Grown up day!

stuh505

Reply Sun 3 Sep, 2006 08:40 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
I would recommend David Mamet's 1987 film, "House of Games".

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093223/

Very grown up. Very psychological. Just the kind of stuff that I love personally.

I'll take that suggestion.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 3 Sep, 2006 08:52 am
"V for Vendetta" was on of my favorite films of the year. It's satirical more tha quirky, playing on the Reagan years and Margaret Thatcher -- the direction the political right could easily end up in some future scenerio. It was done with such pinache that I was riveted to the screen right up to the bravura finale.
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Sun 3 Sep, 2006 09:23 pm
Lightwizard wrote:
"V for Vendetta" was on of my favorite films of the year. It's satirical more tha quirky, playing on the Reagan years and Margaret Thatcher -- the direction the political right could easily end up in some future scenerio. It was done with such pinache that I was riveted to the screen right up to the bravura finale.

Hehe, now I am visualizing V with a pinache...I wouldn't put it past his character!

I have been avoiding this movie ever since I first saw mention of it.

In fact, just yesterday I made a comment to one of my friends asking him if he'd seen it because I wanted somebody to provide some affirmation that it sucked, thus justifying my lack of interest.

It looked like another one of those post-matrix idealistic action movies.

Well, your comment Lightwizard was the last straw so I watched it.

Well, it was all of those things I would thought it would be...but okay, I liked it Smile I think they could have toned down the idealism slightly, like showing V's human side a little bit more and also toning down the crowd following him at the end...but I agree it was well done.

Thanks for tipping me over the edge.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 3 Sep, 2006 10:42 pm
The mask was a barrier to the character's inner being but by the end, I thought it came through. Don't want to exactly discuss what happens because it would be an obvious spoiler. I wasn't ready to like this film because of the by-the-previous-numbers Matrix II and III. I was surprised by the mix of style, potent scripting and better performances than could ever be expected in a satirical sci-fi movie. Sociological sci-fi has had its ups-and-downs from the old days of Galaxy Magazine but as far as filmed sci-fi goes, this is an incredible movie.
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Sun 3 Sep, 2006 11:11 pm
Quote:
The mask was a barrier to the character's inner being but by the end, I thought it came through.

SPOILER BELOW

Not really. They made a very weak attempt to have a human side show through. Having the character SAY that he feels human does not mean anything. It are his actions that really speak to us. When V dies, he is still being portrayed as a supernatural character -- practically immune to gunfire like an indian war chief, his face still hidden, having recently defied acceptance of love, still wearing his mask and attire. To really show humanity, I would have liked to see some of his imperfections. Anyone who attempts such feats is going to make mistakes, and by showing them to the audience, we can grow to like him more by seeing him as more of a human being. For instance, have him trip sometime! Or show him lounging around his cave with the mask off, or get sick and need to be taken care of by eevie. There was one scene in particular that I felt was very good in this respect, and that was where he took off his mask and threw it into the mirror. It surprised me, and immediately allowed me to connect with his character. It is those moments when a character acts in a way that is at first unpredictable, but then is understood by deducing the implied emotions, that I really like.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 4 Sep, 2006 08:52 am
I think if you watch the film again, you will perceive more of V's character. I was certainly more interested in this character and Natalie Portman was intense in her role. One can find out more about V through her character than V himself.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 4 Sep, 2006 04:26 pm
House of Games is indeed an excellent movie. I've seen that one a few times but could always stand to see it again.

We ended up watching "Capote" (excellent) and "Memoirs of a Geisha". I liked it, perhaps the years of seperation between reading the book and seeing the movie eased the way. The certainly did ignore much of the book but I can't really think how they would have handled so many little details. One of my favorite parts of the book were the history, symbology, creation of kimono. The movie didn't really pass on the whole "work of art" aspect. Mr. B was even wondering why she got into so much trouble for defacing the kimono.

Personally, I enjoyed the movie just from a photography standpoint. It was really quite beautifully lit and composed.

Thank you all for your suggestions. Next time I get the chance to see a grown up movie I'll come back to this thread for referrals!
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Mon 4 Sep, 2006 06:42 pm
Just saw House of Games, I enjoyed it very much!
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 5 Sep, 2006 06:42 am
You're not pick-pocketing gold cigarette lighters now, are you stuh?
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Tue 5 Sep, 2006 04:27 pm
Let's just say I haven't shot anyone.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 6 Sep, 2006 08:54 am
Yes, what sweet revenge that was and the victim was astounded that this is how his life would end.
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Wed 6 Sep, 2006 10:18 am
It was great to see a woman with a strong character on the screen for once
0 Replies