!!! bad checksum! (Huh?)

msolga

Reply Thu 7 Sep, 2006 09:31 pm
Spybot search & destroy update question:

This morning, during an update, one of the "detection" updates refused to work.
Instead, I received this message, along with a red "banned" sign where the green tick (indicating the update had gone ahead) should have been:
!!! bad checksum!

Can anyone explain what happened & why?
& what does "bad checksum" actually mean?

Thanks in advance,
Olga
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,054 • Replies: 12
No top replies

Intrepid

Reply Thu 7 Sep, 2006 09:35 pm
This simply means that the server is being overloaded with many people trying to download at the same time.

You can click on the top where it shows different sites and choose another one. This will often work. Nothing to worry about.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 7 Sep, 2006 09:37 pm
That was quick!
Thank you, Intrepid! Very Happy

I'll try again at another time.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 7 Sep, 2006 09:48 pm
Tell you what though - update or no update, it's amazing how my internet just zips right along after a Spybot & Ad-aware fix! I was thinking there was something faulty with A2K, it was so sluggish! Then I remembered it's been something like 3 weeks since I did my last downloads & scans. Wow, am I fast now???! Yay! Very Happy
0 Replies

Pantalones

Reply Thu 7 Sep, 2006 09:52 pm
From the technical side:

Checksum is something used to check the integrity of the information being sent from one computer to another.

So when you send a message, your pc will run an algorithm on the message and come with a number. When the other pc receives the message it'll run the same algorithm and compare it's number with the one your pc sent. If they're the same it means that there was no errors with the transmission.

So in summary, the message didn't reach it's destination the way it was supposed to.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 7 Sep, 2006 09:55 pm
Thanks for that explanation, Pantalones! Very clear! (I wish I could talk technical like that! <sigh & duh> :wink: )
0 Replies

Pantalones

Reply Thu 7 Sep, 2006 10:02 pm
That's one of the only things I remember from my networks class last semester. And I'm happy it was useful in some way Smile.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 7 Sep, 2006 10:10 pm
You were!
Thanks again.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 7 Sep, 2006 10:16 pm
um.... anything else (apart from Spybot & Ad-aware) that a girl should be doing these days, anyone? I'm talking free, I'm afraid.
Of course I have an anti-virus program. (Trend)
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Thu 7 Sep, 2006 10:57 pm
Its sometimes not a bad idea to run an alternative antivrus scan.

panda active scan

I use E trust on my machine then once every 3 months or so scan with panda online.

You will need to use internet explorer as your browser. The Panda website will place an active x on your computer, all safe and above board. It just takes time. oh and turn off your trend and or any other AV yuck wear live scanning programs before scanning with panda. They may clash.
Sometimes Panda will pick up on things the other Av doesnt.

Clean out your temporary internet files. I do this manually with win XP. Right click your start button, left click explore, select and open your user name. select local settings, select temporary internet files, select content.ie5 empty the contents of each file to your recycle bin. select files using the shift and arrow keys then hit delete if you encounter a message
that "this is a system file" choose do not delete. There is probably a program to do this automaticaly someplace (?CCleaner?) but i find its just as easy to use the manual method.
0 Replies

Equaliser

Reply Fri 8 Sep, 2006 04:12 am
Hi msolga

Have a read through this handy little guide to the basics of free protection ...

http://www.help2go.com/Tutorials/Protect_Your_PC/Avoid_Web_Browser_Hijackers.html

All the info & links to the downloads are there so you just "click & install".

Includes links to free AV if you want to move from Trend.

Best of luck. Hope it helps.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2006 04:41 am
An alternative virus scan, dadpad? OK, I'll think about that!
Thank you. Very Happy

Thanks for that link, Equaliser! Will check it out a bit more thoroughly in a few days. (A wee bit over-extended right now!)
And welcome to A2K. Nice to meet you! Very Happy
0 Replies

Equaliser

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2006 03:02 pm
msolga wrote:
Thanks for that link, Equaliser! Will check it out a bit more thoroughly in a few days. (A wee bit over-extended right now!)
And welcome to A2K. Nice to meet you! Very Happy
You're welcome. And thanks for the greeting.

E
0 Replies