0354899/

Fortunately, we have two multi-plex art theater venues in Orange County (not bad for being behind the Orange Curtain -- things have improved over the years so don't pay too much attention to the portrayals of TV's "The OC" and "Laguna Beach" where I live).
0 Replies

barrythemod

Reply Wed 25 Oct, 2006 04:48 am
Saw Scorses's The Departed at my local multiplex a few days ago.Waiting for Infernal Affairs to arrive on DVD befor commenting Cool
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 25 Oct, 2006 07:50 am
Scorcese's film is the best of the year to this date -- it's in the class of his "Mean Streets" and "Goodfellas." I was enlightened and entertained by the collaborative art of presenting a story with characters of great depth and dialogue that rang true. The production design of the film is just plain breathtaking.
0 Replies

barrythemod

Reply Fri 27 Oct, 2006 11:56 pm
barrythemod wrote:
Saw Scorses's The Departed at my local multiplex a few days ago.Waiting for Infernal Affairs to arrive on DVD befor commenting Cool

I think that it is to Scorses's benefit that few people in the western world will have seen the original. I.A. is superior in many respects,cinematography being paramount among these,BUT T.D. makes up for it in the acting department.In posts on other boards,I have stated that Nicholson is a great "baddy",Oscar nomination anyone????Hon Sam,the same charachter in I.A. comes over as just being a Tony Soprano charachter.
There is absolutly nothing between the two main charachters in either film.They all earned their pay-cheques.

When it comes down to it,these films are based on an average story.Both are carried by some great acting and a few intense action sequenses.

IMHO......a score draw.Both DVDs will sit side by side on my shelf.If you've never bothered watching a sub-titled film befor, I.A. would be a great starting point.Also,a word to the wise,avoid watching the english dubbed version of I.A. Shocked
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 28 Oct, 2006 11:58 am
The story has been done before, but then what story hasn't and especially in this genre. There have been episodes of The Sopranos that also touched on these areas. It's the storytelling that's the trick -- Scorcese tales something that could be episodic and confusing. and fashioned into a cinema masterpiece.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sat 28 Oct, 2006 12:29 pm
Lightwizard wrote:
I even liked Ang Lee's "Hulk," with smartly written dialogue and a good story, but dissapointing to some because it wasn't the typical rah, rah, rah superhero movie and delved into psychological themes and characters.
It's is true that the both the "Spiderman" movies and "Batman Begins" did this along with some CGI and action direction that was mind blowing. I loved the vintage look of BB.

We loved "The Hulk". Loved the paneled screen treatment, just like the comic book, and the psychological theme put it in a far different league than, say, Spiderman.

We loved "Batman Begins" also. While watching it, the building used for Wayne Enterprises (I think that was the name of his company) and the straight on angle from the el train struck me as so familiar and finally, a few days later it hit me. Being from Chicago, I'd seen that building many many times. It's the Chicago Board of Trade.

http://img56.imageshack.us/img56/2357/waynebuildingchgoboardie4.png
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 28 Oct, 2006 05:40 pm
Chicago is a good model for a Gotham City -- there was a PBS series on that city from it's conception through the World's Fair and it was great. I have it in my DVD collection and will try and pull it out to watch again.

"Batman Begins" did the impossible of being a better sequel than almost any I can think of and did not retread the original "Batman" movie.
0 Replies

happytaffy

Reply Fri 17 Nov, 2006 03:18 pm
I am really excited about seeing Apocalypto -- the Mayan civilization is a really interesting time period and I am really interested to see what Gibson does with it. anyone else excited?
0 Replies

barrythemod

Reply Sun 3 Dec, 2006 09:15 pm
Went to the Screening Room,which is located in the basement of the newly refurbished Picture House Greenwich for the first time today.Only 70 luxurious reclining seats and,as the Director Paul Andrew Williams (yes,he and main actor Sam Spruell and a Producer,who's name I forget,were present as well) described it,"Looks like a millionaires Home Theatre!"
The Q&A session after the film went on for well over an hour.

The film we saw was LONDON TO BRIGHTON.Made over 18 months ago for a basic £80 grand,this is one of the best films released this year! Unremittingly bleak and utterly gripping (think 80% Mike Leigh meets 20% Guy Ritchie). It shows just what British cinema is capable of when it refuses to play safe.It has also introduced us to Georgia Groome,a cracking 13 year old actress of wholm,I,m sure,we're gonna hear and see loads more in the future.
0 Replies

barrythemod

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 04:46 am
Went back to The Picturehouse in Greenwich yesterday to see THE FALL OF THE ROMAN EMPIRE,an oldie from 1964 and being shown in it's original 70mm with a 6-track (pre Dolby,DTS or SDDS) soundtrack.It was shown in the 150 seat theatre.Apart from me,there were 2 others.There's nothing like having a whole theatre to yourself Very Happy .An interval was included half way through due to it's 188 min running time.All that was missing was the Ice-Cream lady with her tray of goodies slung from her neck.
For the life of me,I can't remember seeing this film before,either at the cinema or on the telly.But boy,am I glad I did!The quality of a 70mm print has to be seen to be believed.I have only seen 3 other 70mm presentations before and each time,I had to schlep all the way to Leicester Square in London.
This is the film that Gladiator ripped off.Does this storyline sound familiar?........Ceasar's favorite General battles the Germans.Ceasar decides to make him,who happens to be a close friend of his wayward son,and lover to his daughter,his Heir.Ceasar is murdered,the bad son becomes Ceasar and proceeds to turn the glory of Rome into a decadent party.The efforts of our hero and his lover to keep the old Ceasar's dream of a noble and Republican Rome are continually thwarted by the new Ceasar,who sends our hero back to Germany.It all ends with massive battle sceenes,dancing in the streets of Rome,burning martyrs and the one-on-one fight to the death between our hero and the baddie Ceasar.
Looking at this film from today's pov,maybe a few sceenes were a bit too long,the music,at times,was a bit over the top,but as far as the acting is concerned,it was top notch !
This film is well worth a view,and for those in the UK,is available from Play.com for the princely sum of £5 including postage.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 19 Dec, 2006 02:47 pm
Of course, "Gladiator" is a thinly-veiled remake of "The Fall of the Roman Empire" plus other Roman historical flicks (well, it couldn't hardly not borrow). Can't wait for "Rome" to return to HBO in about a month. It has, at least, some innovative storylines that parallels historical fact. The soundtrack music for FOTRE is spectacular and achingly romantic at the same time. I'd have to check my CD to see who the composer was for this film. The "log fortress" was at the time, the largest ever built for a movie and that's missed in the concentration of the personal drama. "Gladiator" is not a great film but a very watchable film due to Ridley Scott coming out of the production design of movies in England.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 19 Dec, 2006 02:49 pm
It was Dimitri Tiompkin and the score won the Oscar!
0 Replies

barrythemod

Reply Sun 24 Dec, 2006 07:28 pm
Merry Christmas one and all.I spent my Christmas Eve in the company of Holly Golightly,"Fred", and cat,in,what is fast becoming my favorite local "movie house",The Greenwich Picturehouse.I was,of course,watching the fabulous Breakfast At Tiffany's.
My favorite bits.....
THAT long black dress that was recently sold for $800,000.
That little black dress with the big black hat and cream scarf.
That towel/sheet that looks like a Roman toga.
The wonderful dialogue,a very funny shop-lifting scene,the party,and the scene where Holly sings Moon River on the fire escape.Apparently,Henry Mancini was asked to write a song that would fit Ms Hepburn's very narrow vocal range.Anyone can hit ALL the notes.Try it ;-)

Wether or not Holly and Paul (Fred) end up together is ultimatley less important than wether they can forgive each other-and themselves-for the many errors of their ways.
Capote's New York is not a place where redemption comes easily,but,maybe,these two ("cat" included) can find it.They all deserve a happy ending.
0 Replies

barrythemod

Reply Mon 25 Dec, 2006 12:33 pm
Audrey Hepburn and Marilyn Monroe both within 24 hours! This is a merry christmas.Just finished watching Some Like It Hot
The pace is snappy,the direction clear and elegant,a fabulous script,georgeous frocks,great music,wonderful hair and makeup (especially for Daphne and Geraldine).The sub-plot is irrisistably funny and neither Lemmon or Curtis puts a foot wrong.Just in case you've been living on Mars for the last 40 odd years,I won't tell you the final punch-line.Billy Wilder said they were sweating over that punch-line all through filming,not knowing how to finish the film.Clearly,the sweat was worth it.The film is perfect from start to brilliant punch-line.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 26 Dec, 2006 12:00 pm
Saw "The Holiday" as I thought Mom would like it. A traditional romantic comedy about two women who impulsively switch homes, one in the milieu of the Hollywood Hills and the other in rural England. It was surprisingly good for its thirties-forties conventions with Jack Black, Kate Winslet, Cameron Diaz and Jude Law all forming characters who one can get attached to. Okay, it's an unabashed chick flick but I think the guys might tune in on this one.
0 Replies

Dorothy Parker

Reply Sun 31 Dec, 2006 10:40 am
Took my daughter to see "A Night At The Museum" .

Thoroughly enjoyed by us both.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Sun 31 Dec, 2006 12:04 pm
I was thinking of going to see that, GD. It sounded good in the reviews.

Glad you both enjoyed it.
0 Replies