Many said this movie sucked

Quote:
This is an awful film for these reasons:

1) No one asked for it.

2) The "hero" is a terrorist.

3) He wears a silly mask.

4) It is an awful film.

5) This is not a moral film.

6) It is bigoted against people of faith.

7) It is not a good film.

Much more were crazy over it:
Quote:
Now it's #135 and climbing!

Let's get this around the #100 place

For me, this is a movie, that kept me excited for a whole night, and reduced me to swelling eyes in the end.
Maybe for a individual living in the similiar circumstances as the characters in the movie did(and striking resemblance to 1989 of some flashbacks), the extremism, anarchism, dislikers-claimed anti-Christianism and homosexuality, and admittedly the roughness of presentation just don't matter that much.
It's one of the best so far in this century IMHO

What do you think of it?

We can discuss.

And I will post some beloved lines intermittently.

JB
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,732 • Replies: 24
No top replies

J-B

Reply Sat 19 Aug, 2006 08:44 pm
Gorgeous it is:
Quote:
"VoilĂ ! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished. However, this valorous visitation of a bygone vexation stands vivified, and has vowed to vanquish these venal and virulent vermin vanguarding vice and vouchsafing the violently vicious and voracious violation of volition. The only verdict is vengeance; a vendetta held as a votive, not in vain, for the value and veracity of such shall one day vindicate the vigilant and the virtuous. Verily, this vichyssoise of verbiage veers most verbose, so let me simply add that it's my very good honor to meet you and you may call me V."

Well, I still cannot understand it....
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Sat 19 Aug, 2006 09:07 pm
I really liked this movie...I thought it had very interesting ideas to offer about civil disobedience, oppression, courage, etc. I think I'd have to see it a couple more times to fully understand its message. Plus it was just very entertaining and exciting! Smile
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sat 19 Aug, 2006 09:55 pm
I loved this movie.

I think, alot of people could not really swallow it because it depicted someone whom society would be charged to hate, as a pretty good person.
Very intelligent , considerate ( at times) and down to earth.

Things noone wants to associate with a villian.

His character poked real holes into inages, stories and situations in society ,and made people think in a very REAL way that made them uncomfortable.

though, some people may have just not liked it all around, but i have noticed alot of the people I hear from that did not like the movie, are only complaining about the " bad government" in the movie, Not about how well or bad it was written,the acting,the settings.. ... nothing like that. So my opinion is a bit one sided.
0 Replies

J-B

Reply Sun 20 Aug, 2006 02:45 am
Many said: Where if there is always US or UK to be an authoritarian regime or, "forget this Hollywood lefty crap, you forget Stalin? Mao? Castro?"

I just don't think it's relevent.
0 Replies

J-B

Reply Sun 20 Aug, 2006 02:50 am
Quote:
I think, alot of people could not really swallow it because it depicted someone whom society would be charged to hate, as a pretty good person.
Very intelligent , considerate ( at times) and down to earth.

His hatred derived from the hatred of the state. He might be only a terrorist if justice is still there, but if a terrorist can ever muster people to rebel, he will be a hero, a George-Washington-like great man.
About his hatred, I think in some fleeting scences and conversations that V admitted he didn't like it, but he simply couldnn't get out of it. He was a hero, but also a tragic one.
If this character should be remembered, both his heroic and tragic sides should be remebered at the same time.
0 Replies

J-B

Reply Sun 20 Aug, 2006 02:56 am
Quote:

Creedy: Die! Die! Why won't you die?... Why won't you die?
V: Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr. Creedy, and ideas are bulletproof.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 20 Aug, 2006 05:32 am
Re: What do you think of V For Vendetta?
Quote:
This is an awful film for these reasons:

1) No one asked for it.

not true, many who read the comic book series it is based on wanted this movie made for years, they got about half their wish, this movie is only marginally the comic book story (more on that later)

2) The "hero" is a terrorist.

i'd claim the "terrorist" is a hero, he's doing what he does for the good of everyone, not just one group or idea, there is a definite revenge for wrongs done to him personally, but the greater picture is a benefit to all society

3) He wears a silly mask.

it's a guy fawkes effigy, it couldn't be any less silly

4) It is an awful film.

well that's one oppinion

5) This is not a moral film.

interesting, in what way is it not moral, in that the government arrested and killed gays, people of color, and ethnic minority, very true, also not very moral for a government to fake a terrorist attack so they can enslave a nation under martial law

as for V, revenge killings are a gray area on the morality scale in my estimation

6) It is bigoted against people of faith.

and many times people of faith are bigots against others

7) It is not a good film.

again one oppinion among many

0 Replies

J-B

Reply Mon 21 Aug, 2006 02:36 am
Thanks for that post, djjd Smile

Tell me, do you and the countrymen you know mind your own country being portrayed as a haven of dictators with iconary House of Parliament blown up? (I don't quite think so...)
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Mon 21 Aug, 2006 03:52 am
It was rubbish.I wanted to like it coz I like Natalie portman and Syephen Fry but I can remember being very dissapointed at the end.

I go the impression it was an attack on the English Government, which was supposed to represent what us English folk feel about eh Government but I dont think we wnat it blown up.
I think it was just an excuse to show Westminster Palace being blown up as a grand finale to the film.
I love that building, its magnificent.
0 Replies

najmelliw

Reply Mon 21 Aug, 2006 05:26 am
Didn't see the movie, never read the comic, but followed online debates regarding this flick with interest, figuring it would evoke extreme reactions.
It did.

Let me just say I am strongly biased to like this movie given the premises. Everybody loves Robin Hood, of course. That is the funny part, because, it's basically the same premises, if bleaker. A wronged hero, branded outlaw by those in charge of the country, fighting for good.
But then again, regarding Robin Hood, most people take comfort that 'scoiety has surely evolved from those barbarous times'. And that 'such circumstances and practices can no longer take place in todays society.'
But V for Vendetta gives an almost extreme Orwellian view of the future. A future where this grim Robin Hood figure, is indeed the most vocal and effective protest against a totalitarian government. A future we in todays society can much more easily identify ourselves with.

I can understand why people don't like it instinctively, however. First, your sympathies as a viewer are forced towards V, who, however, uses tactics we are taught to abhor. And, if this setting was to be projected to modern day society, the audience would be part of the unvocal,silent majority, the cattle. Hard to swallow, I think.

najmelliw
0 Replies

J-B

Reply Tue 22 Aug, 2006 05:17 am
najmelliw wrote:
I can understand why people don't like it instinctively, however. First, your sympathies as a viewer are forced towards V, who, however, uses tactics we are taught to abhor. And, if this setting was to be projected to modern day society, the audience would be part of the unvocal,silent majority, the cattle. Hard to swallow, I think.

Great thinking Smile

btw, is the sixth layer of hell that of Divina Comedia?
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Thu 24 Aug, 2006 03:23 pm
The movie is a narrow-minded piece of... work. Since when are conservatives the equivalent of evil? Why is V portrayed as a hero? Why is he portrayed as logical when his reason for torturing Evey is an illogical rationalization? What's up with the ending?

I do not like this movie. On the other hand, I can see how people who likes action or fireworks would like it. The storytelling is good, but the plot/script is...
0 Replies

najmelliw

Reply Thu 24 Aug, 2006 04:48 pm
Read the other comments Ray... The government is not just conservative... it's totalitarian at best, and fascist at it's most worse interpretation.

The sixth layer of hell is indeed partly derived from the Divina Comedia, JB
0 Replies

crazygrl13

Reply Thu 24 Aug, 2006 04:52 pm
what are you guys talking about?
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Thu 24 Aug, 2006 05:21 pm
Quote:
what are you guys talking about?

The nature of the plot.

Quote:
Read the other comments Ray... The government is not just conservative... it's totalitarian at best, and fascist at it's most worse interpretation

There was a part where a character (forgot who) mentioned that the conservative took over the government. I think that's clearly equating conservatism with fascism.

When I was watching the movie, I see a guy who is clearly insane portrayed as a sane man, a tragic hero portrayed as a hero of the people. What is his plan exactly, blow up the parliament, a symbol of democratic procedures (in England), assasinate government members even if they have no recent political influence (the doctor), force people to a certain viewpoint (Evey), and create anarchy? He mentions that then it's the people's choice, but is it really as simple as that? Nothing in reality seems as simple as what the movie portrays.

I've seen comments on this movie praising it for political insights. There is no political insight, only oversimplification. The movie does not address the complexity of a coup d'etat. The government is overthrown. Fireworks. The evil is rooted out right? Not necessarily. No structure means it's easier for worse people to take over government. Simplicity is sometimes worse than complexity.

I'm sorry but I do not like this movie. I respect that you find something in the movie that makes it likeable, but to me, overall, I cannot see this as a worthwhile movie, not when it takes itself so seriously.

BTW, don't you also find the ending incredibly unbelievable?
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Thu 24 Aug, 2006 06:27 pm
Ray wrote:
BTW, don't you also find the ending incredibly unbelievable?

in what way, elaborate
0 Replies

J-B

Reply Fri 25 Aug, 2006 03:37 am
Quote:
He mentions that then it's the people's choice, but is it really as simple as that? Nothing in reality seems as simple as what the movie portrays.

Quote:
I've seen comments on this movie praising it for political insights. There is no political insight, only oversimplification. The movie does not address the complexity of a coup d'etat. The government is overthrown. Fireworks. The evil is rooted out right? Not necessarily. No structure means it's easier for worse people to take over government. Simplicity is sometimes worse than complexity.

They are all undeniably true, Ray

And it's clear you are very accustomed to thinking deeply and making balances and structuring the beauty of complexity.
That's a very precious strait which most people lack.

But what comes to this movie then? Should there be a televised debate between V and Sutler, in which Sutler finally pointed out and convinced his people that this narrow-minded "terrorist" was wrong, he was who would created chaos, who would ultimately cause greater suffering than admittedly Sutler himself had?

Truth is what as you said, this movie is quite simple without much depth. Black (authority) vs White (individual with hate).
But this movie is just what it is. It's an action movie "with political insights" (Yes it is! It's the most political one of all the action movies I have watched so far, and I think that what "with political insights" means) It's not supposed to a very grim and very full scanning of politics and revolutionary ideas. I think when Henry Patrick passionately stated that endurable motto "Live free, or Die!", it's not logic that really matters, but passion, passion for freedom, for justice, even with extreme means, if there is extreme condition. And that's IMO the real thing that people like in this movie.

And, no need to state further, this movie is fictional. It didn't really intend to criticise anyone in the real life. Because just as you said, it was too simple. It's only a wild and serious try of imagination. And it's up to viewers to make up the rest.

To appeal to common people, stir common people's spirits, and in the meantime leads people to think and debate some really precious issues --- Is what I think, this movie's biggest achievement. Rare movies of our age have made this.

At last: the last scene of the movie is truely "incredibly unbelievable", once the logical side of me turns out to begin questioning.
But, in the meantime, don't you feel that, it is very beautiful? As I said, that scene, with fireworks spiraling, people staring with hope, Evey talked about V with crystal tears and fragile voice, that image, without regards to anything aside, simply that single image: Isn't that beautiful?
But maybe you still cannot feel.

JB, with sincerity and respect.
0 Replies

J-B

Reply Fri 25 Aug, 2006 03:40 am
Quote:

Finch: Who was he?

Evey: He was Edmund Dantes.
He is my father, my mother
My brother.
He is you,
(a light sobbing)
And me.
He is all of us.
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Fri 25 Aug, 2006 09:15 pm
Okay JB, I'll pipe down. I just think that this movie takes itself too seriously, and it sends a signal when I read comments of people like the movie for its political depth...
0 Replies