0
   

Harry Potter: King of Darkness

 
 
Reply Mon 4 Sep, 2006 06:18 am
Pope Benedict XVI's chief exorcist, Rev. Gabriele Amorth, has called fictional wizard-in-training Harry Potter the "king of darkness, the devil."

Amorth, who is also the president of the International Association of Exorcists, said the series contains many positive references to "the satanic art" of magic and makes no distinction between black and white magic.

Amorth compared the Potter character to dictators Stalin and Hitler, saying they were possessed by the devil.

"You can tell by their behavior and their actions, from the horrors they committed and the atrocities that were committed on their orders. That's why we need to defend society from demons," said Amorth, who has reportedly performed 30,000 exorcisms.

Full article:

http://www.cbc.ca/story/arts/national/2006/09/03/harrypotter-exorcist-pope.html

And here I thought Harry Potter is a fictional character.
_________________
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints.
- Billy Joel, Only The Good Die Young
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,634 • Replies: 24
No top replies

 
EpiNirvana
 
  1  
Reply Mon 4 Sep, 2006 08:15 am
Its just imagination, i dont see why Lord of the Rings with a chrsitian writer is any different than Harry Potter with a British writer. I remeber when the got all freaked out with pokemon. I rember when they thought spongbob was gay. Its just a load of crap, its just stupid little childrens stories.
0 Replies
 
Scott777ab
 
  1  
Reply Mon 4 Sep, 2006 08:36 am
Re: Harry Potter: King of Darkness
CerealKiller wrote:
Pope Benedict XVI's chief exorcist, Rev. Gabriele Amorth, has called fictional wizard-in-training Harry Potter the "king of darkness, the devil."

Amorth, who is also the president of the International Association of Exorcists, said the series contains many positive references to "the satanic art" of magic and makes no distinction between black and white magic.

Amorth compared the Potter character to dictators Stalin and Hitler, saying they were possessed by the devil.

"You can tell by their behavior and their actions, from the horrors they committed and the atrocities that were committed on their orders. That's why we need to defend society from demons," said Amorth, who has reportedly performed 30,000 exorcisms.

Full article:

http://www.cbc.ca/story/arts/national/2006/09/03/harrypotter-exorcist-pope.html

And here I thought Harry Potter is a fictional character.
_________________
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints.
- Billy Joel, Only The Good Die Young



This is such a funny statement. I can not believe that someone has said such a STUPID thing about Harry Potter. ROFLMAO.
0 Replies
 
edgarblythe
 
  1  
Reply Mon 4 Sep, 2006 08:55 am
One of my old managers tried very hard to influence us to avoid this spawn of the devil. Only thing, I had already made a plan to purchase and read the books. I was captivated and very remorseful that I didn't have this stuff to grow up with.
0 Replies
 
Noddy24
 
  1  
Reply Mon 4 Sep, 2006 09:12 am
I think the Reverend Amorth has little experience with children and little exposure to secular literature.

I'd also guess that if he actually read the Harry Potter books, he considers himself uncorrupted--but had decided that lesser mortals might be tainted by a fantasy world.
0 Replies
 
neologist
 
  1  
Reply Mon 4 Sep, 2006 09:37 am
Catholics have always been at the forefront of protecting society from demonic influence . If only we could bring back Tomás de Torquemada. The world could once more be safe for the faith.
0 Replies
 
Eorl
 
  1  
Reply Mon 4 Sep, 2006 06:54 pm
I wonder if J.K.Rowling floats.........
0 Replies
 
Noddy24
 
  1  
Reply Mon 4 Sep, 2006 07:03 pm
Erol--

She can afford waterwings.
0 Replies
 
Wolf ODonnell
 
  1  
Reply Tue 5 Sep, 2006 06:14 am
If J.K Rowling weighs the same as a duck she's made of wood, and therefore a witch.

We shall use my largest scales.
0 Replies
 
Scott777ab
 
  1  
Reply Tue 5 Sep, 2006 08:33 am
Noddy24 wrote:
I think the Reverend Amorth has little experience with children and little exposure to secular literature.

I'd also guess that if he actually read the Harry Potter books, he considers himself uncorrupted--but had decided that lesser mortals might be tainted by a fantasy world.


Darn you know what he is right!
How the hell do we wake up out of this dream we are in all called Earth?
0 Replies
 
rosborne979
 
  1  
Reply Tue 5 Sep, 2006 08:54 am
Re: Harry Potter: King of Darkness
CerealKiller wrote:
"You can tell by their behavior and their actions, from the horrors they committed and the atrocities that were committed on their orders. That's why we need to defend society from demons," said Amorth, who has reportedly performed 30,000 exorcisms.


No wonder he's performed 30,000 exorcisms, if he sees the devil when he looks at Harry Potter, then he probably sees the devil everywhere.

I wouldn't be surprised if he starts exorcising trees and rocks.

Maybe he'll look in the mirror one day and realize where the real demons are.
0 Replies
 
kiwimac
 
  1  
Reply Sat 30 Sep, 2006 03:13 am
What a fascinating comment from the Vatican's chief exorcist. Does he, I wonder, see the evil in the pedarastic priests the vatican has protected for decades and if he does why is it still there?
0 Replies
 
Eorl
 
  1  
Reply Sun 1 Oct, 2006 05:51 pm
Welcome to A2K kiwimac.

I like you already !!
0 Replies
 
RexRed
 
  1  
Reply Sun 1 Oct, 2006 09:52 pm
http://news.scotsman.com/international.cfm?id=1449052006
0 Replies
 
kiwimac
 
  1  
Reply Tue 3 Oct, 2006 04:51 am
Eorl wrote:
Welcome to A2K kiwimac.

I like you already !!


Why THANK YOU! Eorl! Very Happy

Kiwimac
0 Replies
 
Tetelestai
 
  1  
Reply Wed 4 Oct, 2006 09:45 am
Harry Potter has a dark side - the bit that connects him to Voldemort. Voldemort represents all that is evil and it was only Harry's Mum's love that saved his life. He is portrayed as the "saviour" of all that is decent and honest. A classic tale of good v evil... and yet... Harry learns to defeat Voldemort through his own devices, he has little respect for authority, and less for his family, breaks the rules constantly for personal gain, bullies other kids, steals, and doesn't get punished when he deserves it.

A fantastic role model for 11 year olds! What a saviour!
0 Replies
 
djjd62
 
  1  
Reply Wed 4 Oct, 2006 10:45 am
Tetelestai wrote:
Harry Potter has a dark side - the bit that connects him to Voldemort. Voldemort represents all that is evil and it was only Harry's Mum's love that saved his life. He is portrayed as the "saviour" of all that is decent and honest. A classic tale of good v evil... and yet... Harry learns to defeat Voldemort through his own devices, he has little respect for authority, and less for his family, breaks the rules constantly for personal gain, bullies other kids, steals, and doesn't get punished when he deserves it.

A fantastic role model for 11 year olds! What a saviour!



give specific examples please
0 Replies
 
kiwimac
 
  1  
Reply Wed 4 Oct, 2006 01:57 pm
Tetelestai wrote:
Harry Potter has a dark side - the bit that connects him to Voldemort. Voldemort represents all that is evil and it was only Harry's Mum's love that saved his life. He is portrayed as the "saviour" of all that is decent and honest. A classic tale of good v evil... and yet... Harry learns to defeat Voldemort through his own devices, he has little respect for authority, and less for his family, breaks the rules constantly for personal gain, bullies other kids, steals, and doesn't get punished when he deserves it.

A fantastic role model for 11 year olds! What a saviour!


My old grandmother had a word for this kind of statement, 'hoeey'!

Harry is punished for doing things he ought not to, he does not break but rather bends the rules to fit the needs of the moment (which most people do ) and NEVER for his own gain but for friends and loved ones.

When does he bully anyone?

Stealing? examples please (and in their context!)

Kiwimac
0 Replies
 
djjd62
 
  1  
Reply Wed 4 Oct, 2006 07:12 pm
i fear we shant see tetley's tea, or whatever his/her name is again

actually i don't fear it at all

welcome to a2k kiwimac
0 Replies
 
farmerman
 
  1  
Reply Wed 4 Oct, 2006 07:20 pm
Ill bet that Amorth (son of Tensor Drath) has all kinds of issues with Stephen King and the Brothers Grimm. I grew up with TH Whites work and was drawn into the Once and Future King. I was in Catholic School and it was required reading in 6th grade
0 Replies
 
 

Related Topics

700 Inconsistencies in the Bible - Discussion by onevoice
Why do we deliberately fool ourselves? - Discussion by coincidence
Spirituality - Question by Miller
Oneness vs. Trinity - Discussion by Arella Mae
give you chills - Discussion by Bartikus
Evidence for Evolution! - Discussion by Bartikus
Evidence of God! - Discussion by Bartikus
One World Order?! - Discussion by Bartikus
God loves us all....!? - Discussion by Bartikus
The Preambles to Our States - Discussion by Charli
 
  1. Forums
  2. » Harry Potter: King of Darkness
Copyright © 2022 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 08/07/2022 at 06:33:04