Is It All That Bad?

NNY

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2003 03:11 am
Forced into a role as economy pusher for a government of man made laws that are now assumed to be correct without choice, except going to the most primitive of lands, losing half of your life in the process. The only other option life in anarchy, anarchy which can not be trusted with the filth of humans, the Evil of humans. Greed, Power, Envy. Why is Law good? Is it?

-Nihilist
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,277 • Replies: 6
No top replies

jespah

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2003 09:20 am
Could you please clarify your position? Are you saying there's something inherently wrong with a law like "murder is illegal"?
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2003 05:48 pm
Some laws are obviously needed, but some of them are rediculous IMO.
0 Replies

NNY

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2003 07:11 pm
Could you please clarify your position?

What a thesis statement or something to that extreme?
SO Organized!
Styrofoam talks when it is so..
Well let's see, I guess i was just looking for a reassurance of my sanity as the whole goverment vs anarchy thought seems too much like a catch 22. If it is all as bad as i rambled, Im not inane. If not, I've lost too much of the wall.

We are controlled. No choice. Born into slanted grounds. Life sewn within limits already. Brain hurts. Stop.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2003 08:32 am
NNY wrote:
Could you please clarify your position?

What a thesis statement or something to that extreme?

No, not a thesis statement. Just more than a few words. We humans have had laws since the time of the Egyptians and most likely earlier. There are literally thousands of laws, probably thousands in each country. Many are intelligent and needed (e. g. Don't kill, don't deal drugs to children, etc.). Many are stupid (It's illegal to ride a horse on Sundays, no dogs are allowed within 200 feet of a church, etc.).

So, without going into a long and drawn-out explanation, I'd like to know what you think. Dumping all laws means anarchy - don't you think the law against stealing should be applied when it's your stuff that's taken? But a lot of laws are, like I said, silly. Plus, legislatures loooove bureaucracy, and often there are tangled webs of laws wherein more simple solutions might work. But keep in mind that many things that we might consider to be unnecessary complications are needed, as they've been challenged. A law against driving while intoxicated is nice, but it needs a blood-alcohol limit to be listed or else the definition of "intoxicated" will be challenged, for example.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2003 08:38 am
I think you're playing fast and loose with your description of: "We are controlled. No choice. Born into slanted grounds. Life sewn within limits already. Brain hurts. Stop."

You have been born into a comfortably safe world which affords you the leisure and means to communicate as you have here. If your brain hurts, it doubtless arises from cramming too much silliness in there about personal freedom. Anarchy means losing your personal freedom to anyone who can force their choices on you by main force. The social contract works to afford to individuals as much freedom as is consistent with providing a reasonable security from want and coersion to as many as possible. The alternative is "the law of the jungle." Anarchy is a mental toy for the social and politically immature, who do not recognize that were anarchy the order of the day, they would have no opportunity to devote time to the contemplation of anarchy or nihilism, as their waking hours would be totally consumed in the pursuit of survival, both to feed themselves and protect themselves from the elements, and to avoid destruction at the hands of the physically stronger and brigandage.
0 Replies

NNY

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2003 09:31 pm
** Connotation of the word anarchy in following rambles: Without Government**

!) That is my point, no laws are anarchy and yet laws are without true freedom from mankind. Who is too say that no killing is any less just than not riding a horse on Sunday. They are all based on ethics, situations and the people that created them. My life is controlled and manipulated by other peoples ideals, "truths". Just because the average social dwelling being is disgusted by death, it does not make it wrong, if someone kills me today with a band-aid and his imagination who is to say it's wrong? Sure I won't like it, but that does not mean a whole system of stereotypes and biggotry has to be built around the populace. Right and wrong can hold no power because they are opinonated and man made. How have these opinions of others already suffocated so much of my life? And without it? Social anarchy that would eventually turn into mass destruction or yet another government due to the need for power by man.
depressing.. Thanks for your comment. No sarcasm, I mean it, though you will probally read it as so anyway, thanks.

@) Fast and Loose? Really? No...Really? I guess what I have to say to you is you left what I was saying back there and clipped a nice piece that would fit in your pocket. It's easier if I was against one side wouldn't it?
In the topic I condemn anarchy as well. But I Did like how you did that rant! Nifty! Damn Toys are in the Way.
0 Replies