Fishing - what's the point to it?

littlek

Reply Sun 20 Aug, 2006 05:51 pm
Chai Tea wrote:
I grew up at a marina.

All fishing means to me is having both your parents get up at 3:00am and work your ass off until after dark 7 days a week from the week before Memorial Day to the week after Labor Day.

It means the word summer holds no meaning for the kids beyond pumping gas and selling and smelling bait in the hot damn sun to a bunch of people, 90% men, who have no idea what they are doing and are using this as an excuse to get sun and windburned, drunk and lecherous. It means having to make sure your house is double bolted at all times so you won't have your house broken into by the same drunken ****.
It means every Monday morning finding rotting stinking dead fish left if bizaare places because these drunks didn't want to take their fish home, they just wanted to drink and catch them.

I love to eat fish.
I farking hate fishing and anything having to do with it.

So..... what are you saying?
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sun 20 Aug, 2006 06:05 pm
Sorry if my life experience from 8 to 19 bores you.

Maybe I'll go back and relive my childhood to incorporate some ponies and tea parties into it instead of having some drunk 50 year old fisherman slurring "c'mere sweetie" to me.
0 Replies

antelope jeff

Reply Sun 20 Aug, 2006 11:07 pm
Fishing whats the point to it
OK, I'm going to voice in hear and probally be condemned by most of you but I am a tournament fisherman. I fish for money because I enjoy fishing and I'm not bad at it. I can make as much money or more from one day of fishing than I can from a week at work. 20 years ago, the men that did this killed everything they caught. Today, we make every attempt to keep our fish alive and release them in good health. I also enjoy fishing because it gets me in the outdoors where I feel I belong. I also run a kids fishing club. The point behind that is to get children relating to their parents or adult figures one on one and away from modern day technology's. There is nothing better than a youth spending a day with one he admires with no interuptions. Just about every fisherman I know is involved in some sort of conservation activity, youth group, or something that gives back. It's so easy to sit and render judgement, but if your not out there like we are, being proactive, your voice isn't worth anything. One more thing. Why do Christians use the symbol of a fish? Wasn't Jesus a fisherman? Are you willing to condem him for that?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 21 Aug, 2006 05:54 am
farmerman wrote:
Why dont we make resin casts of our departed loved ones? WhY? cause its weird as hell thats why. Same thing for fish.

I once remember a movie where the star had stuffed all of her "dearly beloveds" and had them sitting at their usual places at the dinner table! Laughing

antelope jeff - I am a nature lover, and really enjoy being outdoors, in as quiet a place as possible, relishing the sun, the water, and and the vegetation of the place. Couldn't the kids just as easily be out in rowboat or canoe, enjoying the scenery, and possibly taking pictures? What's this thing about matching wits with a fish?
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 21 Aug, 2006 07:24 am
Chai Tea wrote:
I grew up at a marina.

All fishing means to me is having both your parents get up at 3:00am and work your ass off until after dark 7 days a week from the week before Memorial Day to the week after Labor Day.

It means the word summer holds no meaning for the kids beyond pumping gas and selling and smelling bait in the hot damn sun to a bunch of people, 90% men, who have no idea what they are doing and are using this as an excuse to get sun and windburned, drunk and lecherous. It means having to make sure your house is double bolted at all times so you won't have your house broken into by the same drunken ****.
It means every Monday morning finding rotting stinking dead fish left if bizaare places because these drunks didn't want to take their fish home, they just wanted to drink and catch them.

I love to eat fish.
I farking hate fishing and anything having to do with it.

My dad had a service station...

I hear ya.

Perhaps you and Gus could go fishing his way....
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 21 Aug, 2006 07:26 am
Chai Tea wrote:
Sorry if my life experience from 8 to 19 bores you.

Maybe I'll go back and relive my childhood to incorporate some ponies and tea parties into it instead of having some drunk 50 year old fisherman slurring "c'mere sweetie" to me.

Er...

Don't let your leg come off in littlek's hand....
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Mon 21 Aug, 2006 08:39 am
A.Jeff wrote:

Quote:
Wasn't Jesus a fisherman? Are you willing to condem him for that?

I don't have an issue with people who fish for a living...

I just don't know why it is considered a sport?

I eat meat and fish - but I don't think it's 'sporting' to hurt something - just 'cos you can...

Why would you want children to witness that? Is it supposed to be 'manly'???
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 21 Aug, 2006 09:31 am
does that mean that you prefer fishing with TNT?
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Mon 21 Aug, 2006 09:33 am
yep - don't hear 'em scream...
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 21 Aug, 2006 09:39 am
I loved fishing when I was a kid. I remember being taken fishing while on a field trip in 3rd grade. The guy who took us -- one of the dads in the class -- was a doctor, and when he filleted (sp? looks wrong) the fish he gave us a thorough anatomy lesson that I found completely fascinating. It all fit into my interests in science and nature (I planned to be a naturalist for a long time).

Fishing -- especially catch-and-release in a wild setting of some sort -- strikes me as much more appealing as a whole passel of alternatives. How about ATVing, tearing up the countryside and scaring the wildlife? Snowmobiling, same thing? And those are at least outside -- all of this sounds better than ubiquitous video games, inside, sitting down, for hours on end, with no human contact.

While ideally people would want to just go outside and BE -- I love that, myself -- it's human nature to want to have some point to it. Some activity, something specific and fun. Maybe finding the elusive yellow-necked lesser spring Northern warbler, maybe taking that perfect wildflower photo, maybe catching a fish.

As long as it's done responsibly, I have no problem with it (and while I do it rarely, enjoy it when I do it).
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Mon 21 Aug, 2006 11:04 am
"Of course, now I am too old to be much of a fisherman, and now of course I usually fish the big waters alone, although some friends think I shouldn't. Like many fly fishermen in western Montana where the summer days are almost Arctic in length, I often do not start fishing until the cool of the evening. Then in the Arctic half-light of the canyon, all existence fades to a being with my soul and memories and the sounds of the Big Blackfoot River and a four-count rhythm and the hope that a fish will rise."

Norman Maclean, A River Runs Through It

I haven't fished since I was a kid. But I remember the warm sun and the cool, clear creek, how good it felt to eat my lunch in the shade of the nearby trees and the sheer joy of being surrounded by nature. I've always intended one of these days, when I have the time, to learn fly fishing.

Sometimes, it's just the act of fishing, not of catching...
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 21 Aug, 2006 11:19 am
My husband used to do a bit of lake fishing. I never cared for it, but I did like to row. So between us, we got to do what we both wanted!
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Sat 2 Sep, 2006 09:07 pm
I like fishing - with the point of getting dinner or breakfast. I have some of the most fantastic memories of my grampa taking me out fishing. Week-end camping trip. He'd teach me other things as well, which Smorgs wouldn't approve of.
You knew you were a big kid when you got invited. Just grampa, you, and sometimes his fishing/hunting buddy or his gf (she was a great cook). Smile

The pleasure of finally 'getting it', learning about the equipment, practicing and being patient (not easy for a kid!), learning to fillet and take care with what fish you took.

The best though was the bonding, being in nature, and eating that fish! If you actually do everything yourself and keep it 'bare', it is exquisite!

Grampa slipped conservation lessons on the trips too. Nothing wasted. Clean up after yourself properly and your things or ask for trouble. This plant does this, this look to the water means this. Etc.

I do not sport hunt or fish, but enjoy hunting/fishing on occasion. You take to eat, be respectful.

Especially nowadays, there is something so glorious about killing your own food. It may seem brutal, but it's what we are. One on one, it's a good reminder that a person has a thin veneer of protection. We're part of this.
In the city one doesn't even have to think of it...I like be reminded of that connection. I like being intimate with it, even the gory parts.
0 Replies