Anyone want a free diabetic cat?

kickycan

Reply Wed 13 Sep, 2006 08:16 pm
Okay, now I've read your post, littlek, and thank you. Has anyone told you lately that you are a wealth of information?

I will try the non-clumping litter. Nothing I'm doing so far has worked at all, so hell, why not? I'm pissed about the clumps in his paws because that **** gets EVERYWHERE! I'm sick of jumping in bed and landing in cat litter crumbs. I'm sick of sweeping that **** up. Plus, I can see that his back paw is sliding on the hardwood floors because the litter is caked in between his paws. He walks like he's drunk already, and I don't think this is going to help his back legs get better at all.

Okay, now on to my work annoyance.

Long hours is part of the deal when you are in the printing business. It is pretty much expected that you will work late hours when necessary. It doesn't happen all the time, but especially as a freelancer I pretty much feel like I have to do it when it comes up. I and the other freelance people at this place have been hired to help them during their busiest time of year. They have basically doubled their production staff for this period, and they don't want people who give excuses like, "I have to leave now because my cat needs his insulin shot." Ha! I can just imagine the reaction I'd get if I actually said something like that.

Anyway, I'm much more calm now. I don't want to kill Rocky anymore, or anyone else for that matter. This is just turning out to be a very annoying week for me. Hopefully tomorrow will be better.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 13 Sep, 2006 08:18 pm
HaHA! Now it's THIRTEEN pages, Stray Cat!
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Wed 13 Sep, 2006 08:23 pm
Look! I found this on the petco site. It's a product called Tidy Cat. It's non-clumping and has long lasting odor control. (I hope the image I posted turns out right.)

Hope this helps you out!

http://www.petco.com/Assets/product_images/7/7023010744B.jpg
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Wed 13 Sep, 2006 08:24 pm
Hurrah! You can see it! Power to Tidy Cat!
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 13 Sep, 2006 08:24 pm
Something occurred to me Kicky - and it might be a long shot (no pun intended), but I remember the York Animal Medical Center having a visiting nurse service. Yup, just for critters. When little old ladies or cranky graphic artists could not administer shots, or give fluid drips or whatever they could schedule someone to do a home visit. I don't know if they still do this or what they charge, but you could ask and also inquire about a diabetic cat support group.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 13 Sep, 2006 08:27 pm
But I don't WANNA go to a diabetic cat support group! Waaaaahhhh!!!!
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 13 Sep, 2006 08:28 pm
Tidy Cat. Thanks Stray Cat, I'll think about that brand. I'm sure I'll just end up getting whatever they have at the nearest Duane Reade though.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 13 Sep, 2006 08:31 pm
kickycan wrote:
But I don't WANNA go to a diabetic cat support group! Waaaaahhhh!!!!

I bet it's mostly women.
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Wed 13 Sep, 2006 08:37 pm
Quote:
It is pretty much expected that you will work late hours when necessary.

Yeah, we have an extensive database system where I work. In exactly two weeks, we're going to be switching over to a new system.

That means we have to have training sessions throughout the week, for the next couple of weeks -- while still expected to keep up with our normal workload (which is a lot!).

So I hear you about the long hours.

It's amazing what we do to earn a living, isn't it?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 13 Sep, 2006 09:02 pm
Greenwitch - that is brilliant and likely entirely true. Just think of the adoring women kicky could have falling all over his kind-to-animals ass.

The cheap cat litters are pretty much non-clumping, I think. It's the old standard. CLUMPING litter is a recently marketed style (I think).
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 13 Sep, 2006 09:04 pm
Glad you're calmer and Rocky is safer. I have to go crawl to bed. Gnight all.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 29 Sep, 2006 07:19 pm
.....so.....? How's Rocky?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 29 Sep, 2006 07:33 pm
Yes, thanks, I've been curious.
0 Replies

dcohn99

Reply Wed 22 Nov, 2006 12:16 am
Diabetic cat need not have any seizures EVER
You do not have such a problem STOP FEEDING DRY FOOD TO YOUR CAT. That will end his problem with EVER getting a seizure. I PROMISE YOU. The dry food is just so bad for a cat it is what causes the diabetes. Many gets get cured just from chaging diet. Just feed CANNED WET Food like Fancy feast.

It really really works. I have 4 cats and all are well. I give insulin but never do I worry about seizure. KARO syrup is posion to a cat. NEVER give them that stuff.

Go here http://www.yourdiabeticcat.com and click on the forum link after reading the info. The people there will help you learn how easy it is to care for your cat. TRUST ME it will be simple and he will live.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 22 Nov, 2006 09:56 pm
sweetiepie, you know you need to weigh your options......
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 28 Nov, 2006 11:36 am
To answer littlek and Soz:

He's okay, sort of. He's still walking like he's drunk, because of the weak back legs, and he has diarrhea-ish crap most of the time. He still pees a lot, and lately he's been eating a lot more for some reason. He does seem to be a little bit more playful though. He's up to three units of insulin per shot, twice a day. The last glucose tests showed that he's still a little bit above the normal range, but now that I'm giving him three units instead of two, I think he's pretty much where he should be.

I have heard from more than one person that dry food is bad, and I probably should change to a different food, but I'm feeding him the prescription dry food that my vet gave me.

On the plus side, my friend (littlek, you might remember him--he was on A2K once for a little while--"jaypeedee") has offered to watch him and give him the shots whenever I need him to. The problem is that he doesn't live very close, and I feel bad about inconveniencing him. But he did watch him over Thanksgiving, and everything went fine. He will also be watching him over Christmas, when I will be gone for another few days.

After the new year, I'm going to have to re-assess this situation. I'm going broke over this f---ing cat, and I still hate having to give him a shot every twelve hours. It's way too confining for me. I feel trapped.

But for now, things are copacetic, more or less.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 28 Nov, 2006 11:39 am
Hey, thanks for the update.

And yay for jaypeedee! Always knew I liked that guy.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 22 May, 2007 06:19 pm
Rocky Update:

I love this f*cking cat!

To those who said it is worth it to go through the whole mess of getting him regulated and not giving him away or putting him to sleep, you were sooooo right. Somehow going through all this crap has really given me a stronger appreciation for the little guy. I look at him when he's sleeping sometimes and get sad thinking about what the hell I'm going to do without him when he actually does finally go. But I hope that isn't for a long time.

And as for his health, I think he's actually gotten a little better! His legs don't seem to be as weak as they were, although they aren't totally back to normal strength, and he is playful and fun like he used to be again! Cute little bastard!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 22 May, 2007 06:24 pm
Schniff, ooooooh, good to hear.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 22 May, 2007 06:48 pm
Thanks, Osso. Smile

Wow, first I write about me deep feelings for my cat, and now I'm using emoticons. Am I turning gay? Shocked

I need to do something manly, fast.

<Angrily tosses Bette Midler's greatest hits CD out the window>
0 Replies