Can medicine cure mental illnesses?

Cyracuz

Reply Mon 4 Sep, 2006 02:46 pm
The following claims are all expressions of personal belief as it is formed by personal experience. If you know I'm wrong you're welcome to correct me. Smile

From personal experience I am inclined to state that depression is a mental deflation that occurs as a result of unfulfilled dreams being neglected.

But how can medicine remedy that?

Psychosis is a state in which behaviour alters dramatically due to changes in reality perception. Too strong emphasis on some aspects, neglect of others, erroneous interpertation on still others create a perception of reality that lacks coherency and reason.

But how does haldol correct that?

Angst is basically fear that has no known cause. In a way it is invisible, and therefore much more potent that the fear we feel and know the source of, like a barking dog charging or heights or terrorism.

But how can pills tell you what you're afraid of?

Generally speaking, all drugs that are intended to cure these mental illnesses have no healing effect on the actual problem. All these medecines can do is numb the central nevesystem in different ways and thereby decrease the illness' capacity to act out. By lowering the "resolution" of reality the problems become bearable. But not solved.

I am not saying that medicine useless in these situations, but I am thinking of all the people I know who are forever muted, addicted to the drug perscribed to heal them and deprived of both strength and oportunity to heal themselves.

Maybe these mental disturbances are not illnesses in the normal sense, but healthy reactions to a sick world.

What say ye?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 553 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Letty

Reply Mon 4 Sep, 2006 02:55 pm
Well, Cyracuz, I will start off by saying it's nice to see you, Norway.

Now for your observation. All that medicine does for depression is to alleviate the symptoms. I am not certain about unfulfilled dreams, but that could be the case. As for phychosis, that is another thing altogether, as often the patient is not even aware that they are ill.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Mon 4 Sep, 2006 03:11 pm
Thanks letty. Nice to see you too.

Yes, psychosis isn't always easy to detect, least of all to the person experiencing it. I think it is because it is a dramatic change to perception occuring gradually over a long period of time until the altered state of mind creates conflicts and is thereby revealed. But by all definitions of the phenomenon I've read I cannot say that some of what is considered normal behaviour couldn't be labeled psychotic behaviour if we compare modern patterns of behaviour to those of, say, fifty years ago.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 4 Sep, 2006 03:24 pm
I realize, Cyracuz, that I oversimplified the situation, but I do know that psychosis has many and varied causes. I won't elaborate, but here is an update on the newest forms:

http://www.mental-health-matters.com/articles/article.php?artID=702

Just out of simple curiosity, have you had unfulfilled dreams? I know that I have.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Mon 4 Sep, 2006 03:31 pm
Oh I do. Many.

The pursuit of these dreams is how I stay happy, I think. When I stop pursuing them I lose the understanding of what holds value in life. I get depressed. I only realized this quite recently.

So I quit my 10hour a day job and now I'm working on a compromise between a decent income and time to pursuit my dream, wich is to become a better artist, to express myself clearer in the arts I pursuit, and perhaps to be a worthy addition to the growing heap of culture. Smile
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 4 Sep, 2006 03:35 pm
Well, Cyracuz. I don't think you need to worry, because you have recognized the problem and done something about it. Therein lies the real medicine, my young friend.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Mon 4 Sep, 2006 03:46 pm
I would answer this but I am afraid Homeland Security would find out and report me to the CIA. They are always snooping aournd and...damn. I must get back on my meds.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 4 Sep, 2006 03:51 pm
Well, Cyracuz. Have you met fun loving Nick? Do not expect a serious answer, Norway. <smile>
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Mon 4 Sep, 2006 03:51 pm
Letty,
That is what I think too. That the real remedy to these mental illnesses are realization and adaptation. The goal is well being, and beyond that you sometimes just have to let all else go.

Nickfun,
I don't know what they perscribe for paranoia, but I can recommend a rearview mirror. And if they're really there then you're not crazy, and you don't need your meds. Smile
0 Replies