Harry Potter: King of Darkness

Reply Mon 4 Sep, 2006 06:18 am
Pope Benedict XVI's chief exorcist, Rev. Gabriele Amorth, has called fictional wizard-in-training Harry Potter the "king of darkness, the devil."

Amorth, who is also the president of the International Association of Exorcists, said the series contains many positive references to "the satanic art" of magic and makes no distinction between black and white magic.

Amorth compared the Potter character to dictators Stalin and Hitler, saying they were possessed by the devil.

"You can tell by their behavior and their actions, from the horrors they committed and the atrocities that were committed on their orders. That's why we need to defend society from demons," said Amorth, who has reportedly performed 30,000 exorcisms.

Full article:

http://www.cbc.ca/story/arts/national/2006/09/03/harrypotter-exorcist-pope.html

And here I thought Harry Potter is a fictional character.
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,777 • Replies: 24
No top replies

EpiNirvana

Reply Mon 4 Sep, 2006 08:15 am
Its just imagination, i dont see why Lord of the Rings with a chrsitian writer is any different than Harry Potter with a British writer. I remeber when the got all freaked out with pokemon. I rember when they thought spongbob was gay. Its just a load of crap, its just stupid little childrens stories.
0 Replies

Scott777ab

Reply Mon 4 Sep, 2006 08:36 am
Re: Harry Potter: King of Darkness
CerealKiller wrote:
Pope Benedict XVI's chief exorcist, Rev. Gabriele Amorth, has called fictional wizard-in-training Harry Potter the "king of darkness, the devil."

Amorth, who is also the president of the International Association of Exorcists, said the series contains many positive references to "the satanic art" of magic and makes no distinction between black and white magic.

Amorth compared the Potter character to dictators Stalin and Hitler, saying they were possessed by the devil.

"You can tell by their behavior and their actions, from the horrors they committed and the atrocities that were committed on their orders. That's why we need to defend society from demons," said Amorth, who has reportedly performed 30,000 exorcisms.

Full article:

http://www.cbc.ca/story/arts/national/2006/09/03/harrypotter-exorcist-pope.html

And here I thought Harry Potter is a fictional character.

This is such a funny statement. I can not believe that someone has said such a STUPID thing about Harry Potter. ROFLMAO.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 4 Sep, 2006 08:55 am
One of my old managers tried very hard to influence us to avoid this spawn of the devil. Only thing, I had already made a plan to purchase and read the books. I was captivated and very remorseful that I didn't have this stuff to grow up with.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 4 Sep, 2006 09:12 am
I think the Reverend Amorth has little experience with children and little exposure to secular literature.

I'd also guess that if he actually read the Harry Potter books, he considers himself uncorrupted--but had decided that lesser mortals might be tainted by a fantasy world.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 4 Sep, 2006 09:37 am
Catholics have always been at the forefront of protecting society from demonic influence . If only we could bring back Tomás de Torquemada. The world could once more be safe for the faith.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Mon 4 Sep, 2006 06:54 pm
I wonder if J.K.Rowling floats.........
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 4 Sep, 2006 07:03 pm
Erol--

She can afford waterwings.
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Tue 5 Sep, 2006 06:14 am
If J.K Rowling weighs the same as a duck she's made of wood, and therefore a witch.

We shall use my largest scales.
0 Replies

Scott777ab

Reply Tue 5 Sep, 2006 08:33 am
Noddy24 wrote:
I think the Reverend Amorth has little experience with children and little exposure to secular literature.

I'd also guess that if he actually read the Harry Potter books, he considers himself uncorrupted--but had decided that lesser mortals might be tainted by a fantasy world.

Darn you know what he is right!
How the hell do we wake up out of this dream we are in all called Earth?
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 5 Sep, 2006 08:54 am
Re: Harry Potter: King of Darkness
CerealKiller wrote:

No wonder he's performed 30,000 exorcisms, if he sees the devil when he looks at Harry Potter, then he probably sees the devil everywhere.

I wouldn't be surprised if he starts exorcising trees and rocks.

Maybe he'll look in the mirror one day and realize where the real demons are.
0 Replies

kiwimac

Reply Sat 30 Sep, 2006 03:13 am
What a fascinating comment from the Vatican's chief exorcist. Does he, I wonder, see the evil in the pedarastic priests the vatican has protected for decades and if he does why is it still there?
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Sun 1 Oct, 2006 05:51 pm
Welcome to A2K kiwimac.

I like you already !!
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Sun 1 Oct, 2006 09:52 pm
http://news.scotsman.com/international.cfm?id=1449052006
0 Replies

kiwimac

Reply Tue 3 Oct, 2006 04:51 am
Eorl wrote:
Welcome to A2K kiwimac.

I like you already !!

Why THANK YOU! Eorl! Very Happy

Kiwimac
0 Replies

Tetelestai

Reply Wed 4 Oct, 2006 09:45 am
Harry Potter has a dark side - the bit that connects him to Voldemort. Voldemort represents all that is evil and it was only Harry's Mum's love that saved his life. He is portrayed as the "saviour" of all that is decent and honest. A classic tale of good v evil... and yet... Harry learns to defeat Voldemort through his own devices, he has little respect for authority, and less for his family, breaks the rules constantly for personal gain, bullies other kids, steals, and doesn't get punished when he deserves it.

A fantastic role model for 11 year olds! What a saviour!
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Wed 4 Oct, 2006 10:45 am
Tetelestai wrote:
Harry Potter has a dark side - the bit that connects him to Voldemort. Voldemort represents all that is evil and it was only Harry's Mum's love that saved his life. He is portrayed as the "saviour" of all that is decent and honest. A classic tale of good v evil... and yet... Harry learns to defeat Voldemort through his own devices, he has little respect for authority, and less for his family, breaks the rules constantly for personal gain, bullies other kids, steals, and doesn't get punished when he deserves it.

give specific examples please
0 Replies

kiwimac

Reply Wed 4 Oct, 2006 01:57 pm
Tetelestai wrote:

My old grandmother had a word for this kind of statement, 'hoeey'!

Harry is punished for doing things he ought not to, he does not break but rather bends the rules to fit the needs of the moment (which most people do ) and NEVER for his own gain but for friends and loved ones.

When does he bully anyone?

Stealing? examples please (and in their context!)

Kiwimac
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Wed 4 Oct, 2006 07:12 pm
i fear we shant see tetley's tea, or whatever his/her name is again

actually i don't fear it at all

welcome to a2k kiwimac
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 4 Oct, 2006 07:20 pm
Ill bet that Amorth (son of Tensor Drath) has all kinds of issues with Stephen King and the Brothers Grimm. I grew up with TH Whites work and was drawn into the Once and Future King. I was in Catholic School and it was required reading in 6th grade
0 Replies