Americanadian

Reply Sat 30 Sep, 2006 09:36 pm
Sudan is one of only 5 remaining countries in the world that do not have a centralized bank. Iraq and Afghanistan were #6 & #7. The other remaining countries are; Iran, N.Korea, Libya, Cuba.

Mighty interesting that these countries are all on the so-called "radar" lately.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 30 Sep, 2006 11:56 pm
American Adain - can you get into more detail, please?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 4 Oct, 2006 06:34 pm
In depth detail about continued violence towards refuge women.
Quote:

BBC I found 21 women and girls have been raped in the camp in the past two weeks.
In ONE camp.

The UA is so useless right now, that they can't even protect people who leave the camp for firewood. The UN is still unwelcome.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 6 Oct, 2006 07:04 pm
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/5365770.stm
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 8 Oct, 2006 05:04 am
http://i12.tinypic.com/2dkbr5i.jpg

Online report: Jailed for 34 days, Tribune reporter writes of: My time in Darfur

http://i12.tinypic.com/40p9zdh.jpg
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 12 Oct, 2006 09:34 pm
shevykapita wrote:
on the subject of Sudan, I find it interesting that the Muslim people who burned embassies because of the Muhammad cartoons are silent when thousands of Muslims in Darfur are being butchered by the Janjaweed.

Excellent point.

I find it interesting as well when people who argue that the UN was the appropriate body, and not the US, to address Iraq now want to blame the US for not doing more than the UN in Darfur.

I consider myself consistent: I was for US intervention in Iraq, and I am for US intervention in Darfur. There was however, an arguably strategic value in intervening in Iraq and it is far less so in The Sudan. It seems to me that one should either make a real politik argument for any and all interventions (in which case Darfur probably comes up short) or endorse the notion of the US intervening in every serious trouble spot in the world.
The argument that we should intervene in only those areas where we have no strategic interest, at least to me, is ludicrous. Of course no one is about to state that as being their policy for US military intervention , but it is what it amounts to far too often.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 3 Nov, 2006 05:17 pm
Killings continue, many of the dead are young children. Evidence says that the governemnt is arming, not disarming, the rebels.

3 years on. 200,000 dead.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/6113232.stm

Also, an interesting debate between an American Darfur expert and an Egyptian editor on the topic of foreign action in the region.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/6058920.stm
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 16 Dec, 2006 09:48 am
Celebrity George Clooney joins the fight....... http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/6185125.stm
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 16 Dec, 2006 11:26 am
Article in last week's (Dec 5th - 15th) The Economist on oil and war in Sudan. Difficult to summarize, but South Sudan is still there, just not getting as much attention, lately. Seems the south has the oil; the north has the accountants and foreign investments, especially from the gulf states.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 23 Dec, 2006 03:33 pm
BBC

BBC reports that Sudan is accepting 'in principal' the presence of UN troups.

Quote:
The UN has been urging Sudan to implement a plan to strengthen the existing African Union (AU) force with dozens of UN experts.

The force is then to be expanded into a hybrid force, with UN troops providing logistical and other support. The aim is for most troops to come from African countries.

Mr Magli told the BBC's Newshour radio programme Sudan had accepted the plan "to beef up the under-equipped, underfunded AU forces in Darfur to show its flexibility... with a view to showing its seriousness to bring this crisis to a halt."
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 1 Jan, 2007 01:58 am
Now that Real Politik is back in fashion in Washington and so many Democrats seem to have been reborn realists, one has to wonder what American interests are at risk in The Sudan that our intervention is warranted (from a realist point of view).
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 1 Jan, 2007 11:29 pm
Just human life........

I dunno if anyone here is suggesting we intervene in any way other than politically or economically. But, I haven't read up.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2007 10:00 pm
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/6236381.stm
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 7 Jan, 2007 01:52 am
littlek wrote:
Just human life........

I dunno if anyone here is suggesting we intervene in any way other than politically or economically. But, I haven't read up.

I agree that the preservation of human life is in the interest of America, and, in my neo-con way, will further argue that so is the advancement of democracy. The latter is arguably more in the strategic interest of America than the former.

In any case, we have seen the limitations of political and economic intervention in harder cases than The Sudan. The slaughter in The Sudan will not be stopped by economic pressure, and what is political pressure if it is not based on economic and/or military threats?

Individuals who actually go to The Sudan to help the victims are admirable heroes, but let's face it, they are shovelling sh*t against the tide. This does not in any way minimize their actions, but their actions will not put a halt to the slaughter.

The ways in which the tragedy in The Sudan will come to an end are very limited:

1) The aggressors will succeed in their efforts and there will not be anyone left to rape and kill
2) The people will manage to overthrow the government
3) External forces will intervene militarily

As horrible as it seems, #1 has a much better chance of occurring than #2.

This leave military intervention.

What can be done economically to an elite ruling class that has been sucking their nation's and their people's blood dry for years? Look to Iraq for the answer. A government that is content with killing it's citizens, is not going to change its ways because the rest of the world can make it economically difficult for those citizens. There will always be enough wealth and privilege for the powerful few.

What needs to be done will not be done unless America does it, and considering the political fall out from our last attempt at intervention, what politician, Republican or Democrat, will argue that we should intervene militarily in The Sudan?

If the UN was worth anything, it would be able to mount a military intervention in The Sudan, but of course it is not.

Unfortunately for The Sudan, it never really was much of a colonial holding and therefore there are no trace sentiments originating in the 19th century that tie it to a European nation. Certainly no European nation is about to intervene simply because the slaughter of innocents is horrendous.

When horrible people do horrible things it takes horrible means to stop them - killing and maiming.

What can America do though?

We could easily mow over the current government, and that would temporarily stop the slaughter, but what would happen when we left?

It is all well and good to clamor for the cessation of the horrible acts of horrible people, but such clamor is of little value, if any.

In the past few months there were a series of TV ads by a group which claimed to be advocating an effort to stop the slaughter. Their message?
"Tell President Bush to stop the slaughter in Darfur!"

As if Bush was causing it?

As if Bush could throw a switch and stop it, but for some perverse reason chose not to?

The partisan nature of these ads was sickening, because they attempted to somehow link the ongoing slaughter to Bush.

Nowhere in the ads did the group suggest how Bush might stop the killing, and it is fairly certain that the same people behind the ads were screaming bloody murder about our last military intervention - Iraq.

It doesn't matter if the President were Bush or Kerry, Clinton, Edwards or Obama. The US is not going to do what must be done to stop the slaughter, just as it did not do what had to be done to stop the slaughter in Rwanda.

No vital interests in The Sudan or Rwanda for that matter. Human life in places like Rwanda and The Sudan are not the vital interests of America. What happens to our way of life if everyone in both countries are exterminated?

Personally, I think our national character is greatly diminished when we fail to try and stop these atrocities and that our national character is clearly a vital interest of our nation, but this is a position demeaned by Realists and Liberals alike as "neo-con."

If we do not eventually achieve a reasonable victory in Iraq, then we can look forward to the return of the Realists, the very same people who are willing to dance with the devil for the sake of stability and turn a blind eye to horrendous suffering in the saddest places on Earth.

The Liberals who cry for Darfur and rant about Iraq will, in part, be responsible, and there will be many many more tragic slaughterhouses for them to cry about. However, they can banter back and forth on threads like this and feel better for doing something about the slaughter.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 22 Jan, 2007 07:51 pm
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/6288443.stm

The government military broke up a party - UN and AU workers were detained and some were abused to the point of needing medical attention. Alcohol use is illegal in Sudan.

Quote:
The Sudanese government has not intervened to protect Darfur's battered population from the brutal Janjaweed militia. But when aid workers, African Union peacekeepers and UN staff held a Friday night party in Nyala - Darfur's biggest town - it felt it had to step in.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 25 Feb, 2007 10:27 am
Just a reminder - the genocide continues. While the Sudanese president was lloking like it'd except UN troops and aid, it is starting to voice (paranoid) concerns that the Western nations are trying to take over the government.

BBC
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 09:42 pm
WNPR has a several audio pieces on Darfur.......

Naming war criminals in the international court: War Criminals

Susan Rice calls for U.S. military intervention in Darfur: Susan Rice

A little of the above and life in the camps: Refugees
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 09:45 pm
littlek wrote:
WNPR has a several audio pieces on Darfur.......

Naming war criminals in the international court: War Criminals

Susan Rice calls for U.S. military intervention in Darfur: Susan Rice

A little of the above and life in the camps: Refugees

I am in sympathy with what you are trying to do here. Just haven't been posting about it.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 09:49 pm
Thank you, Edgar. I'm glad I'm not alone.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 9 Apr, 2007 09:16 pm
Quote:
....It is a big week for Darfur and the Khartoum government with the back-to-back visits from the Chinese envoy, Zhai Jun, Mr Mbeki, and US Deputy Secretary of State John Negroponte.

Mr Negroponte arrives later this week and is likely to bring a warning straight from Washington, that President George W Bush is losing patience and is considering tougher sanctions.

Mr Mbeki, one of the African Union's most important leaders, is to arrive on Tuesday, and these three men represent the key international players trying to resolve Darfur's four-year-old conflict.

Though approaching the problem from different angles, their missions are all the same - to break the impasse between Sudan and the international community over the deployment of a new peacekeeping force.... BBC
0 Replies