Switching to Internet Explorer from AOL

Reply Sat 31 May, 2003 02:07 pm
I've been a busy computer user for 5 years now, and I've gotten myself totally tangled up. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

I have always used AOL. I now have MSN on my computer, but would like to access Internet Explorer without going through the extra (?) step of MSN>IE. Is this possible? Also, is there some reason why Outlook won't send/receive AOL email?

If I could just figure out how to access IE directly, then I'd get rid of AOL.
Can this be done? I'm beginning to go nuts with this problem.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,407 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 31 May, 2003 05:12 pm
Tom,

you have a few things confused here.

IE is a browser. Read: a program not an Internet Service Provider

MSN is an ISP

AOL is an ISP

Both MSN and AOL have custom browsers. AOL's is Netscape crucified and MSN's is just IE with MSN buttons.

If you want to use just IE get a decent ISP. An ISP like AOL that forces you to use their software is horrible. An ISP should just provide the connection and allow you to use what programs you desire.

AOL is the type of ISP who tried to keep you by making you dependant on their software (which is among the worst on earth).

The reason you can't use Outlook with AOL is because they don't allow it. They force you to use AOL mail so that you won't want to switch ISPs.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Sat 31 May, 2003 05:25 pm
Switching to IE
So, i other words, I have to deal with MSN (or some other browser) to use IE. And if I give up AOL, my email would come via MSN. Or whatever browser I would choose instead.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 31 May, 2003 06:03 pm
No no.

IE is a browser. MSN is an ISP that uses a modified version of IE as the MSN browser.

If you give up AOL, you should choose an ISP that does not require you to use ANY of their software.

Then you can choose any browser you want.

As to email you should choose an ISP that gives you webmail access (this means you would get it through your browser) AS WELL AS POP access (which means you can use Outlook or another mail reader).
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Sat 31 May, 2003 06:56 pm
Switching from AOL to IE
Told you I was confused.
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2003 05:55 am
Although you can use IE with AOL...
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2003 05:58 am
Switching from AOL
I'm tired of AOL's constant freezes.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2003 09:02 am
Tom, have you looked into AT & T Broadband Internet (they're changing to Comcast)? It's available (I use it, and I live in the same area that you do) and fast because it's a cable modem and not dial-up.

To give you an idea of how it works.

* My browser is Internet Explorer but I could use Netscape or Opera if I preferred, in order to surf the Internet.
* My mail comes through a program called Outlook Express but I could use Outlook if I wished, or any other mail-reading program.
* My mail can also be read online at the comcast site if I am having problems with Outlook or if I'm away from my computer.
* I can use Popmail which is a means of having other mail come through Outlook Express. This is how I get your Able2Know Support questions - through Popmail on my Outlook Express.
* I get the bill for Internet access with my cable bill (same bill).
* I no longer need a second phone line (no busy signals).
* Installation took maybe 2 hours. They came when I asked them to, but keep in mind this was under AT & T Broadband and now they are under Comcast so management may be slightly different.
* I can pay my bills online if I wish.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2003 10:12 am
Switching from AOL
Jespah - The exact place where I live seems to be a dead spot for broadband. So far people haven't had much if any luck with it. Anyway, I'm happy with dialup - I don't need the extra speed; I'm not using the computer for heavy downloads, for example. However, I'm going to keep an eye on broadband just on principle.
0 Replies

Banned Wagon

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2005 09:46 am
Try switching to Firefox instead of IE. It really is preference, however, so I suggest trying both and seeing what one you like better before picking what browser to use.
0 Replies