littlek

Reply Mon 4 Sep, 2006 08:49 pm
There are plenty of topics on Darfur (and Sudan and Chad), but it just dawned on that they are in the wrong forum (Travel & Culture: Africa).

One might think the crisis couldn't get worse, but worse it has gotten. And has done since the so-called ceasefire treaty was signed by a paltry few rebel leaders and the shameful government.

The African Union (AU) has been trying to mediate, aid refuges and help make peace for a year or more with little success. There are very few UA troops and very little funding. The UN passed a resolution recently to put UN peace keepers on the ground, but Sudan rejected the offer. Now, Sudan wants the AU out.

A great and current article can be found here:
The BBC

Past threads on a2k can be found here:
on sudan - http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=57162
http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=37203
http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=23116
on the AU - http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=57949
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,124 • Replies: 56
No top replies

littlek

Reply Mon 4 Sep, 2006 09:02 pm
Quote:
For days now the United Nations has nervously monitored the planeloads of Sudanese troops arriving in North Darfur.

Now the purpose of the build-up has become clear: the African Union is being asked to leave, and the days of international peacekeeping are to end.

Khartoum is to settle the three-year-old rebellion on military terms.

There now seems no way that a United Nations force can be deployed in Darfur, since the idea of peacekeepers fighting their way into this vast, remote region is hardly plausible.

That will leave the huge camps housing two million displaced people extremely exposed....
BBC
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 4 Sep, 2006 09:03 pm
Well, then. If anyone does happen by to check things out they can find ore info at Darfur info.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 4 Sep, 2006 09:17 pm
It's nice and noble that you are concerned about such things, littlek, but words are meaningless.

We have to journey to these countries and help in person. Our contributions, through charities, are sucked up be evil people and tucked into their coffers.

I am traveling to Burkina Faso, vicariously, through my niece, and I have given her a generous supply of money to generate change, as she sees fit, in the best way possible to effect change and help these downtrodden people.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 4 Sep, 2006 09:22 pm
Burkina faso is a long way from Sudan, but she is good to be going no matter. I had a friend in college who went there with the Peace Corps.

I'm glad you stopped by, Gus.

I keep hoping that if I post about it, I might get someone else interested or I might lure someone more knowledgable than I to our a2k to speak about it. I feel hopelessness when I think of Darfur. And frustration. How could I or you or your niece go there now when peace-keepers and humanitarians are being expelled? Of course, people rarely come to my darfur threads anyway. Maybe you're right. Why bother? So sad.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 4 Sep, 2006 09:34 pm
Believe me, littlek, my brother and his wife are not real thrilled with my niece going to Burkina Faso. She is planning on being there for three years and this is, of all the African countries, the most impoverished.

Add to that, and this may seem a bit shallow and perhaps insignificant, but my niece is startlingly beautiful and I worry about the natives molesting her.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 4 Sep, 2006 09:36 pm
is she with the Peace Corps?
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 4 Sep, 2006 09:42 pm
Nope, just going on a whim.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 4 Sep, 2006 09:48 pm
That is a bit disturbing! I'd say if she was with the peace corps, she'd be in good hands......
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 4 Sep, 2006 09:50 pm
Now you understand the worry.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 4 Sep, 2006 09:52 pm
Has she any travelling companions? HOw old is she?
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 4 Sep, 2006 09:53 pm
She is nineteen and traveling alone.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 4 Sep, 2006 10:07 pm
Great. Now I am worried about her too.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 4 Sep, 2006 10:10 pm
Don't. I will do the worrying. If anything comes to pass I will let you know.

Until then.... think of flowers and seashells.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 4 Sep, 2006 11:04 pm
Ok. I think about those things anyway.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 19 Sep, 2006 12:17 am
Bush blocks campaign to put pressure on Sudan over Darfur

Quote:
The Bush administration and big business interests have been accused of undermining efforts to exert financial pressure on the Sudanese government to stop the killing in Darfur.

A bill that passed the US Congress endorsing state legislation to force publicly owned entities to sell off holdings in companies that do substantial business with Sudan, or sell Khartoum weapons, has now been blocked in the Senate, with campaigners blaming the White House. They say the long-delayed draft put forward last week by the Foreign Relations Committee had removed a clause known as Section 11 that would have thrown its weight behind a celebrity-backed campaign requiring publicly owned entities to dump stock.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 19 Sep, 2006 06:43 pm
Why, do you suppose?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 22 Sep, 2006 02:44 pm
Good links:

JURIST legal news archive on Darfur and the Darfur conflict. Offers:
--- current news articles
--- websites (governmental, news, advocacy, reference)
--- commentary
--- documents (links to full-text legal and government documents)
--- video
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 23 Sep, 2006 05:12 pm
And at Scientific American, they report that the tally of dead Sudanese is waaaaay lower than it should be.

Quote:
Early surveys by the World Health Organization (WHO) found a two-month death rate of 10,000 a month, and later estimates simply extended the death toll based on that rate, up to 180,000 after 18 months. SciAm
0 Replies

shevykapita

Reply Mon 25 Sep, 2006 05:18 pm
on the subject of Sudan, I find it interesting that the Muslim people who burned embassies because of the Muhammad cartoons are silent when thousands of Muslims in Darfur are being butchered by the Janjaweed.
0 Replies