Should a just goverment provide health care to its citizens?

Reply Sun 3 Sep, 2006 12:43 pm
so what do you think should a just government provide healthcare to its citizens?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 8,393 • Replies: 24
No top replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Sun 3 Sep, 2006 12:46 pm
Mine does!

(although we all pay just that little bit more in tax)

Yes, a just government should supply a health service, so that all of its citizens, rich or poor, have access to essential medical care.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 3 Sep, 2006 01:06 pm
No. Only the wealthy deserve to survive.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 3 Sep, 2006 01:07 pm
A bit of sarcasm there.
0 Replies

seibentage

Reply Sun 3 Sep, 2006 01:20 pm
of course like in the US..should we convert to an untied healthcare system provided by the government....

i think i am undecided about that, For one they should. people would have more access to better healthcare and be able to actually take care of their sick

but also if you look at it from an economic point of view people do respond to incentives and by letting them have that choice of picking what healthcare provider they want, you are allowing the better economic flow for the market..... if that makes sense
0 Replies

seibentage

Reply Sun 3 Sep, 2006 01:22 pm
united
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Sun 3 Sep, 2006 01:22 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
A bit of sarcasm there.

Be careful, Edgar, some people have no sense of humor.. Twisted Evil
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 3 Sep, 2006 01:27 pm
Francis
Which is why I added the second post.
0 Replies

seibentage

Reply Sun 3 Sep, 2006 01:33 pm
eh dont kill em just take all of their money and run...thats the way to do it
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Sun 3 Sep, 2006 01:42 pm
seibentage wrote:
of course like in the US..should we convert to an untied healthcare system provided by the government....

i think i am undecided about that, For one they should. people would have more access to better healthcare and be able to actually take care of their sick

but also if you look at it from an economic point of view people do respond to incentives and by letting them have that choice of picking what healthcare provider they want, you are allowing the better economic flow for the market..... if that makes sense

Here (UK), we have adequate state medical care without all the white fluffy bathrobes, fine wines and prawn sandwiches. I have undergone four ops, one of them major, and have no complaints at all about my treatment, which was brilliant. It was all carried out under the National Health Service, and didn't cost me a penny.

If anyone wants to go to a snazzy private hospital and have all the extra trimmings, they have the option of paying for private medical insurance if they wish.

However, whether they opt to pay for private or not, they MUST pay their share towards the National Health Service through tax.
There is no opting out of this at the moment, and I hope it will never come to pass, as we will then end up with a similar situation that exists in the USA.

It works fine, just the way it is.
0 Replies

JamesMorrison

Reply Sun 3 Sep, 2006 02:34 pm
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Sun 3 Sep, 2006 02:54 pm
Yup, a government should. They need to be useful for something. What better than providing a cushion for those who are in need?

Health should not be about economics, though of course it always is at some level. It is one of those things we should all be happy to 'put into the pot for' as far as I am concerned.

BTW: thanks America, for taking all our greedy doctors. Smile
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 3 Sep, 2006 03:06 pm
They can expend untold billions, trillions, even, on the war machine, but cry poverty when it comes to helping the poorest citizens, here in the USA.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Sun 3 Sep, 2006 04:03 pm
I don't really care whether our National Health service costs much more to run than it would if it were in the hands of the free market.

Bottom lines and profit margins are irrelevant when it comes to health, as there will always be HUUGE profits being scooped up by companies who provide goods and services to Government departments.

If profiteering is going to happen anyway (and it will), I would prefer to be ripped off by a company that supplies life saving equipment, than one who manufactures smart/cluster/chemical bombs.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Sun 3 Sep, 2006 04:20 pm
Actually, putting a bit of spatial thinking in here, it would be a very interesting exercise to swap it all around in the USA and see what would happen.

Keep the taxes the same, but source that money towards free health treatment for all, whilst giving the people an option to pay privately for the guns, tanks, rockets and aircraft etc.

It seems to be the case that there are some Americans that, whilst baulking at the idea that their tax dollar should go towards free medical treatment for their fellow Americans, don't bat an eyelid at the huge amount of tax dollars that gets sucked into the vast American war machine.

Strange......
0 Replies

Chaplin

Reply Sun 3 Sep, 2006 04:35 pm
The California legislators signed SB840 to bring universal health care to our state. It's just a matter of Ahnold signing it into law.

I agree with government providing universal health care at the federal level.

We must balance government spending between what are deemed necessary and discretionary. If we can spend three billion dollars in Iraq to fight a war, we can surely spend money to help with keeping our citizens healthy. It's a no-brain-er to figure out what benefits the US taxpayers most; and it surely isn't the war in Iraq.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Sun 3 Sep, 2006 07:59 pm
We have government health care too. (Australia). It really is amazing to me that Americans don't. It seems like such an obvious early step in building a strong democracy. We have private health insurance also, and those who can afford it (most people) are encouraged to have it. (43% do)
(Employers never have anything to do with it.)
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 4 Sep, 2006 03:17 am
Not a subject that lends itself to answers on a postcard I'm afraid.

For those who want a variation on "cradle to the grave" how about from "sperm to worm" or from "erection to resurrection"?
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Mon 4 Sep, 2006 03:18 am
Or hatch to dispatch?
0 Replies

cocosweets

Reply Tue 19 Sep, 2006 08:50 am
goverment
I belive that the goverment should provide health care for everyone. It is only fair because the people of the UNtied States should feel protected. I belive that bush as of now isn't doing such a great job at it. And if any one has a problem with what i said write to me at my email!!
[email protected]
Thank you!!! Very Happy
0 Replies