Who says aliens have to have DNA?

Eorl

Reply Tue 29 Aug, 2006 09:58 pm
yeah, I'm with aperson.

I am very skeptical if only because I want this to be true.

What's going on here?
0 Replies

aperson

Reply Wed 30 Aug, 2006 02:36 am
stuh505 wrote:
Quote:
Without DNA?

Which can survive in tempertures higher than 300 degrees Celius?

Which came after a loud sonic boom was to be heard, indicating that a comet had entered the atmosphere?

And only appeared in the rain in a period of 10 days?

I admit that I am curious too, but let's not forget that although these findings were published it was not exactly a highly reputable source and it was in broken English. When considering the temperature that survival is possible, it's very easy to misinterpret the data as well...increase the temperature in a lab and it may appear that the organism is surviving but in fact it is slowly dying, or unable to actually reproduce at that temperature.

They were Indian; we can't expect them to have perfect English.

I'd love this to be true and it is entirely possible. Unfortunately many bits are missing. That's what makes me wonder if there's something fishy going on.

Why didn't other scientists try to prove Louis wrong? Why were Louis and Kumar the only ones who actually researched the rain? And why the hell haven't I heard about this before? Surely an event such as this, even if the organisms weren't extra-terrestrial, and just an undiscovered species, would have attracted scientists and media from all over?

To me, the article was perfectly correct, but I'm not a scientist.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 30 Aug, 2006 07:10 am
If you read the other thread, you'll find that a team in England is working to duplicate the experiments.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 30 Aug, 2006 07:20 am
aperson wrote:
They were Indian; we can't expect them to have perfect English.

This is a sterile argument. India was a part of the British empire for nearly two hundred years, and native Indians were educated in English-language schools in India (which still exist) and in schools and universities in the English-speaking world. India has produced brilliant mathematicians out of all proportion to the number of highly-perceptive mathematicians one finds in other populations--and they could not have made their way in the world of academic mathematical theory without a solid command of the English language.

While it is likely true that English is not as widely spoken with casual fluency in India as it was before 1947, there not only is no good reason to assume that highly educated Indians would be bereft of English fluency, there is very good reason to assume the opposite.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Wed 30 Aug, 2006 03:12 pm
The results were published in reputable journals such as New Scientist and the Journal Of Astrophysics which do not publish anythng lightly. I am anxious to see the results of the English experiments.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 30 Aug, 2006 04:32 pm
The New Scientist is not a peer-reviewed journal; it's a popular publication. Mention there implies interest, not credibility.

The peer-reviewed journal that the author published in was Astrophysics & Space Science (not the Journal of Astrophysics -- which doesn't appear on a google search to exist -- or the Journal of Astrophysics & Astronomy).
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Wed 30 Aug, 2006 04:47 pm
We'll see what happens. If it's bull **** then it's bull ****. But if it does prove to be something more then this will have tremendous implications for humanity.
0 Replies

Fyerio

Reply Fri 1 Sep, 2006 12:45 am
Great thread Aperson, completely made my day. It is truly a fascinating read.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Fri 1 Sep, 2006 10:15 pm
Re: Who says aliens have to have DNA?
aperson wrote:
Every time someone mentions aliens or lifeforms on other celestial bodies, they always refer to them as if having DNA.

Really? I think you need to read better Sci-Fi authors. Try Gregory Benford, or Robert Forward.

Hollywood is even worse than a DNA snob. Hollywood seems to think that all aliens look like humans (even little green men, still look like 'men'). Pitiful.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Sun 3 Sep, 2006 07:16 pm
There is an argument that a being that could perform all the necessary functions to travel through space could actually require a similar design. There's a biological term I can't remember that refers to the way different species will acquire similar adaptations to achieve the similar purposes.

So they may well be more like us than you would think. Smile

(I think Larry Niven did this a bit)
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sun 3 Sep, 2006 10:03 pm
Eorl wrote:
There's a biological term I can't remember that refers to the way different species will acquire similar adaptations to achieve the similar purposes.

Convergence (Convergent Evolution).

Eorl wrote:
So they may well be more like us than you would think. Smile

I suspect that there will be many biological solutions to the basic challenges of physics that pervade the Universe. So we may see certain similarities in form (bilaterial symetry may be a predominant characteristic for example).

But on Earth, all convergence derives from DNA or lesser bits of similar material. We've yet to see any life form which isn't based on at least a shred of DNA or RNA.

Even the tiniest bit of extraterrestrial biology would be extremely informative to us. I just hope I live long enough to see it when it happens.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Thu 7 Sep, 2006 12:54 pm
Anyone see the PBS program on the Phoenicians, broadcast last night on Boston's Channel 44? Geneticist Spencer Wells determined that the Canaanites, the Phoenicians and the present day inhabitants of Lebanon are the same people. Yeah, I know it's off subject, but I love Wells' work.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Thu 7 Sep, 2006 03:34 pm
Um...Plain...that really is off topic. Maybe start a new thread.
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Thu 7 Sep, 2006 03:54 pm
Quote:
Even the tiniest bit of extraterrestrial biology would be extremely informative to us. I just hope I live long enough to see it when it happens.

Amen.
0 Replies