Burning CDs.

littlek

Reply Fri 1 Sep, 2006 09:47 pm
I have been trying all night to burn a back up CD of my videos of my dog (whom I recently lost) - I DON'T want to lose them.

I tried Roxio which is installed on my computer but it continuously says that I have another roxio application running and can't run the one I want (I have shut down what I can find to shut down). I have also tried the windows burner but it doesn't seem to work either.

I know this is vague, but what am I doing wrong??! Any suggestions?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,618 • Replies: 20
No top replies

pararover

Reply Fri 1 Sep, 2006 10:16 pm
Sorry about your dog.
Why don't you give Ulead DVD MovieFactory 5 a shot? It enables you to incorporate some really cool stuff to your DVD like creating amazing menus, adding chapters, and also adding an introductory clip.
(you can also create VCDs if you want to)
Plus it has rescued me a lot of times when Nero and Roxio failed.
The link below should help...
Get back to us with your results.

http://www.ulead.com/dmf/runme.htm
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 1 Sep, 2006 11:23 pm
I know this is obvious, but have you rebooted?

Can you reinstall your Roxio application?

Can you uninstall Roxio, and get Nero, a superior app?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 2 Sep, 2006 12:04 am
Dunno if I can help you out or not, but I'll try. Got some questions which the answers to might help me start to sort out whatchya got going on. Current Roxio DVD burning/authoring software should work pretty good - does for me, anyhow - though so does Ahead/Nero; both have their good points and bad points, IMO - as with just about anything else. Anyhow -

What's your operating system?

Aside from the Roxio you mention, do you have other software with burning capabilities?

What version of which flavor of Roxio are you using?

Did it come with your 'puter or burner, or is it something you purchased?

What steps are you taking to open the app and begin a project?

Are you using Roxio's backup utility - perhaps as a background app you're not even aware you've activated and have running?

In what form are the videos you're trying to burn, and are where are they?

Dunno yet where I'm going with this, but mebbe I'll get a clue outta something there.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 2 Sep, 2006 11:08 am
Tico's suggestion would have worked. I tried again this morning and the window's cd writer worked. Haven't retried the roxio one.

Wait....trying it now......

Roxio also seems to be working, but I'm copying pictures right now, not videos - would that make a difference?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 2 Sep, 2006 11:34 am
Ok, now I have no idea what's happening! I click on Roxio: disc properties it has 0 values across the board - 0 free space and 0 used space. Then the pie chart is all blue (as if it is full-up). When I try to view contents using Roxio or Windows Explorer, I get no info - empty disc?

Timber I am using windows XP. I have a windows disc burning capacity. Roxio is V6, I've tried the drag-to-disc option and tried the disc creator classic.

I just tried to use the disc creator classic - it says that the drag-to-disc function of roxio is already using the drive. I closed it, I exited it, I still get the message.

I'll try more later.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sat 2 Sep, 2006 06:06 pm
littlek :
trying to do an edited dvd/cd of our cruise pics and i still haven't been able to make it work .
i have tried both windows and nero - get all kinds of messages , but no disc .
i have now downloaded but not read the MICROSOFT SUPPORT .
i'll see what i can learn .
hbg
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sat 2 Sep, 2006 07:39 pm
Are you using DirectCD with Roxio? Just a thought.
0 Replies

Bartikus

Reply Sat 2 Sep, 2006 07:49 pm
Get Nero.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 2 Sep, 2006 09:21 pm
I dunno Intrepid....... <?>

I used to use Nero - - basically I use what ever my b-in-law gives me to use. This time it was roxio.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 2 Sep, 2006 10:44 pm
Are you trying to burn a VideoCD or a DVD?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 2 Sep, 2006 10:46 pm
Timber, I have 'music', 'dvd' or 'data' options (i think). I have tried them all. All combos.

I'll close down now (bedtime) and try to copy the remaining files (pix this time) to disc upon reboot.

I know I am not very helpful to you in solving my own problem.... maybe tomorrow will be a better day. Thanks for your help.
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Sat 2 Sep, 2006 11:32 pm
I know my answer is not the direct one to your question, but I suggest that you could save your video files on an external HDD. Although it may be somewhat expensive ($169~$280), you can easily transfer the files and the probability of losing your video files is less.

http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/1476/axa7.jpg
(about 5 inch x 3.3 inch; IEEE 1394 High Speed Serial Bus -"FireWire"- connection. Many computers intended for home or professional audio/video use have built-in FireWire ports including all Macintosh, Dell and Sony computers currently produced. )
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sun 3 Sep, 2006 12:51 am
Bookmark. I'll have a question about a message I'm getting on my laptop when I get back home. I'll ask it here rather than starting another thread.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 3 Sep, 2006 01:13 pm
Satt - I have one of those....... I take a lot of pix and want to back them up more often than the rest of the drive - I don't know how to do that using the external drive.
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Sun 3 Sep, 2006 02:49 pm
littlek wrote:
I take a lot of pix and want to back them up more often than the rest of the drive - I don't know how to do that using the external drive.

you can simply connect external drive (through FireWire or USB) and once it is recognized, drag and drop the files from your computer to the external hard drive. You can make new folders on it.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 3 Sep, 2006 03:40 pm
I will try that! I like having my pix on both the hard drive and on discs - I am still feeling insecure without having negatives to go back to.
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Sun 3 Sep, 2006 04:25 pm
I'm very sorry about your lost Boo, littlek.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 3 Sep, 2006 04:26 pm
Thank you Satt. She was a special little lady.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 3 Sep, 2006 04:31 pm
So far so good on the transfer of video files to the external hard drive. I don't know why I didn't think of it before, thanks again Satt.
0 Replies