Anyone like Tennis?

engineer

Reply Thu 6 Sep, 2012 11:43 am
Time for all you part time tennis fans to start paying attention again.

On the men's side, Roddick fought hard but lost yesterday and goes into retirement with his head held high. The US now has no active slam champions on the men's side for the first time ever. Berdych wins a break-through match and eliminates Federer in the quarters. With Nadal gone, we are looking at either Murray or Berdych in the finals and a chance for someone outside the "Big Three" to claim a slam.

On the women's side, the seeds are holding up well. Azarenka (1) will face Sharapova (3) who gutted out a tough three setter against Bartoli. That one could go either way. On the other side of the draw, Serena Williams (officially 4) has been destroying all comers and has dropped only 16 games in ten sets. She faces Errani (10) in the other semi in a match that should be very lopsided but with Williams you never can tell. She is 46-4 this year but two of those losses were to unknowns she should have dispatched in her sleep.
panzade

Reply Thu 6 Sep, 2012 11:58 am
@engineer,
I'm paying attention
0 Replies

margo

Reply Thu 6 Sep, 2012 01:19 pm
You didn't mention Azarenka also had a 3-setter with last year's winner.
engineer

Reply Fri 7 Sep, 2012 04:10 pm
@margo,
You're correct - an oversight on my part since that was a great match. Azarenka just won in three against Sharapova (which was a much better showing that Sharapova has mananged against her in the last few meetings on hard courts). That means that the likely final is Azarenka vs Williams which is pretty much how it should be and we will have a repeat slam winner for the first time in two years.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 7 Sep, 2012 04:14 pm
@engineer,
I'm paying attention but sort of distracted.

I saw some knock on Azarenka's dance after a win, but didn't click on it. What was that about?
engineer

Reply Fri 7 Sep, 2012 09:06 pm
@ossobuco,
Nothing much. Azarenka had been taking a beating in the press all year for the completely tone deaf way she handles the press and the public. Someone finally pulled her aside and told her to take her image a little more seriously. She has been dancing on court, charming with reporters and playing the crowd and it's working. She's getting a lot more positive press and a lot less grief about her shrieking. The NY crowd has never warmed up to Williams and it wouldn't surprise me to see Azarenka getting some loving from the crowd in the finals.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 9 Sep, 2012 08:32 am
Is that Azarenka / Williams match supposed to be this afternoon now (after being postponed)?
Region Philbis

Reply Sun 9 Sep, 2012 08:59 am
@snood,

today @ 4:30pm ET on CBS.
had a devil of a time finding it online...
snood

Reply Sun 9 Sep, 2012 01:37 pm
@Region Philbis,
Thanks RP.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 9 Sep, 2012 02:56 pm
Wow. At the US Open, Azarenka the Belarusan gets a louder welcome than Serena the American.
engineer

Reply Sun 9 Sep, 2012 06:20 pm
@snood,
Wow!!! Serena blows through the first set with hardly a challenge, Vika storms back and whips her in the second while Serena's confidence just melts away. Vika moves into the lead in the third, Serena is two points away from defeat and BAM! Serena reels off four games to claim the title.

Three observations: Serena is the best ever, Vika is absolutely for real, deserving of that number one ranking and both players have learned how to give post match interviews.

Note that Serena was called for a foot fault again. Only at the US Open.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Sun 9 Sep, 2012 06:23 pm
@snood,
snood wrote:

Wow. At the US Open, Azarenka the Belarusan gets a louder welcome than Serena the American.

NY and Williams (whether Venus or Serena) have never mixed. Serena gets a much better reception as an American in Paris, London or Melbourne than she does in NY.
snood

Reply Sun 9 Sep, 2012 06:38 pm
@engineer,
Unbelievable. When I saw that Azarenka was up 5 -2 in the 3rd and she seemed to have momentum, I turned the channel and silently cussed out Serena for losing a match she should have won.

Then I just by chance saw a story that Serena had captured another US Open. Good grief, I gave up and missed an epic comeback!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 9 Sep, 2012 07:03 pm
I was borderline neutral to pro Serena, they're both good at tennis. I can't stand shriekers, feel more association with Serena re her years of engagement, but those are just feelings.

Ok, then, Serena and Rory, good day for an amateur-but-long-time watcher, me.

engineer

Reply Sun 9 Sep, 2012 08:40 pm
@ossobuco,
Funny you should mention the shrieking. I was listening to the end of the first set on the radio and you could hear Azarenka's AHHHHHHH on every stroke.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Mon 10 Sep, 2012 06:52 pm
The men are tied at two sets apiece and Murray consolidates a break for 4-2!
engineer

Reply Mon 10 Sep, 2012 07:27 pm
@engineer,
And it's Murray winning his first slam.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 10 Sep, 2012 07:38 pm
YES!!! Hooray for Murray! He's worked for it for a long time.
engineer

Reply Mon 10 Sep, 2012 08:58 pm
@snood,
First time since 2003 that four men split the slams.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Fri 28 Sep, 2012 06:46 pm
No chance for Serena to move up to number one this year. Her rating is carrying four zeros and a five. If she'd played Tokyo and Beijing, she could have erased two of them but she skipped the former and pulled out of the later sick. She's clearly not interested in making a run at the top spot. Very disappointing.