Disregarded and Ignored Words Part I (Might)

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 23 Aug, 2006 02:47 pm
Re: Disregarded and Ignored Words Part I (Might)
Mindonfire wrote:
In order to establish their doctrines and to make them fit a preconceived idea, there are little but important words that Christians tend to disregrd or ignore.

Yes, like "fact."
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Wed 23 Aug, 2006 03:01 pm
aidan wrote:
See now Neologist - that's where I get all confused. Because on one hand, it's not supposed to be about "good works" (or behavior) and then on the other hand you have verses like that one in Peter that infer that it is somehow more difficult for a sinner to achieve salvation than someone who at least appears to be more righteous. (I really hate that word).

I think those type of verses almost imply that a judgemental attitude among Christians is implicit and in fact, advocated. Who's to judge who is and what isn't righteous? I think those who pass judgement on others are perhaps committing the worst sin because they're placing themselves in God's role. And that "righteous" judgemental attitude is what turns so many people off to Christianity. I know it's what turned me off to organized Christianity - even though I was practically born and brought up in the church.

Luckily I know a lot of Christians who practice a more empathetic and understanding humanistic form of Christianity so my view is not totally jaded. And I know what I've read about who Jesus was and what he believed and taught so I don't buy into that whole Christian right gig as anything related to what Jesus taught or who he was.

What's your view?
Best to let the Bible answer:

"Nevertheless, a certain one will say: "You have faith, and I have works. Show me your faith apart from the works, and I shall show you my faith by my works." 19 You believe there is one God, do you? You are doing quite well. And yet the demons believe and shudder. 20 But do you care to know, O empty man, that faith apart from works is inactive? . . . Indeed, as the body without spirit is dead, so also faith without works is dead." (James 2:18-20,26)
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Wed 23 Aug, 2006 04:04 pm
Quote:
"Nevertheless, a certain one will say: "You have faith, and I have works. Show me your faith apart from the works, and I shall show you my faith by my works."

Yes, because ideally faith or beliefs in a principal or ideal will inform one's behavior. And to be honest - I'm most attracted to Christian faiths that are socially conscious and active - like Methodists. But what do you say of the "Christian" whose behavior may look exemplary to the outside eye, has strong faith, yet is engaging in judgement inwardly- or even outwardly as a lot of strongly faithful Christians do?

I do want you to know I 'm not challenging you - I'm just kind of picking your brain. I've been thinking quite a lot about my own personal spirituality lately. I'm very conflicted. I was raised as a Christian, and part of me is literally kind of superstitiously afraid to renounce it - but I almost feel that honestly I should not claim to be a Christian because I am also literally unable to believe that God would consign those who have different beliefs to hell- and I'm unable to do that myself.
But there's another part of me that doesn't want to renounce it or relinquish it because it has brought me such comfort at times in my life.
I guess I'm looking for some loophole so that I can have it both ways- the story of my life Laughing .
0 Replies

Scott777ab

Reply Wed 23 Aug, 2006 05:48 pm
neologist wrote:
aidan wrote:
See now Neologist - that's where I get all confused. Because on one hand, it's not supposed to be about "good works" (or behavior) and then on the other hand you have verses like that one in Peter that infer that it is somehow more difficult for a sinner to achieve salvation than someone who at least appears to be more righteous. (I really hate that word).

I think those type of verses almost imply that a judgemental attitude among Christians is implicit and in fact, advocated. Who's to judge who is and what isn't righteous? I think those who pass judgement on others are perhaps committing the worst sin because they're placing themselves in God's role. And that "righteous" judgemental attitude is what turns so many people off to Christianity. I know it's what turned me off to organized Christianity - even though I was practically born and brought up in the church.

Luckily I know a lot of Christians who practice a more empathetic and understanding humanistic form of Christianity so my view is not totally jaded. And I know what I've read about who Jesus was and what he believed and taught so I don't buy into that whole Christian right gig as anything related to what Jesus taught or who he was.

What's your view?
Best to let the Bible answer:

"Nevertheless, a certain one will say: "You have faith, and I have works. Show me your faith apart from the works, and I shall show you my faith by my works." 19 You believe there is one God, do you? You are doing quite well. And yet the demons believe and shudder. 20 But do you care to know, O empty man, that faith apart from works is inactive? . . . Indeed, as the body without spirit is dead, so also faith without works is dead." (James 2:18-20,26)

Sorry about this neo but i hate any translation that is not KJV.
So here is the KJV

Jam 2:18 Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works.
Jam 2:19 Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.
Jam 2:20 But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?
Jam 2:21 Was not Abraham our father justified by works, when he had offered Isaac his son upon the altar?
Jam 2:22 Seest thou how faith wrought with his works, and by works was faith made perfect?
Jam 2:23 And the scripture was fulfilled which saith, Abraham believed God, and it was imputed unto him for righteousness: and he was called the Friend of God.
Jam 2:24 Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only.
Jam 2:25 Likewise also was not Rahab the harlot justified by works, when she had received the messengers, and had sent [them] out another way?
Jam 2:26 For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.

That is what I don't get about you Neo.
Verse 26 is a great verse that show that the sprit is not the body.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 23 Aug, 2006 06:40 pm
Might I make a suggestion here?

One might make an attempt at understanding the English language. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Scott777ab

Reply Wed 23 Aug, 2006 08:03 pm
Chai Tea wrote:

And your point is what exactly? Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Wed 23 Aug, 2006 08:16 pm
aidan wrote:
Quote:
"Nevertheless, a certain one will say: "You have faith, and I have works. Show me your faith apart from the works, and I shall show you my faith by my works."

Yes, because ideally faith or beliefs in a principal or ideal will inform one's behavior. And to be honest - I'm most attracted to Christian faiths that are socially conscious and active - like Methodists. But what do you say of the "Christian" whose behavior may look exemplary to the outside eye, has strong faith, yet is engaging in judgement inwardly- or even outwardly as a lot of strongly faithful Christians do?

I do want you to know I 'm not challenging you - I'm just kind of picking your brain. I've been thinking quite a lot about my own personal spirituality lately. I'm very conflicted. I was raised as a Christian, and part of me is literally kind of superstitiously afraid to renounce it - but I almost feel that honestly I should not claim to be a Christian because I am also literally unable to believe that God would consign those who have different beliefs to hell- and I'm unable to do that myself.
But there's another part of me that doesn't want to renounce it or relinquish it because it has brought me such comfort at times in my life.
I guess I'm looking for some loophole so that I can have it both ways- the story of my life Laughing .
Jesus spoke about the religious leaders who ". . . resemble whitewashed graves, which outwardly indeed appear beautiful but inside are full of dead men's bones and of every sort of uncleanness. 28 In that way YOU also, outwardly indeed, appear righteous to men, but inside YOU are full of hypocrisy and lawlessness."

I certainly believe he was referring to those who knew the truth but who played false to it. As for those who never knew the truth, John 5:28 promises them a resurrection where they may claim the life which Adam lost.

As for those who are ignorant of the truth in the last days, God has published this warning about Babylon the Great:
"And I heard another voice from heaven, saying, Come out of her, my people, that ye be not partakers of her sins, and that ye receive not of her plagues.
[5] For her sins have reached unto heaven, and God hath remembered her iniquities." (Revelation 18:4,5)
More to it, of course; but I hope that helps.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Wed 23 Aug, 2006 08:20 pm
BTW, Scott. I think my citation was a correct answer to aidan's question. As for the soul vs. spirit. . . . Another time.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Wed 23 Aug, 2006 10:34 pm
Quote:
Jesus spoke about the religious leaders who ". . . resemble whitewashed graves, which outwardly indeed appear beautiful but inside are full of dead men's bones and of every sort of uncleanness. 28 In that way YOU also, outwardly indeed, appear righteous to men, but inside YOU are full of hypocrisy and lawlessness."

I certainly believe he was referring to those who knew the truth but who played false to it. As for those who never knew the truth, John 5:28 promises them a resurrection where they may claim the life which Adam lost.

As for those who are ignorant of the truth in the last days, God has published this warning about Babylon the Great:
"And I heard another voice from heaven, saying, Come out of her, my people, that ye be not partakers of her sins, and that ye receive not of her plagues.
[5] For her sins have reached unto heaven, and God hath remembered her iniquities." (Revelation 18:4,5)
More to it, of course; but I hope that helps.

No, it doesn't really help (me with my questions- it might be helpful to someone else though Laughing ). To me, it just sounds like a lot more judgement and condemnation- except for the part where those "who never knew the truth" are promised a resurrection where they may claim the life that Adam lost".

But who would that include exactly? Would that include Hindus and Muslims, and everyone else who were not raised in or exposed to a Christian tradition or upbringing? And what about Jews, who are fully aware of Jesus' availability as a Messiah but have actively rejected it? And that doesn't even address homosexuals and others who either have been given or have chosen an alternative life-style than the one that the Christian right very narrowly prescribes as "righteous".

It's so interesting what different people choose to focus on. My favorite bible verse is: Micah 6:8. "He has showed you, O man, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly, and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God. ..." (or in the KJV Scott : Micah 6:8 He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?). I think I'll stick with that for right now and leave the judgement and condemnation to other folks (and God if he so chooses).

Thanks for your input though. It was helpful in helping me decide how I don't want to be, and truly - that's a help. (A lot of "helping" and "helps" going on in that sentence -I guess that sentence would be considered a solecism - something else I learned about on A2k.)
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Wed 23 Aug, 2006 10:44 pm
aidan wrote:
But who would that include exactly? Would that include Hindus and Muslims, and everyone else who were not raised in or exposed to a Christian tradition or upbringing? And what about Jews, who are fully aware of Jesus' availability as a Messiah but have actively rejected it? And that doesn't even address homosexuals and others who either have been given or have chosen an alternative life-style than the one that the Christian right very narrowly prescribes as "righteous".
Should I be among those looking around after the day of God's judgement, we no doubt will be as surprised by those still standing as by those who are missing. God's outstanding quality of love must surely include mercy.

And, yes. It would be all inclusive.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Wed 23 Aug, 2006 11:19 pm
Yes, mercy and forgiveness - what concepts. But I don't think God's outstanding quality of love merely includes them- I think that's what makes God's standard of love so superior to humans' -because those concepts are its defining characteristics. That's why it's so sad that there is so much focus on judgement and condemnation by those who would teach God's love.

I must have just grown up in a really, really, different kind of Christian tradition. In some ways I'm glad - but in others- it makes it so confusing.
Oh well - it'll all come out in the wash (the final reckoning). Maybe it's not for us to know right now.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 24 Aug, 2006 04:17 am
Scott777ab wrote:
Chai Tea wrote:

If you don't take my point, you're worse off than I thought.
0 Replies

Scott777ab

Reply Thu 24 Aug, 2006 10:31 am
Chai Tea wrote:
Scott777ab wrote:
Chai Tea wrote:

If you don't take my point, you're worse off than I thought.

I will try to understand your point as soon as you make one.[/i][/u][/color]
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 24 Aug, 2006 10:45 am
aidan wrote:
Yes, mercy and forgiveness - what concepts. But I don't think God's outstanding quality of love merely includes them- I think that's what makes God's standard of love so superior to humans' -because those concepts are its defining characteristics. That's why it's so sad that there is so much focus on judgement and condemnation by those who would teach God's love.

I must have just grown up in a really, really, different kind of Christian tradition. In some ways I'm glad - but in others- it makes it so confusing.
Oh well - it'll all come out in the wash (the final reckoning). Maybe it's not for us to know right now.
The Bible was written to be understood by the least of us. So, keep in mind these words of Jesus at John 17:3: "This means everlasting life, their taking in knowledge of you, the only true God, and of the one whom you sent forth, Jesus Christ." So long as you are doing so honestly, you are sure to keep in the way.
0 Replies

wwlcj1982

Reply Fri 25 Aug, 2006 12:18 am
You know we don't have this kind of problem 'cause all the words we read have been translated into Chinese, which is totoally different language from yours. And if you pay too much attenction to one word, you "might" miss the forest. As a result, you are likely to become a Pharisee yourself(just a joke, no offended)
0 Replies

Mindonfire

Reply Fri 25 Aug, 2006 08:11 am
Scott777ab wrote:

That is what I don't get about you Neo.
Verse 26 is a great verse that show that the sprit is not the body.

When did that happen?

Body
: (n) 1 a : the main part of a plant or animal body especially as distinguished from limbs and head : TRUNK b : the main, central, or principal part: as (1) : the nave of a church (2) : the bed or box of a vehicle on or in which the load is placed (3) : the enclosed or partly enclosed part of an automobile
2 a : the organized physical substance of an animal or plant either living or dead: as (1) : the material part or nature of a human being (2) : a dead organism : CORPSE b : a human being : PERSON
0 Replies

duce

Reply Fri 25 Aug, 2006 08:37 am
Quote:
That it might be fulfilled

Look there is the word "might" in this, would you argue the same for this "might" as you did for the other "Mights" you quoted in Galatians?
0 Replies