Disappearing Act ? For the Rapture Lovers

Reply Thu 7 Sep, 2006 01:48 pm
Disappearing Act ?
For the Rapture Lovers

John 17:15 I pray not that thou shouldest take them out of the world, but that thou shouldest keep them from the evil.

When One examines John 17:15 it seems to be in contradiction with the assumption that is known as the rapture.

So please, is there anyone out there who can correctly reconcile this verse with that doctrine?

What is the reason for John 17:15? Why would Jesus pray against the removal of Believers from the earth while others teach that they will be magically removed?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,345 • Replies: 66
No top replies

EpiNirvana

Reply Thu 7 Sep, 2006 03:52 pm
i guessed the reasoning is that he wants his believers here to preach in times of hardship to the nonbelievers.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 7 Sep, 2006 05:03 pm
Thanks for reducing the volume of words, Mindy. I'll go with my answer posted here, in which I point out that the doctrine of the rapture is not scriptural.
0 Replies

EpiNirvana

Reply Thu 7 Sep, 2006 06:20 pm
neologist wrote:
I agree with you about the rapture, Mindy. At least I think I do; but your avalanche of words has once again obfuscated your intent.

The word 'rapture' does not appear in the bible. Interestingly enough, Solomon once wrote "For the upright are the ones that will reside in the earth, and the blameless are the ones that will be left over in it. 22 As regards the wicked, they will be cut off from the very earth; and as for the treacherous, they will be torn away from it." (Proverbs 2:21,22)

Im intrested, so what do you think about Revelation?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 7 Sep, 2006 09:10 pm
EpiNirvana wrote:
neologist wrote:
I agree with you about the rapture, Mindy. At least I think I do; but your avalanche of words has once again obfuscated your intent.

The word 'rapture' does not appear in the bible. Interestingly enough, Solomon once wrote "For the upright are the ones that will reside in the earth, and the blameless are the ones that will be left over in it. 22 As regards the wicked, they will be cut off from the very earth; and as for the treacherous, they will be torn away from it." (Proverbs 2:21,22)

Specifically?
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Fri 8 Sep, 2006 06:41 am
EpiNirvana wrote:

I must side with Neologist here. That's a very vague question as the topic of Revelation, Rapture and Tribulation is a very large one.

There's pre-Tribulation, post-Tribulation...

The idea that Revelation is the product of hatred against Romans and that most of the "prophecies" refer to the destruction of Rome.
0 Replies

kate4christ03

Reply Mon 11 Sep, 2006 10:16 am
john 17:15 doesnt contradict the belief of a rapture.....in verses 6-19 Christ is praying for his apostles....he is praying that God sanctifies the apostles and keeps them from the "evil one" so that they can spread the gospel...he didn't want them removed from the earth at that time bc they were needed to be his witnesses to the world....

this verse is about sanctification not the rapture or a contradiction to the rapture belief.....
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 11 Sep, 2006 10:18 am
kate4christ03 wrote:
john 17:15 doesnt contradict the belief of a rapture.....in verses 6-19 Christ is praying for his apostles....he is praying that God sanctifies the apostles and keeps them from the "evil one" so that they can spread the gospel...he didn't want them removed from the earth at that time bc they were needed to be his witnesses to the world....

this verse is about sanctification not the rapture or a contradiction to the rapture belief.....
True, the rapture doctrine is false in its own right.
0 Replies

kate4christ03

Reply Mon 11 Sep, 2006 10:26 am
1thes 4:16-17 For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first: Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught uptogether with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.

Rapture is a latin word for Harpizo (greek) which means caught up...... Christians disagree as to when the rapture will happen...Pre trib...Mid trib...Post trib...but you cant get around this verse that shows we will be caught up to meet Christ in the sky........regardless of when you believe it will happen
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 11 Sep, 2006 10:40 am
But doesn't the rapture doctrine claim the ones left behind are the ones who have been disapproved?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 11 Sep, 2006 10:47 am
Do we get to keep your SUVs and Condos?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 11 Sep, 2006 10:57 am
Setanta wrote:
Do we get to keep your SUVs and Condos?
Only so long as there is gas and electricity.
0 Replies

kate4christ03

Reply Mon 11 Sep, 2006 12:28 pm
neo the rapture doctorine aligns with the bible....those that are in Christ will be caught up....those that are unsaved won't.....
Pre tribbers believe that the rapture paul speaks of happens bf the great trib
Mid tribbers believe that the rapture happens sometime during the seven yr trib
Post tribbers believe that the rapture happens at the end of the trib....

and then there is the partial rapture theory this is the belief that only the best most holy christians get raptured while the other christians go through the trib (personally i think this is the dumbest)
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 11 Sep, 2006 12:43 pm
When viewing several examples of abject stupidity, i have always found it hard to choose which is the "stupidest."
0 Replies

kate4christ03

Reply Mon 11 Sep, 2006 01:03 pm
well Setanta since its stupid to you, you may have my honda when im raptured Laughing
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 11 Sep, 2006 01:05 pm
I have no interest in rice-burning motorbikes, but all the bible thumpers can't leave too soon to suit me . . .
0 Replies

kate4christ03

Reply Mon 11 Sep, 2006 01:07 pm
lol setanta who peed in your cheerios
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 11 Sep, 2006 01:09 pm
Nobody . . . i'm havin' fun here, whether or not anyone else is . . . don't you boys and girls let the door hit ya in the ass, now . . .
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Mon 11 Sep, 2006 01:15 pm
Re: Disappearing Act ? For the Rapture Lovers
Mindonfire wrote:
Disappearing Act ?
For the Rapture Lovers

John 17:15 I pray not that thou shouldest take them out of the world, but that thou shouldest keep them from the evil.

When One examines John 17:15 it seems to be in contradiction with the assumption that is known as the rapture.

So please, is there anyone out there who can correctly reconcile this verse with that doctrine?

What is the reason for John 17:15? Why would Jesus pray against the removal of Believers from the earth while others teach that they will be magically removed?

Ecclesiastes 3
1 To everything there is a season,

A time for every purpose under heaven:
2 A time to be born,
And a time to die;
A time to plant,
And a time to pluck what is planted;
3 A time to kill,
And a time to heal;
A time to break down,
And a time to build up;
4 A time to weep,
And a time to laugh;
A time to mourn,
And a time to dance;
5 A time to cast away stones,
And a time to gather stones;
A time to embrace,
And a time to refrain from embracing;
6 A time to gain,
And a time to lose;
A time to keep,
And a time to throw away;
7 A time to tear,
And a time to sew;
A time to keep silence,
And a time to speak;
8 A time to love,
And a time to hate;
A time of war,
And a time of peace.
0 Replies

kate4christ03

Reply Mon 11 Sep, 2006 01:21 pm
when we are changed in " twinkling of an eye and caught up" , doors won't hinder us :wink:
0 Replies