CD RW Question

JRE6242

Reply Tue 5 Sep, 2006 11:21 pm
I have a lot of MP3 files and am trying to convert them to CD Audio and transfer them to CDs so they can be played in older portable CD players.

The burner program I am using is CD BurnerXP Pro 3. It is a freeware version but works good for what I am doing.

I used the rest of my "name brand" CDs (3 of them) and everything works fine and plays in a couple older CD players. I buy the "house brand" CDs this time at a local office supply store. Burn 1 CD, no problem. Run in to 4 "bad disks". Burn another CD. Another run of several CDs that wont work. Burn a CD .........

Ok, I realize I bought cheaper CDs but is it really possible to run in to that many bad CDs? Out of 25 CDs (half of what I bought) I found 4 disks that I could write on.

1 of 2 things will happen on these "bad disks". 1) the computer locks up, have to reboot. 2) The disk is not read at all (if I go through My Computer and right click on E: I get a message saying "please insert a disk".

Just to make sure it wasn't the burning program I am using I tried the above with Windows Media Player with the same results.

Anything I can do to make these work?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 621 • Replies: 2
No top replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 5 Sep, 2006 11:33 pm
Re: CD RW Question
JRE6242 wrote:
Ok, I realize I bought cheaper CDs but is it really possible to run in to that many bad CDs?

Yup - obviously; you've had the evidence presented to you first-hand.
Quote:
Anything I can do to make these work?

Since they've got holes through the center, they're not even good coasters. They'll work for some onrnamental applications, and they make good bird deterents hung from lihghtweight line so they spin and flash in the breeze. With a little ingenuity, they'll work OK as skeets, too.

So ... whatchya got there is 4 shiny things with little practical application and something of a lesson. Not all "Bargain" writable disks are junk - just enough of 'em to guarantee a market for major name brand media.
0 Replies

Heliotrope

Reply Thu 7 Sep, 2006 02:52 pm
As Timber' says, cheapo disks are not only rubbish thay waste your time and effort and most importantly of all : cash.
Same goes for cheapo DVDs but even worse.

Decent disks don't cost much more than the cheapo ones.
But they actually work.
Stay away from buying the stack-packs of 25 or more disks. They rotate in their packaging during shipping and can be destroyed before you get your hands on them.
Stick to individual disks in packs of 10 with proper cases so that you have somewhere to store them and keep your data intact after you've gone to the trouble of burning the disk.
0 Replies