[answered] Log-in Cookie

Intrepid

Reply Fri 8 Sep, 2006 11:32 am
Happened to me a few times today too. I just take it in stride and await the completetion of the work. I am assuming it will be worth it in the end.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 8 Sep, 2006 12:55 pm
It's like the 10th time today now. Why even offer the option of remembering the user login information?
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 8 Sep, 2006 01:44 pm
Transition times are imperfect times.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Fri 8 Sep, 2006 02:11 pm
Patience is a virtue
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 8 Sep, 2006 02:16 pm
Intrepid wrote:
Patience is a virtue

This is a completely useless comment. I am posting a description of a real bug on forum help. I don't need your "witty" observations.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Fri 8 Sep, 2006 02:42 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
Intrepid wrote:
Patience is a virtue

This is a completely useless comment. I am posting a description of a real bug on forum help. I don't need your "witty" observations.

What makes you think I was talking to you? And, what makes you think that you are the ultimate authority on what is useless and what is not. I really don't care what you think.

Also, why did you pick my post and not say anything about Noddy's observation? Not that you should.

BTW - You were not posting a description of anything...you were complaining.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 8 Sep, 2006 02:49 pm
Intrepid wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
Intrepid wrote:
Patience is a virtue

What makes you think I was talking to you? And, what makes you think that you are the ultimate authority on what is useless and what is not. I really don't care what you think.

Also, why did you pick my post and not say anything about Noddy's observation? Not that you should.

BTW - You were not posting a description of anything...you were complaining.

I was posting a description of a serious and ongoing system bug. My description had eventually become complaining after a day in which almost every time I logged on, the system had lost my login info. Complaining about a post of yours is certainly not equivalent to a claim that I'm the ultimate authority on anything. Now, if your description was not in response to the discussion I initiated, what was its meaning?
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Fri 8 Sep, 2006 03:31 pm
last week I wrote:
i think there's some sort of time limit on activity.

i was logged in this morning, but hadn't touched the site for over an hour.

when i clicked a link, i had to log back in...

i am no longer having this problem.

i think my company's fire wall was temporarily logging me out while they upgraded software...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 8 Sep, 2006 05:13 pm
Following along on this, there are some bugs to this system, I've gathered from past notes on Forum Help from the King Hamster, that won't be fixed. A huge number of hours of work are going into setting up the new system and keeping this one running, in large part by volunteers.

As it is, while many of us go through the login in merry go round from time to time, it presently seems to be you in particular that is going through this.

I'm not too sympathetic about whining on this issue - you and the rest of us are here for free, after all, and you, Brandon, are not completely shut out. I've been shut out of another website for months at a tough time in my life, and that is worse than having to type in your screen name.

This glitch happens to all of us. If it is happening more to you, and it seems it is, it may be from something like Region suggests, emanating from your neck of the woods. This also can happen when site work is going on, and then it tends to affect us all - and this is sporadic, depending on the timing people find to do the work.

Perhaps people here can help you figure out the cause.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 8 Sep, 2006 06:10 pm
Intrepid aside, I'm merely bringing your attention to the fact that the bug exists.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 8 Sep, 2006 06:15 pm
We know it exists - it happens when the site is being worked on. That it happens to you more may have to do with something at your end, as Region commented and Jespah was trying to help with.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sat 9 Sep, 2006 08:40 am
ossobuco wrote:
... A huge number of hours of work are going into setting up the new system and keeping this one running, in large part by volunteers. ....

100% by volunteers, actually.

And developers are working on a new A2k. This not only is (most likely) causing your login issues but it is also, on occasion, resetting people's "new posts" pages. They do work, they refresh the database, and it does the reset. That is my understanding of what is happening.

I am sorry that it is happening to you. Since it appears to be happening to you more than others, it's prudent to check things from your end. Checking for spyware, etc. is helpful for your system, anyway. You may also want to check things like security settings, whether you are getting cookies, etc. All the usual suspects. I hope that this is of help to you.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sat 9 Sep, 2006 10:10 pm
jespah wrote:
ossobuco wrote:
... A huge number of hours of work are going into setting up the new system and keeping this one running, in large part by volunteers. ....

100% by volunteers, actually.

And developers are working on a new A2k. This not only is (most likely) causing your login issues but it is also, on occasion, resetting people's "new posts" pages. They do work, they refresh the database, and it does the reset. That is my understanding of what is happening.

I am sorry that it is happening to you. Since it appears to be happening to you more than others, it's prudent to check things from your end. Checking for spyware, etc. is helpful for your system, anyway. You may also want to check things like security settings, whether you are getting cookies, etc. All the usual suspects. I hope that this is of help to you.

As I've already mentioned, it happens to me on more than one system, both at home and at work. My system at work has an entire department to keep it free of spyware.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2006 05:52 am
Okay. Then have you checked security settings, whether you're set up to receive cookies?

When this happens, are you opening up a new window, downloading from somewhere?

I am looking for patterns. Telling me that this happens a lot is not, unfortunately, terribly helpful. So I need to know circumstances. Because the more I can piece together what's going on, the more likely I am to be able to help you.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2006 06:34 am
jespah wrote:
Okay. Then have you checked security settings, whether you're set up to receive cookies?

When this happens, are you opening up a new window, downloading from somewhere?

I am looking for patterns. Telling me that this happens a lot is not, unfortunately, terribly helpful. So I need to know circumstances. Because the more I can piece together what's going on, the more likely I am to be able to help you.

First of all, I didn't merely tell you it happens a lot, I told you it happens on multiple PCs.

Cookies are certainly enable on the machine I'm on right now, and almost certainly on my work machine too. Furthermore, it could hardly be clearer that it's happening to people other than me. It's pretty obvious that it isn't merely some fault with my PC configuration.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 11 Sep, 2006 04:10 am
I'm sorry. I have tried to help you. Clearly it has something to do with the work being done on the site and that's just going to keep happening, to you and to others. I regret that I am unable to resolve this matter.
0 Replies