Tammy Faye Bakker - R.I.P.

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 30 Aug, 2006 12:40 pm
Sad (((((((((((((Boomer, Mr. Boomer and Mo)))))))))))))
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 30 Aug, 2006 01:44 pm
Thank you all.

Since she died while we were gone I really didn't get around to the missing her until we got back. Strange, that.

I typically like older pets, there is just so much to love about them with so little frustration. But there is a certain twang telling me "puppy" and "Mo" would be a fun fit.

Getting a puppy right when he's starting school would be unfair. He'd want to stay home everyday
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 30 Aug, 2006 02:35 pm
Given Mo's track record with Puppies Next Door, he'd demand that every day to be Show & Tell in Kindergarten.

Wouldn't that be fun?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 30 Aug, 2006 04:02 pm
I disagree.
Either a puppy or a pound rescue would be a way to honor the memory of your dog. We never abstained from having dogs around, and if one died it would always occupy a special space in our hearts , but a new dog merely makes another nest.
They say its often more traumatic for an older dog to deal with loneliness than with another dog. If the dog was a "primitive" dog (those that we associate as pack dogs like hounds, beagles, huskies, etc) they rather enjoy the establishment of place in a pack and since they live in "the now" they are most comfortable with their own pack (of course you are the pack leader to them).

Id get a dog sooner than later, so what if your child starts school, he/she must learn how the world works and theres always weekends .
To deprive your child of the lessons of responsibility and companionship that only dogs provide, well, when will you get another dog? why then and not now?. Get out there and get another one.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Wed 30 Aug, 2006 05:46 pm
So sorry to hear about Tammy Faye Bakker. Love that name. Regarding a new dog: If you're ready, go for it. Can't wait to hear what you name this one.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 31 Aug, 2006 09:51 am
The pack animal aspect is interesting, famerman.

Bird is a dalmatian and their pack instincts can be.... er...... unpredictable. Introducing new animals into their orbit can be... er..... interesting.

Introducing Mo into the pack was problematic at first but now she is just as protective of him as she is with me and Mr. B.

Introducing Biscuit the cat was easy because the dogs had been raised with cats.

An older dog could cause some problems if there is a dominance issue.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 31 Aug, 2006 02:26 pm
If you and your husband are the pack leaders, truly, there will be no dominance issues. If Bird does not recognize your authority, then you have a problem right there.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 6 Sep, 2006 01:04 pm
Yes, of course. But pets have their own pecking order too and I think it is important to respect that order.

I'm thinking of going out to have a look at this lovely girl:

http://70.103.155.237/47219.jpg
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 6 Sep, 2006 01:46 pm
What an expressive face!
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 6 Sep, 2006 02:01 pm
Yeah, that's a good looking dog.

Mr. B is taking a little arm twisting.......
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 6 Sep, 2006 03:37 pm
Does the expressive face go with big feet? It is impossible to see the feet in that picture.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 6 Sep, 2006 03:39 pm
She's four months old and 25 pounds so I think she might be right sized for me.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 6 Sep, 2006 03:52 pm
Boomer--

That pup is a girl with big ambitions.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Wed 6 Sep, 2006 04:01 pm
Aaaaawwwwww! What a sweetie! Can we keep her, Mom? She just has "Good Dog" written all over her.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 6 Sep, 2006 04:03 pm
I like biggish dogs.

I like that really attentive look in her eyes.

Mr. B is having fits right now. He doesn't think we need some slobbery puppy.

Mr. B, is however, easily persuaded.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Wed 6 Sep, 2006 04:06 pm
Show him your womanly wiles. Then he'll crack.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 6 Sep, 2006 04:29 pm
Mr. B is really one of the most reasonable people on the planet.

He usually wants me to have the things that I want to have and since I don't want much I usually get what I want.

Follow?

Saying "No" is just our routine. He'll come home tonight expecting to see the dog already here and when she's not he'll say "So, wheres the dog?" and I'll say "I thought you said "No!" and he'll say "Oh go get the dog if you want to."

See, he really wants the dog too but I guess the dance is half the fun.

I'll bet I go look at the dog tomorrow.

I've been wrong before so maybe not......

I'll have to meet the dog before I can even make a decision, you know. It might be some awful puppy. The shelter gives a few warnings about her but they always play down the dog's temperment to make sure people don't rush into things.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 6 Sep, 2006 04:32 pm
Hey!

Our adoption of Mo should be final this week or next week (or sometime very soon). I could approach it as an adoption festival! (No. I'm not equating Mo with a dog so nobody go there.)

Mr. B would probably like that idea.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 6 Sep, 2006 06:40 pm
Boomer--

Celebration is terrific, but....

Do you really want to accumulate family members at the rate of a dog a year?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 6 Sep, 2006 07:12 pm
Oh that is so not a good question for me.

My answer would be yes, a pet a year sounds perfect. There are laws about such things here in the city though.

I recently tried to talk Mr. B into letting me get a llama. That was a no that meant no.

To be honest, I'm still not completely sure why I can't have a llama.

To be true, I'm terrible. I love animals. My house feels empty with only one dog and one cat.
0 Replies