My graduation speech!

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2003 03:13 pm
Hello all. I am the validictorian of my graduation class this year, and I need help in doing a speech. I'm good in English, got no problem in that, but this is the first time I do a speech like that and it is a very unique occasion that I haven't been to before.
So could you please give me ideas on how to start with that speech? What to include in it? How to give it? What should I stress on? How long should it be? Examples?? ..
Thank you so much.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,612 • Replies: 4
No top replies

MisterEThoughts

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2003 03:41 pm
well the only advice I probably will give you is to practice practice practice repeating it what you have wrote.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2003 06:03 pm
I advise you to keep it short and simple. Put every word you want to say in large type on small numbered cards. If you think there should be a pause, be sure to note that on your cards. This will be just like Winston Churchill did his speeches, but be sure and DO NOT read "Pause for applause". Wink

Here is a tried and true graduation speech. Start with a gracious welcome to the people who have attended -- include school board members if they are there. Thank the people who should be thanked, including the musicians. Say how honored you are to have been chosen to represent your class. Describe some of the highlights of your four years, especially ones that were particularly meaningful or taught you and your classmates something.

Note how young you were when you entered high school, how much it was like a beginning to adulthood. Now you and your classmates are leaving high school and entering the real world. You and they will be going in many different directions but every one of you has the opportunity to make the world a better place. Describe your hopes for how the world could be a better place.

End with a joke; for example, remember when you wake up next Monday, DON'T go back to the school.

It's also nice to end with an "I love you Mom - I love you Dad!" especially if you are looking directly where they are sitting.

Congratulations on your accomplishments, your graduation and your chance to speak for the whole class. It truly is an honor.
Good Luck!
0 Replies

vonderjohn

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2003 03:38 pm
Thank you
Piffka thank you a WHOLE lot for the great advise you gave me, i'll be printing it out for a good reference, and i'll let you know if I have any further questions, and for sure i'll let you know how it goes Smile
Thanks again Very Happy
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2003 03:52 pm
You are surely welcome. I hope it goes very well for you and look forward to hearing your report!
0 Replies