The Connection: "Boyz N the Hood" & Cigarettes

coberst

Reply Sat 19 Aug, 2006 04:57 am
What is the connection among these three situations? The connection is that throughout our society we face multiple ills that are not a result of sun shine and rain like the daises growing in the field but do result from the decisions made by people who have the power to dictate public policy.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 512 • Replies: 9
No top replies

stuh505

Reply Sat 19 Aug, 2006 07:11 am
Quote:
I am convinced my analysis is correct. Do you have the detective skills necessary in order to comprehend my insight?

Oh wise one, reveal unto me the path to enlightenment...
0 Replies

coberst

Reply Sat 19 Aug, 2006 08:29 am
stuh505 wrote:
Quote:
I am convinced my analysis is correct. Do you have the detective skills necessary in order to comprehend my insight?

Oh wise one, reveal unto me the path to enlightenment...

So you have finally discovered my identity.

In the role as Dutch Uncle Fishbourn indicates the belief that the powerful who shape public policy keep the black neighborhoods well supplied with booze and guns with the hope that the black community will self-destruct.

These powerful groups who control and shape this policy for that community are the same groups that have supplied the whole population with cigarettes and lies not to destroy but for profit.
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Sat 19 Aug, 2006 09:01 am
While your specific examples are probably wrong, it is no secret that the american government & big business is completely corrupt in many, many ways...Duh!
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 21 Aug, 2006 07:17 am
That is an inevitable situation given all the circumstances.

In view of the luxury lifestyles most of us lead compared to those of not so long ago one ought to hesitate in criticising and especially when not offering alternatives.

Chuck wrote-

Quote:
And they will continue to go on until the citizens awaken and begin to comprehend reality beyond its exposed face.

That's a self-serving assertion. How do you know the citizens are asleep?
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Thu 24 Aug, 2006 10:04 pm
It seems premature to call this "detective work," which involves looking at facts, data and evidence. Without those things, what you've given is a prognosis, not an analysis. It's the difference between consulting Joe Friday or Dionne Warwick to solve a crime.
0 Replies

coberst

Reply Fri 25 Aug, 2006 03:10 am
Bullfight would be a good analogy for the present non consciousness of the population.

The Matador does not allow the bull, i.e. the people, to see anything but the cape. A wiggle here and a wiggle there is sufficient to cause the bull to strike at the air rather than the Matador. The bull is very strong but lacks enlightenment.
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Sat 26 Aug, 2006 10:47 pm
Nice imagery, but I think Spendius's question (and mine) was what phenomena have you observed to lead you to believe that citizens are asleep. I think we'd all be interested to know.
0 Replies

coberst

Reply Sun 27 Aug, 2006 05:34 am
I browse the Internet discussion forums a lot and everything I observe indicates that citizens are slumbering. You need only see who the US has elected as president to conclude people are asleep or that they lack the judgment skills of a good citizen. I watch C-Span a lot and it is evident constantly when people call in and give their opinions. I read numerious newspapers and magazines which are flled with such evidence. And, of course, TV is a virtual institution that is chosen by slumbering intellects.
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Sun 27 Aug, 2006 04:30 pm
Quote:
You need only see who the US has elected as president to conclude people are asleep or that they lack the judgment skills of a good citizen.

It is disappointing to me as well. But I am heartened by the number of people who are just as likely to voice the same complaints. They're all over the internet forums as well--even a brief stroll through A2K will show them in multitudes--and to the extent that internet forums are a measure of the average citizen (which of course it isn't), I take it as a good a sign. Bush's polls are at an all-time low, which I also take as an indication that not everyone is asleep.
0 Replies