Tammy Faye Bakker - R.I.P.

Reply Tue 29 Aug, 2006 07:31 pm
My dog, Tammy Faye Bakker, died while Mo and I were on vacation.

Actually she died the day we left for vacation, bless her. We left early on a Friday morning and Mr. B discovered her dead on Saturday morning. She was a great dog.

She had been very, very sick for a very long time. Her death was unexpected but not a surprise.

Our other dog, her sister, from the next litter, is really at a loss. She's lonely. She has taken to sleeping in Bakker's spots and even to snuggling with the cat.

Mo too is lonely for Bakker's gentle soul.

As am I.

As is Mr. B.

I am considering getting a new puppy. A small and energetic mutt. Not as a replacement. I've endured too many pet deaths to believe that any one of them can be replaced, but as someone who might assuage our emptyness.

But Mo starts school next week.

And Bird, the sister dog, is old herself and sometimes grouchy.

While typically I clamor to fill the house with animals this time I'm not quite so sure if it is right.

What do you think?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,896 • Replies: 51
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 29 Aug, 2006 07:33 pm
I'm not sure what I think... my impulse is "wait a bit."

But I wanted to convey my condolences. Great name, great dog... sorry she's gone.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 29 Aug, 2006 07:36 pm
A good dog, that becomes a family member, can break one's heart when it grows old or ill and dies. I sympathize.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 29 Aug, 2006 07:36 pm
RIP Bakker.

~~~~~~~~~

Puppy? Howzabout adopting a young adult dog in a little bit? A dog who knows how to behave with other adult dogs - and doesn't need house-training. I don't know about anyone else, but I don't like getting up several times in the night to let dogs out.

Yup, as I re-read your post, boomer, I'd just feel too sorry for Bakker's sister having to deal with a puppy.
0 Replies

CerealKiller

Reply Tue 29 Aug, 2006 07:38 pm
Sorry about your dog. Nice name.
0 Replies

Tico

Reply Tue 29 Aug, 2006 07:39 pm
(((Boomerang and family)))
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 29 Aug, 2006 07:59 pm
Sad

im sorry to hear that.

I cant imagine what my world will be like when my best friend Kitten dies.
I have had her since before she could open her eyes. She is , in a sense , a child to me. who has grown in to a great friend.

I am going to ride the boat of ' wait a bit' as well.

If anything, let tammy's wordless sister grieve in her own time.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 29 Aug, 2006 08:24 pm
Thank you. All of you. Thanks.

I haven't really had time to miss Bakker until today. I was doing the big house cleaning and found traces of her everywhere.

I felt like I was erasing her.

Like I said, I don't think "replacement" for a pet but my life has always been filled with animals and now I'm down to two. One cat. One dog.

Okay, Ben the fish is here but he doesn't like to be pet.

A teenage dog might be just right, eBeth, temperment wise.

We have a huge yard and doors we don't bother to close (mostly because of Bakker) so getting up at night wouldn't be a problem.

I miss the commotion and expectation and the durability and the love of a many pet house.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 29 Aug, 2006 08:28 pm
I'd wait and just honor Tammy for a while.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 29 Aug, 2006 08:35 pm
I'm very saddened to hear about Tammy Faye, Boomer. Sounds like she lead a long and happy life...... No advice on gettting a new pet or not. I got three pets in one eight month period and this week, I'll be down to one. I haven't gotten any new pets since those three 11-12 years ago. (except for a couple of fish).
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 29 Aug, 2006 08:46 pm
I got Bakker (Tammy Faye) a few months after Walt Disney (my old dog) died.

It was in honor of Disney that I got Bakker.

My mom always told me that I could get a dog after I moved out and after a few years I got Disney. When she did I got Bakker. Disney taught me to love dogs in a new way. So did Bakker. Thats why I got Bird (my current dog).

I got Biscuit a month or so after Cookie died, which was a month after Boomerang died, which was a month after Bullseye died. Cookie was 16, Boomerang was 20 and Bullseye was 17. I had each of those cats from the time I was a young woman.

Biscuit didn't replace them but honored the role of cats in my life.

As did Bakker, for dogs.

As does Bird, now.

Sometimes I think it is disrespectful to get a new pet and other times I think it honors the role of pets in my life to get another.

I love animals. I grew up with a housefull of animals. I lived in a world where we didn't have new "things" but we always had pet food.

And vet bills.

Animals need us and we need animals.

I miss Bakker.

And my house seems too quiet without her.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 29 Aug, 2006 08:50 pm
Ah well, we have different timings on this. I'm not opposed to another, ever.
But myself, I want my mourning.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Tue 29 Aug, 2006 09:23 pm
I'm sorry you lost your friend Boomer.

What ever happened with Jack the next door dog?
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Tue 29 Aug, 2006 11:30 pm
Oh, I'm so sorry, Boomerang. i understand the need to have another pet in a fairly short time. I think that for some people that feels disloyal and for others it just doesn't.

I know there's no way I could miss my pets who die any less, just no way. I miss them with this huge, aching, sense of loss that can't be diminished by a new face in the household.

The last time I lost a pet (a cat I'd known since I was five) was about five and a half years ago, and I to this day I still cry over her sometimes [size=8](I miss you Stubby)[/size]-- my cat who was a kitten at the time was a comfort, but never a replacement.

I think the next time I lose one of my gang, I'll have to find a new friend of the furry variety very soon afterwards-- just because it does hurt so much, you need to feel like life is not quite so desolate, and a house just doesn't feel right without a little crowd of animals Smile. Do what you need to do, you'll mourn no matter what.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 30 Aug, 2006 04:33 am
Wait for a bit.

When Lulu was 18, she no longer wanted to play with Jezzer who still had a lot of get up and go. But it would have been just too stressful for her to have a kitten brought into the house at such an age.

I'm glad I waited, Roland is so full of beans he already drives Jezzer up the wall, especially since he's twice her size and doesn't know his own strength.

Wait and let you older dog have peaceful days.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 30 Aug, 2006 06:11 am
Sorry for your loss, Boomer. I have no opinion on when the right time for a new dog will be. One day you'll decide to get a new dog -- that will be the right time.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 30 Aug, 2006 07:30 am
Aw, sorry about the loss of Tammy Faye, Boomer. Sad But any time you decide to get another dog is an OK time. I don't believe it's "disrespectful" to your previous dog. It just means that you love animals & derive a great deal of pleasure sharing your life with them! (I can relate to this!Very Happy)
Some wonderfully named pets you've had & what amazing ages they've lived to! You must be doing something very right! You shouldn't deprive your next critter of your company for too long! Very Happy
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 30 Aug, 2006 07:53 am
I agree with the idea that if you get a new dog, when you get a new dog, get an adult rescue or shelter dog. Rescue dogs and dogs in shelters need people like you--you very likely would be saving a dog's life to take them home.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 30 Aug, 2006 07:56 am
Yes. And a very fortunate critter it will be! Very Happy
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 30 Aug, 2006 12:33 pm
My sympathies. Tammy sounds like a dog who leaves a major aching in the heart.

I would wait for at least a month or so before getting a new dog. Mo is in his early days as a schoolboy and you don't want him to be sitting in kindergarten thinking about changes at home.

Also, Mo's bio-mom tends to treat Beloved People as interchangable parts in her life.

I've decided when Iffy goes that I'll replace her with an older adoptee. I'm just not up to housebreaking and civilizing a puppy. On the other hand, if you have youth and enthusiasm getting a pup who can bond and grow older with Mo is a good idea.

I'm not saying an older dog wouldn't adore him, but the very characteristics that make a puppy a major inconvenience for adults make the beastie a learning experience for a kid.

Properly training a dog teaches a lot about crime and punishment and guilt and joy and forgiveness and keeping your new shoes up high.
0 Replies