Red Sox

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Thu 31 Aug, 2006 03:51 pm
Sure, a lot can happen. Like they could sink to a sub-500 team.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 31 Aug, 2006 04:02 pm
according to si.com, wells has been scratched from tonight's start.

looks like he's headed back to the west coast...
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Thu 31 Aug, 2006 06:03 pm
That was just confirmed on the radio.

3-3 right now. Laughing
0 Replies

George

Reply Fri 1 Sep, 2006 06:03 am
The Wells trade is seen as the Sox tossing in the towel for 2006.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Fri 1 Sep, 2006 09:24 am
maybe so, but they played like a team last night for the first time in a long time.

pedroia and kapler made sparkling game-saving defensive plays.

a little luck didn't hurt either -- toronto's right fielder juggled a would-be out into a 2 run homer that turned out to be the margin of victory...
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 1 Sep, 2006 10:52 am
Actually this season is making me remember those long ago days before we, I mean, the Red Sox finally won a World Series. In the seventies and eighties I was living out west and I had to subsist on the merest mentions of the Boston in the local (Tulsa) media. Every year my dad, back in the hills of Connecticut, and I would talk on the phone around the All-Star break about how things were looking good for a solid end to the year with the pennant a real chance.

Then would come August and September with the Sox only two games back of NY or, in more than several years it seems to me, actually leading the division by three, or even four, games. Pop would make the slightest, smallest, crowing sound, I would warn him not too, but he would.

Soon after that, as the year rushed past Labor Day and the first day of school and the trees up on Lookout Mountain just south of the paper mill would started to turn orange and vermilion, the Red Sox would disintegrate. There really isn't another word. They would collapse like that Italian marathoner in the 1950's Olympics, just fall down to their knees in a mad, addled confusion, first to second place, then third, four and half games out, six and half games out, and... .

October would come, Pop would report that the whole backyard,raked clean on Saturday, was six inches deep with oak leaves after a Sunday morning windstorm, my sister's kids had come to visit and the baby, called Bootsie, was talking a blue streak and he hoped to get the stones he was polishing made into something nice for all the family's women for Christmas.

The Red Sox were never mentioned but they were always there, just under the surface, another year of disappointment, another season gone. Their demise was as regular a feature of the fall season as those changing trees up on the mountain, but Pop, like all good Red Sox fans, was never bitter, stoic was more like it. There was never any outward expression of discontent except I did see him slap the hell out of a radio after one particularly crushing near win/loss.

Pop died before the Red Sox won the Series. He lived his whole life watching them miss by a whisker, a missed grounder, a Bucky Dent homer, a pitcher left in too long throwing huge apples straight down the middle of the plate, but I look at this way, the Red Sox gave him two things: hope and the solid consistency of never having that hope realized.
That's something, that's as good as having some unresolved, unrequited love out there somewhere, it's the kind of thing that drives people onto other things in order to take their mind off of the pain.

He used to furiously rake leaves, I am running around Central Park until I cannot see straight. There are acorns all over the roadway and the trees have just the hint of color in them.

Joe(they are six and half games out of the Wild Card)Nation
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Fri 1 Sep, 2006 10:54 am
The Red Sox are finished and finished for a real long time.
0 Replies

George

Reply Fri 1 Sep, 2006 11:54 am
"Finished"?
Was it "finished" when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?
Hell, no!
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Fri 1 Sep, 2006 12:06 pm
George wrote:
"Finished"?
Hell, no!

For those Americans, who died such violent deaths, as occurred at Pearl Harbor, it was over.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Fri 1 Sep, 2006 02:33 pm
Miller wrote:
The Red Sox are finished and finished for a real long time.

Right. They suck. Team sucks.

Nothing to do with the fact tonight they have FOUR of their regular starters in the lineup. Rest out with injuries.

But they must be finished for years to come.

Stupid.
0 Replies

Shoe Et Tu

Reply Fri 1 Sep, 2006 03:02 pm
Bye-Bye Theo, the jerko!
0 Replies

George

Reply Fri 1 Sep, 2006 03:05 pm
Miller wrote:
George wrote:
"Finished"?
Hell, no!

For those Americans, who died such violent deaths, as occurred at Pearl Harbor, it was over.

That was just a reference to Bluto's rant in "Animal House".
Not trying to get too heavy here.
0 Replies

Dizzy Delicious

Reply Fri 1 Sep, 2006 03:20 pm
Fenway Park needs to be torn down.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Fri 1 Sep, 2006 03:23 pm
Wow. Whenever I want to see what a bunch of people who know nothing about sports but comment on it anway gather, I'll click on this thread again.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sat 2 Sep, 2006 08:01 am
And ... John Lester has non-Hodgkins Lymphoma.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Sat 2 Sep, 2006 12:32 pm
jespah wrote:
And ... John Lester has non-Hodgkins Lymphoma.
Well, that certainly is good news. If he can maintain a decent game for another or season we (The Yankees) will need him to be in top physical form when we steal him from the Loser Sox.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sat 2 Sep, 2006 07:00 pm
i don't mind going out on a limb in cyberspace, so here's the deal people...

9/2/06
26 games left in the season.
8 games behind the yankees.
6 games behind minnesota/chicago for the wild card.
    the sawx will overcome all adversity, and [b]win the wild-card.[/b]
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sun 3 Sep, 2006 12:56 am
We'll see.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sun 3 Sep, 2006 09:15 am
Have fun at the game today, RP.
0 Replies

Red River

Reply Sun 3 Sep, 2006 09:45 am