My life is pointless!

agrote

Reply Tue 5 Sep, 2006 07:57 pm
I don't believe in God, I don't believe that I have a soul, and I don't believe in any kind of objective morality.

If everyone I knew died, I would be totally alone. In a way, I might as well be totally alone already. Nothing I do can every be right or wrong in any 'real' way. When I die, I'll just be dead - nothing fancy. In a way, I might as well be dead already.

What's the point in anything?

Very Happy
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,010 • Replies: 49
No top replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Tue 5 Sep, 2006 08:00 pm
There is no point. You have accidentally explained the meaning of life.
0 Replies

Bawb

Re: My life is pointless!
agrote wrote:
I don't believe in God, I don't believe that I have a soul, and I don't believe in any kind of objective morality.

If everyone I knew died, I would be totally alone. In a way, I might as well be totally alone already. Nothing I do can every be right or wrong in any 'real' way. When I die, I'll just be dead - nothing fancy. In a way, I might as well be dead already.

What's the point in anything?

Very Happy

Everyone you know is not going to die. You will never be totally alone. If everyone you know dies in some freak accident, you could meet new people. If they died, you could talk to people here, on Able2Know.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Hmm. Did ya ever eat a dog down at Coney Island, or bungy jump out of a cesna? Come on, do something.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Tue 5 Sep, 2006 08:54 pm
Agrote, what you need to do is stop thinking about yourself and do something that will change the life of someone else. Help someone learn to read, donate money to someone who needs medical treatment and can't afford it, take a fatherless child to a baseball game, find a financially struggling student and pay for their books for a semester, contact a local vet and offer to pay for some poor old lady's cat care, spend time with elderly relative who can't drive anymore. The list is endless. You can create meaning in your life by making life better for others. You don't have to believe in a god or eternity to bring meaning into your life. I have no idea if there is a god or a heaven or a hell or if Brad and Angelina will stay together, but I prefer to live my life like it matters and not worry about the fact that I may just be a pile of compost some day.

According to Green Witch Family Legend: Almost 100 years ago, a stranger on the streets of NYC, gave my immigrant grandfather (who was a child at the time and probably looking a little starved) one dollar and told him to use it wisely. My grandfather gave that dollar to his mother who in turn bought the ingredients to make some sweet rolls. My grandfather and his sister were sent out the next morning to sell the rolls by the trolly stop. Eventually, this little kitchen business, started with one dollar, lead to the family opening a bakery. I believe a person can leave a legacy in one tiny act that will make life better for generations to come.

Live like it matters- and it will.
0 Replies

Chaplin

Reply Tue 5 Sep, 2006 09:48 pm
Know thyself; don't waste it on meaningless assumptions that destroys your hopes and dreams.

You make life's values by establishing goals for yourself; only you can do it.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Tue 5 Sep, 2006 10:23 pm
You might live each day as if yesterday were your last. I like to consider my life in that light: it's all gravy. There is no point in the sense of purpose or goal; each moment is its own fulfillment. When we think in terms of purpose we become very disillusioned and depressed. Just eat a hotdog with lots of mustard and a little relish (my taste)--as a religious act.
0 Replies

Chaplin

Reply Tue 5 Sep, 2006 11:48 pm
JLN, That's easy for you to say! You have already accomplished more than most people on this planet with your PhD. That's quite an accomplishment; you can now enjoy your hot dog any way you like. Wink
0 Replies

agrote

Reply Wed 6 Sep, 2006 06:49 am
Green Witch wrote:
Agrote, what you need to do is stop thinking about yourself and do something that will change the life of someone else. Help someone learn to read, donate money to someone who needs medical treatment and can't afford it, take a fatherless child to a baseball game, find a financially struggling student and pay for their books for a semester, contact a local vet and offer to pay for some poor old lady's cat care, spend time with elderly relative who can't drive anymore. The list is endless. You can create meaning in your life by making life better for others. You don't have to believe in a god or eternity to bring meaning into your life. I have no idea if there is a god or a heaven or a hell or if Brad and Angelina will stay together, but I prefer to live my life like it matters and not worry about the fact that I may just be a pile of compost some day.

According to Green Witch Family Legend: Almost 100 years ago, a stranger on the streets of NYC, gave my immigrant grandfather (who was a child at the time and probably looking a little starved) one dollar and told him to use it wisely. My grandfather gave that dollar to his mother who in turn bought the ingredients to make some sweet rolls. My grandfather and his sister were sent out the next morning to sell the rolls by the trolly stop. Eventually, this little kitchen business, started with one dollar, lead to the family opening a bakery. I believe a person can leave a legacy in one tiny act that will make life better for generations to come.

Live like it matters- and it will.

What for?
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 6 Sep, 2006 07:04 am
Because it will make YOU happy.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 6 Sep, 2006 07:10 am
agrote wrote:
My life is pointless!

Mine too, but thats the least of my problems.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 6 Sep, 2006 07:14 am
nimh wrote:
agrote wrote:
My life is pointless!

Mine too, but thats the least of my problems.

Nonsense nimh, your life is not pointless. I get a little thrill everytime I see your name pop up on a post.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 6 Sep, 2006 09:02 am
Awww... that is sweet. And I didnt know, either. Thank you.
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Wed 6 Sep, 2006 10:10 am
Nobody's life is pointless. The point might not be readily apparent, however.
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Wed 6 Sep, 2006 10:22 am
Let's get something straight here.

Our lives are pointless, unless your parents had a specific reason for making you in which case you might consider that to be your purpose.

But being pointless doesn't make our lives WORTHLESS!
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Wed 6 Sep, 2006 10:38 am
agrote wrote:
My life is pointless!

Mine could be, too. But I made it meaningful and...interesting.
0 Replies

Chaplin

Reply Wed 6 Sep, 2006 10:44 am
Francis, I admire your attitutde; we make of life by what we try to achieve. Giving up is not an option.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Wed 6 Sep, 2006 10:55 am
Chaplin wrote:
Francis, I admire your attitutde; we make of life by what we try to achieve. Giving up is not an option.

Always bend, never surrend, my friend! Very Happy
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 6 Sep, 2006 11:10 am
I never ever thought my life was pointless - just the contrary actually,
and I intend to live it to its fullest till the last drop of blood is gone.

Actually, no ones life is pointless. It can be simple and refreshing for
just about anybody Smile
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Wed 6 Sep, 2006 12:33 pm
Your life is what you make it. If you want to sit there and feel pitiful about yourself, do so. But there is nothing gained by it.

Get out and explore the world, it doesn't matter if its your own neighborhood, backyard or you drive through the county in which you live in, you might be surprised at what you'd find to do or who'd you meet.

I could take up ten pages of how my life has really stunk this past summer, but I choose to see and find the brighter side of this hellish experience!!!
0 Replies