No top replies

stuh505

Reply Sat 26 Aug, 2006 07:44 am
So basically,

(X + Y) / XY = Ignorance / Hold
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Sat 26 Aug, 2006 12:17 pm
Good post coberst. There is indeed a third side to matters most would tend to bifurcate.
'Hold', in the absence of convincing evidence, is the only rational choice.
0 Replies

coberst

Reply Sat 26 Aug, 2006 03:30 pm
Doktor S wrote:
Good post coberst. There is indeed a third side to matters most would tend to bifurcate.
'Hold', in the absence of convincing evidence, is the only rational choice.

Whoo! Thank you. I seldom get a thumbs up and when I do I appreciate it.
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Sat 26 Aug, 2006 04:18 pm
Quote:

Perhaps, but realistically, people do favour one side over the other, and in situations where a person is in a position where he or she has to act in a way that sides with acceptance or rejection of X, then this is one of those occasion where the 'hold' option breaks down.
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Sat 26 Aug, 2006 06:12 pm
Re: Op-tion-al il-lu-sions
Ok, ok, I'm ready to take this post seriously now.

coberst wrote:

I agree that "holding" as you put it (in other words, leaving one's mind option to the possibility of truth or falsehood until further evidence becomes handy) is often a wise decision. I try to hold as often as I can but sometimes I make mistakes, we all do. Young people's minds are more easily coerced and that is because they have not learned the necessary discretion because what seems to be true at first is not always true.

Quote:

But whenever they are negative to one thing, they are necessarily being positive to something else, which usually also has a large following. Yes, they like to be rebellious...but it's usually in predictable ways isnt it?

Quote:

That all depends on the person's ego, and opinion is the same as judgement.

Quote:

Whether or not it is "smart" is debatable. If smart is defined as not being false as much as possible, then you are correct. However, if "smart" is defined to be being right as much as possible, then you may be wrong. It really depends on the person's personality whether they'd rather believe ONLY what they know is true, or EVERYTHING that they think is probably true.

Quote:

I disagree, it really depends on the situation. Sometimes it is best to play the odds.
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Sat 26 Aug, 2006 11:30 pm
coberst wrote:

I prefer to take things on a case-by-case basis. Trying to generalize the problem-solving and decision-making process in broad, sweeping blanket statements is partly what causes the kind of ignorance you're referring to here.
0 Replies

coberst

Reply Sun 27 Aug, 2006 05:46 am
stuh505 wrote:
Ok, ok, I'm ready to take this post seriously now.

coberst wrote:

I agree that "holding" as you put it (in other words, leaving one's mind option to the possibility of truth or falsehood until further evidence becomes handy) is often a wise decision. I try to hold as often as I can but sometimes I make mistakes, we all do. Young people's minds are more easily coerced and that is because they have not learned the necessary discretion because what seems to be true at first is not always true.

Quote:

But whenever they are negative to one thing, they are necessarily being positive to something else, which usually also has a large following. Yes, they like to be rebellious...but it's usually in predictable ways isnt it?

Quote:

That all depends on the person's ego, and opinion is the same as judgement.

Quote:

Whether or not it is "smart" is debatable. If smart is defined as not being false as much as possible, then you are correct. However, if "smart" is defined to be being right as much as possible, then you may be wrong. It really depends on the person's personality whether they'd rather believe ONLY what they know is true, or EVERYTHING that they think is probably true.

Quote:

I disagree, it really depends on the situation. Sometimes it is best to play the odds.

Yes when they are negative to the OP they are indeed positive to being cool.

"Opinion is the same as judgment" Now there is a bit of opinion that proves my point!

" However, if "smart" is defined to be being right as much as possible, then you may be wrong. It really depends on the person's personality whether they'd rather believe ONLY what they know is true, or EVERYTHING that they think is probably true."

Whoo! beam me up Scotty.

If you do not believe in 'hold' you must depend on luck and not odds. Odds are a matter of reasoned judgment not random opinions.
0 Replies