What was your 1st post and who replied?

Noddy24

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 11:55 am
Sozobe greeted me with her usual enthusiasm and I was followed on the thread by Osso Buco making her first A2K post.

I also remember a welcoming PM from Phoenix.
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 11:58 am
I remember telling Mac11 that it was 'still raining in Manchester' ???? Laughing

...it's STILL raining in manchester!

x
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 12:01 pm
Thanks for the technique, Soz. I had earlier tried to find my first post by clicking on the "Your Posts" rubric, but got no data on the earliest pages.

This is my first post:

Setanta wrote:
I've chosen Pearl

Harbor, but with reservations. The event known now as "9/11" is too recent to qualify as history in any analytic sense. Too

little is known about the event--which is not to say the separate attacks and their physical aftermath, but rather about is

effects, whether short- or long-term. I've chosen Pearl Harbor because is did not simply pull America out of it's

isolationism, but catapulted a generation onto the world "stage" with a vengeance. More than 15 million Americans served

between 1941 and 1945 (ten per cent of the population of the United States in 1941), more than half a million died in that

war, and the United States was not simply awakened from an isolationist slumber, but became an imperial power in every sense

of the term. Although imperial in it's world position since 1898, most Americans continued to inhabit the "cloud cuckoo

land" of isolationism. World War II would not allow the Americans to remain in that state.

Although i believe that

most Americans had sense enough to know that we are hated by the fanatics of the muslim world, i think the biggest complaint

which will emerge over time is the somnulence of the government. I personally dislike the Cheney administration and it's

empty-suit front man, the Shrub--but not all of the blame can be laid at the door of of Papa Bush's administration redux,

which is what we've got for an executive right now (Cheney, formerly at Defense, is now the Veep, and Rumsfeld is now at

Defense--shades of "Desert Storm!"). Our security agencies don't deserve the name, they were caught completely flat-footed,

and heads ought to have rolled for this one.

How much of a defining moment "9/11" will have proven to be cannot, in my

opinion, be judged at this time--but i feel the repercussions should, and i hope that they will, be laid at the door of a too

complacent government.

okseeyahbye

S

I have no idea why the text is broken up like that, but if you look at the thread, all the posts are like that.

The thread was one started by CdK: Which was a more defining moment in U.S. History, 9/11 or . . .
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 12:10 pm
an inconsequential post in Welcome to the New Members! and dagmaraka gave me a nice welcome. Smile
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 12:15 pm
I have no idea...how would I go about finding it?
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 12:24 pm
Is This It, Bella?
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 12:26 pm
I haven't the slightest clue...I've posted so many times since, I have no recollection of which was the first.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 12:27 pm
Did you click on my link, bella?
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 12:31 pm
It was this post from 2003, and no one replied:

Brandon9000 wrote:
A decade or two before the Revolutionary War, the colonists, and occasionally British troops, attempted to expel the French from a series of forts they built in Ohio. The American efforts were not well managed and were continually hampered by the failure of locally purchased supplies to arrive. I believe that the soldiers were all or mostly volunteers. Both sides enlisted Indians to fight with them. Discipline was generally poor, and the American soldiers would often run for their lives at some point during a battle. Sorry, but that's the truth. Washington had to work very hard to get the men trained properly. One great diffuculty was that the Americans, and more particularly the British, insisted on fighting in formation, which was virtual suicide against French/Indians fighting from concealment. For much of the conflict, Washington had the rank of Colonel, and, at one point, was in charge of about a thousand men.
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 12:32 pm
Bella,

go to search page
enter bella dea (or anyone else) as Author
click Display results as Posts
click Search
click on the last page displayed

in your case, that would be
http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=768334&highlight=#768334
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 12:35 pm
My first post was to a guy looking for information about William the Conqueror in History. I lurked for a long time (at least a year) and eventually posted something in history and books. Francis (who joined about the same time I did) was the first to respond with a little chat.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 12:38 pm
Thanks Yitwall!

I guess NickFun welcomed me!
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 12:42 pm
My first post was in the English sub, where an ESL student had a
question

Quote:
I am leaving town on Sunday

(I am leavingt to town on Sunday is wrong as "to" is a preposition
and not used before a noun.)

Mr. (Max) I presume.

("presume" is stronger. You'll know it's true without proof though.)

No one replied! I stayed anyway Mr. Green
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 12:45 pm
http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=67&highlight=#67

Quote:
Koyaanisqatsi is a twenty year old movie that is being released on DVD on September 17th. The title means "life out of balance" in Hopi.

It has no explicit plot (although there is an implicit message in the film), and no dialogue. It is a stunning montage of natural and man made scenes. The music that accompanies the film is by Philip Glass.

If the techs have done well with this flick, it ought to be spectacular on DVD!

Phoenix Surprised

Craven, Lightwizard and Merry Andrew answered the original question.

Another interesting thing. I didn't write in green at that time. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 12:53 pm
Bella Dea wrote:
Thanks Yitwall!

no prob, but you used to be/still are Kristie? Confused
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 12:53 pm
BTW, I found this one from October 2002. Do you know that I am STILL bitching and griping about this situation!!!

Quote:
O.K. This is a

little off the topic, but I have a big beef with the guys who fill up the soda (yes, that is what I call it) machines. I

don't want the empty calories of a regular soda, so I prefer the diet. I am very sensitive to caffeine, so most regular cola

drinks are out of the question.

So why is it that I can very rarely find a caffeine free diet soda in a machine?

There can be multiples of coke, even caffeine free coke, and regular Sprite, but rarely can you find a diet Sprite or a

caffeine free diet Coke in a soda machine. I protest!
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 01:00 pm
yitwail wrote:
Bella Dea wrote:
Thanks Yitwall!

no prob, but you used to be/still are Kristie? Confused

Yes sir.
Very Happy
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 01:02 pm
My first post was a response to Cyclops, in the "Is Kerry in bed with Iranian hardliners?" thread, and was responded to by FreeDuck:

Ticomaya wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
CNS news is an organization run by some very partisan conservatives, and is known to completely fabricate stories.

So take it with a grain of salt.

Couldn't the same be said about the NY Times?

And isn't Kerry's plan with regard to Iran's nuclear capabilities (declined by Iran already), very similar to Clinton's approach to N. Korea?

And, hi, this is my first post. Very Happy

FreeDuck wrote:
Welcome Ticomaya.

To answer your question, no, the same could not be said about the NY Times.

In case anyone was wondering about Bush's position on Iran.... http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=35912

Not much has changed since then. Laughing
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 01:04 pm
bella,

Do you remember the sig line you had when you were Kristie? (at the time it was my favorite A2K sig line)
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 01:38 pm
can anyone imagine gustavratzenhofer responding to someone's first post?

i saw gustav surprise a newbie by giving her advice on sex. the newbie responded: "you really do live in a swamp!" Smile
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/30/2024 at 09:41:21