What contributes most to your successful moments?

Reply Thu 5 Jun, 2003 09:13 am
Is it the sheer force of your will, is it a Taoist 'just let it happen' approach, is it cold linear thought, or maybe expecting the worse thereby making good things feel better, or do you think spherically? I am sure there are many more approaches...I would like to hear about them.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 5,784 • Replies: 31
No top replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Thu 5 Jun, 2003 09:15 am
Thick skin, willingness to get knocked down, and positive attitude.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 5 Jun, 2003 09:16 am
I agree with Slappy, actually. (Er, that sounded a bit too surprised. How about "I agree with Slappy, of course!")

The willingness to continue to try despite being knocked down is the biggie.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 5 Jun, 2003 09:17 am
Force of will is out of the starting gate...looking forward to more thoughts...
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 5 Jun, 2003 09:20 am
I'll let you know when I have some...

No, really, I do my best when I'm relaxed -- when focus is easy, then there's not a lot of mental static between me and the task at hand. But, then, I'm more successful at manipulating objects and ideas than people, so if I can really bend all my attention on the obect or idea at hand, things generally go well.

Which all starts in the body, for me: elminating irrelevant tension.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Thu 5 Jun, 2003 09:22 am
The one thing that trumps all other things. Tenacity.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 5 Jun, 2003 09:31 am
I think this may be one of those questions that need to be better defined before they can be answered. What do you mean by "successful moments"? I would have different answers for different definitions. For example, I would consider the ribbon-cutting on my brand-new, me-designed agency as a "successful moment", but that had many, many, many components leading up to it. Tenacity would indeed be a leading reason for that "successful moment."

But if you mean something narrower, something more defined and finite, my answer might be different, more like patiodog's. If I have a specific challenge in front of me -- say, meeting with two extremely objectionable members of the committee of which I am president to try to get them to stop warring -- I have a, hmm, zone maybe that I purposely go into. It's kind of a clarifying thing, I like what patiodog says about mental static. Just a deep intake of breath, slight adjustment in posture, intense focus coupled with physical relaxation, and whammo. Hard to describe, but the key thing in that mode is that information is received, swirled around, and (-- ack, ASL sign, can't think of English translation -- synthesized? Sort of.) synthesized so that solutions are readily visible.

Gawd, that made no sense. (NOT in that zone just now. Razz)
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Thu 5 Jun, 2003 09:33 am
Sozobe if you're having trouble saying what you mean try again and keep trying until you're satisified you have it right .

Be tenacious about it. Very Happy :wink:
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 5 Jun, 2003 09:36 am
Phhhtbbt!!!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 5 Jun, 2003 09:39 am
Let's go with 'your success', and this can be defined as either professional or personal....this is philosophy and debate, not science. Smile
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 5 Jun, 2003 09:39 am
Hmmmm. Would that be "tenacious" or "tendentious"?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 5 Jun, 2003 09:41 am
I have more then ten teeth, thankyouverymuch.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Thu 5 Jun, 2003 09:42 am
Somebody get me a towel..... Shocked Very Happy
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 5 Jun, 2003 09:52 am
been browsing with the parental controls turned off, eh, bear?
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Thu 5 Jun, 2003 10:09 am
Treating her like sh!t works too.

Just kidding.

I swear.
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Thu 5 Jun, 2003 10:11 am
Being very politically astute usually works for me - well, that is the kind of environment I work in.....
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 5 Jun, 2003 10:14 am
Astute in general is a good question....for me, the ability to read people is very important.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 5 Jun, 2003 10:47 am
A Happy Life. c.i.
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Thu 5 Jun, 2003 11:39 am
A/ Doing something you enjoy doing and want to do

B/ Knowing you are good at it, confidence.

C/ Being able to think/plan on your feet, making instantaneous decisions.
0 Replies

midnight

Reply Thu 5 Jun, 2003 01:29 pm
Re: What contributes most to your successful moments?
cavfancier wrote:
Is it the sheer force of your will, is it a Taoist 'just let it happen' approach, is it cold linear thought, or maybe expecting the worse thereby making good things feel better, or do you think spherically? I am sure there are many more approaches...I would like to hear about them.

A bit of many things. For me its mostly being observant enough to see an opportunity and active enough to seize it. I'm not shy about asking for what I want over and over again. I don't let the world forget what I trying to accomplish. If people know what I'm looking at doing they will usually help stear me in the right direction. Definitely not being afraid to ask.
0 Replies