Cronenberg does it again: A History of Violence

stuh505

Reply Sun 20 Aug, 2006 12:57 pm
Well I'm not a film encyclopedia, but I did see Dead Ringers a while back with my gf and we were both very pleased. I decided to try out another one of his more recent films, A History of Violence. This time, a thriller, so I knew it wasn't going to have all the disturbing twisted stuff that I liked about Dead Ringers.

Well, it was still a captivating and mostly unique thriller. Very similar to Payback.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 638 • Replies: 8
No top replies

cyphercat

Reply Sun 20 Aug, 2006 02:29 pm
I was a bit put off by Dead Ringers, but it was very atmospheric and engrossing...Have to say I was let down by History of Violence-- I found it kinda predictable; I kept waiting for some kind of twist or something.

Two Cronenburg ones I really, really liked were Existenz and Spider. Existenz is really weird...kind of an up-in-the-air ending that you could interpret in different ways.

Spider is one of my all-time fave films. It was just fascinating...my boyfriend and I were still talking about it days afterward. And you can't beat the casting either: Ralph Fiennes, Miranda Richardson, Gabriel Byrne...<happy sigh> I really recommend it, and you've gotta let me know what you think if you see it.
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Tue 22 Aug, 2006 03:38 pm
Thanks for the suggestions. I will definitely watch them when I get a chance. I don't disagree that a history of violence was predictable, but I still found it satisfying. I think, mostly I was satisfied because there are so many movies where the main characters are too scared to take action to defend themselves and this weakness on their part always allows the villain to continue his plot which could have been cut short. I can't identify with these characrers because personally, I would just shoot the guy...
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Wed 23 Aug, 2006 04:05 pm
Well I just saw Spider. I kept wondering, "when is it going to start?" I must admit, I found it pretty straightforward and way too slow...
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Wed 23 Aug, 2006 09:34 pm
<sniffle> And I LOVE that movie!

Sorry to steer you wrong!
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Thu 24 Aug, 2006 08:05 pm
I didn't like eXistenZ either...the whole wake up / are you still dreaming theme is really not very original and they just keep pushing this so much, it doesn't seem like there's much of a plot at all. The concept of a game system that takes over people's lives in the future is a good one, but it was done better in a Gen2 Star Trek episode.

Still, I'm glad I watched them even if it's just to know what else he has made.
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Thu 24 Aug, 2006 10:14 pm
"The Game"?

"THE GAME"?!?

You honestly think that was better than Existenz?? My GOD, the idea of an orgasmic Wesley Crusher ALONE is enough to make me want to cut my entire head off when I think of that episode....

Anyway, I basically agree with you about Existenz, certainly not a brand spankin new concept; but I still found it entertaining. Now that you say that though and I think about it a bit more, I think I was remembering it as better than it was. Meh...don't listen to my movie recommendations anymore!

Okay, here's the acid test to see if our tastes can ever coincide: that Next Gen episode where they're caught in a loop that ends with the Enterprise blowing up, and Data sends himself a message to figure out how to stop it...One of the very, very best episodes. Without question. You can't possibly disagree with that! Unless there is something just intrinsically wrong with you. Razz
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Fri 25 Aug, 2006 06:23 am
By "The Game" I guess you are referring to the title of the star trek episode I mentioned? Then yes I do. I also thought the movie "The Game" was very good.

I haven't seen star trek in a long time...and I can only vaguely remember that episode. But i liked most of star trek.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 28 Aug, 2006 08:20 am
I found "A History of Violence" to be the best adaptation of an illustrated novel. I was glued to the screen for the entire film and couldn't help identifying with the protagonist. Although perhaps not as severe, I think we've all had things in our past that can come back to haunt us. Superb acting, inspired direction, and a solid script easily makes this film one of the top ten of last year.
0 Replies