Little Miss Sunshine

Reply Thu 31 Aug, 2006 11:19 pm
Has anybody seen this flick yet. I laughed thru the entire film. There were some sad parts, but damn, they kept it moving. When it comes out on DVD. I'm going to buy it. Totally dysfunctional like most families, but delicious. I don't see this as a chick-flick, but women seem to find it funnier than men. My husband was doubled over while watching it but today he claims he didn't like it all that much. I think he suspects it's a chick flick, but I don't think it is. However, women may have a better idea regarding the pressure on small girls to behave like grown women. The men in the family are totally freaked when they get to the contest and realize what is really going on in this beauty show, but the little girl who competes is the anti-childtramp and the last part, the talent competition almost made me call 911. I have to see this again. Alan Arkin, Greg Kinear, Steve Carelle are wonderful, so are the other actors, I just don't remember their names. Let me know if you have seen it and if you liked it.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,065 • Replies: 15
No top replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 1 Sep, 2006 07:37 am
It's on my roster to take this one in at the multiplex. Thanks for the recommendation.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Fri 1 Sep, 2006 07:51 am
A friend of mine said it was good, so with that in mind I may take it in this weekend.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 1 Sep, 2006 07:58 am
Finally rented "Akeelah and the Bee," one of the best reviewed films of the year. A really heartfelt, but not sloppily sentimental, film with outstanding performances by all involved. As far as young performances getting nominated for the Oscar, it looks like that film and this film will be in stiff competition.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0437800/
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Fri 1 Sep, 2006 11:52 am
Me and my girlfriend saw it last night. Both huge fans. The comedy manages to have that rare blend cynicism and compassion.

I want a little Olive of my own.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Fri 1 Sep, 2006 11:54 am
Garg, do you remember the young actress's name?
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 1 Sep, 2006 12:01 pm
I thought it was boring. All those stupid characters doing stupid things for no rational reason. How ridiculous.

Kickycan's assessment...piece of ****.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Fri 1 Sep, 2006 12:05 pm
kicky, you may have been tuned into Geraldo's show. Little Miss Sunshine isn't on the telly yet.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 1 Sep, 2006 12:06 pm
What are you talking about, woman! I was in a darkened theater like everyone else when I saw it! I watched that stupid little bratty girl dancing up there like a tramp...disgusting!
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Fri 1 Sep, 2006 12:41 pm
Can't remember her name off hand.

Since when do people do anything for a rational reason? Damn Kicky, you'll like that movie if we tell you to! You'll like it whether you like it or not.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 1 Sep, 2006 12:52 pm
Oops, I forgot to say "Just kidding." I actually did like it. Alan Arkin's was my favorite character, but actually, all the characters were really good. And yes, it was funny! Yes, I liked it, I liked it!

There, everyone happy now?
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Fri 1 Sep, 2006 12:58 pm
Much better.

What fun is public forum for debate full of varying opinions, if people disagree?
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 1 Sep, 2006 01:01 pm
Oh, and the first time they did the starting the car in third gear thing--it got me. I don't know why...something about such a screwed up unhappy family working together for a common goal--it really gave me the warm fuzzies. That scene stood out to me as one of the most weirdly sentimental, touching scenes I've seen in a movie in a long time.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Fri 1 Sep, 2006 02:01 pm
One of my favs (in addition to pushing the bus....I did that a lot with my friends when I was young back in the day) was when they decided to take Alan Arkin out of the hospital to finish the trip. Also the looks on the brother and Steve Carelle when they actually saw what a kiddie beauty show is all about. But, it's going to be hard to beat Gregg Kinnears line when the Beauty Pageant Nazi, asked him what his daughter was doing on stage. Loved it. All those wounded people pulling together as a family
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Fri 1 Sep, 2006 02:18 pm
Come on Kicky, were you afraid that folks would think you watched a chick flick. It ain't no chick flick, cause even I can't do chick flicks. I did laugh my butt off, my husband said I was laughing when no one else was laughing, but just the expressions on the actor's faces made it clear what was going to happen next. Kind of like a real family.
0 Replies

sunday morning

Reply Wed 13 Sep, 2006 03:35 pm
I loved this movie, it made me laugh throughout the entire film, even the saddest parts. Frank, the uncle, was certainly my favorite character, followed closely by Dwayne. I think that the actor that played Dwayne did brilliantly. I only had two problems with the film - 1) Dwayne's silence. It would be understandable if he was silent completely due to Nietzsche, but I think that it was rather silly to just stay silent until he got into flight school, 2) I think it was rather out-of-character for Dwayne to want anything to do with the military.
0 Replies