Anyone want a free diabetic cat?

Tico

Reply Tue 29 Aug, 2006 07:42 pm
*fingers crossed*
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 29 Aug, 2006 08:38 pm
Oooohhhh..... an aunt! That'd be perfect. Could you offer to help pay for the meds?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 29 Aug, 2006 08:42 pm
Aunts are wonderful (waving), but may not want to be imposed on.
So... I am hoping this aunt ...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 29 Aug, 2006 08:46 pm
Oh, hey, treat her to a trip to italy...
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 1 Sep, 2006 03:33 pm
I just got back from the vet, where Rocky had a check-up. His sugar is still high, so now I'm going up to 2 units per shot, twice a day.

Oh, and when I asked my vet about the possibility of my finding someone to adopt the cat, she basically looked at me as if I'd asked her where I could get some plutonium. And that aunt that I mentioned? From what my mother tells me, it looks like that's a real longshot. Highly doubtful.

I wrote a whole long whine about this and other things Rocky-related, but now that I've had time to think about it, I've decided to edit all that vile **** out. I take it all back. Everything's fine. This whole thing sucks, but it will work out somehow.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 1 Sep, 2006 06:17 pm
Well, kicky, you could go to a country vet - country vets treat pets a little more like livestock or working animals than kids. Most city vets almost think of cats as fuzzy little kids. have you looked into other NYers who have diabetic cats who would help you by giving shots at your home so you can maintain your tomcat lifestyle?
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Fri 1 Sep, 2006 06:37 pm
Quote:
but it will work out somehow.

Yeah, sorry about your trip to California -- but you heart NY!

It's tough taking care of a sick animal. Poor little guy can't help it, but still. I feel sorry for both of you.

Kicky, you've given your cat a good home -- and I'm sure you've been a conscientious pet owner -- for many years. But as Osso pointed out, everyone's situation is different -- and everyone has their limits.

That whole thing with the shots every twelve hours adds another complicated wrinkle. It wouldn't be so bad if you only had to do it once a day.

But it's especially hard when you have a full-time job, and no family around to help out at all. It's not the sort of thing you could ask a friend. Most people would be pretty nervous about giving a shot to an animal they're not familiar with.

And of course, the expense...

I agree with Green Witch. I think it might be kind of rough for him to be in a shelter where he might spend a lot of time in a cage, with little chance for adoption.

If you can find a good home for him -- or a decent shelter -- that's wonderful. (I hope your aunt comes through!)

But if not, and if you have to face the possibility of putting him down, just remember that you did the best you could, Kicky. I'm sure you've been willing to do anything within reason. That's the important thing.

If it comes to that, just talk to your vet about it, and tell her about the situation like you've done here.

Hang in there! :wink:
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 1 Sep, 2006 06:52 pm
The last scene in the movie Hard Times, starring Charles Bronson, Strother Martin, and James Coburn has Martin and Coburn sitting in a car after Bronson has decided to head north.

They talk a little bit about their plans, then Martin leans toward Coburn and says, "Let's go get the cat."

One hell of a movie.
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Fri 1 Sep, 2006 06:59 pm
The hell?
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 1 Sep, 2006 07:05 pm
I like the way you talk, Stray Cat.
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Fri 1 Sep, 2006 07:22 pm
Same here, Gus! Laughing
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 1 Sep, 2006 07:32 pm
littlek wrote:
Well, kicky, you could go to a country vet - country vets treat pets a little more like livestock or working animals than kids. Most city vets almost think of cats as fuzzy little kids.

I'm not sure what you mean. You mean for me to talk to a country vet about finding someone to take him? Or to take Rocky to one? The logistics of taking him outside the city...I don't even see how I could do that. He doesn't travel well at all

littlek wrote:
have you looked into other NYers who have diabetic cats who would help you by giving shots at your home so you can maintain your tomcat lifestyle?

That sounds like good advice. Haven't gotten to that point yet. I don't know if I'd be very comfortable with that situation, to tell you the truth, but I guess I should look into it at least.

Okay, now I'm going to the fridge for a cold one. I've just decided that just for tonight, the answer to all my cat troubles is going to be...BEER.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 1 Sep, 2006 07:40 pm
Damn, Stray Cat, what you wrote was really nice. Thanks.

and for the record, I don't know what the hell Gus is talking about either. Maybe I'll go look it up on Youtube.com

But like I said above, "BEER."
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 1 Sep, 2006 09:38 pm
well, kicky, I was suggesting (totally against my own personal judgement) that if you really wanted a vet to put Rocky down, you should try a country vet.

What about having another sugarcat owner help you with your cat makes you uncomfortable? I ask as someone who has not taken up an offer from another sugarcat owner. Perhaps you should offer pay (not much) and tell them the deal isn't reciprocal (you won't shoot their cat).
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Sun 3 Sep, 2006 06:52 pm
Hey, kicky....I've got an i-dee.

Now that you're giving Rocky a stronger dosage of insulin, maybe he'll start to get better. Maybe in a couple of months, he'll be able to stop the out of control urinating and the messes.

If that happens, would your aunt mind taking care of him for a couple of weeks while you go on vacation? I would tell her that you've been working hard, and you'd really appreciate having a chance to take a break. Let her know that Rocky's doing better, but you need someone who likes cats and wouldn't mind giving him his meds -- for just a couple weeks... (I would stress that part.)

That would give your aunt a chance to see exactly what's involved in taking care of him. It would also give her a chance to bond with the cute little guy....and who knows? She might decide she wouldn't mind keeping him after all.

It might be a long shot, but at least you'd be able to take your trip to California. You could see a lot of California in a couple of weeks. It might even be better to visit California in the autumn or winter. The weather would be great there that time of year!
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 5 Sep, 2006 09:45 am
littlek, the discomfort comes in letting some stranger come into my apartment. I don't really want to have to deal with that. But we'll see. I don't know. Oh, and about euthanasia...don't really want to think about that option yet.

Stray Cat, that would be a great idea, but my aunt lives in Rochester. That would mean I'd have to rent a car or something and drive him all the way up there, and then pick him up and drive him all the way back after I returned. A month ago, I might have considered it, but everything's changed now. He is totally terrified just going the seven blocks to the vet each time now. I think it would be too much trauma for him in his fragile state to go back and forth again like that.

Thanks though.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Tue 5 Sep, 2006 09:50 am
now what could I do with an 11 year old diabetic cat?

no idea.

put him in a box and send him over here, I will have figurred it out by the time he gets here.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 5 Sep, 2006 12:42 pm
Okay, I packed him in a box and just shipped him off, via FedEx. You should recieve him within the next couple days. He may have pissed and **** all over himself in transit, so be ready with some kind of wiping implements.

And thanks!
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Tue 5 Sep, 2006 01:00 pm
Kickythistlecan wrote:
Oh, and about euthanasia...don't really want to think about that option yet.

I'm glad you're trying to work out something better for Rocky. I'm pulling for you both...

There is a petsitter in my area who is a veterinary assistant and so is trained in giving meds, shots, etc. I don't think that's uncommon at all to find petsitters who do meds. And a lot of times they're students or something and they don't charge very much.

I know that doesn't quite get away from the stranger-in-your-house thing, but maybe you'd feel a bit more comfortable with someone like that, who's doing it as a job and wants to keep a good reputation (therefore won't be trying on clients' clothes or anything). Good petsitters have references too, so you can find out from others if they are trustworthy, not weirdos, etc. Maybe someone's already suggested this and I missed it though.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Tue 5 Sep, 2006 02:06 pm
thanks kicky

i appreciate transcontinental incontinent kitty, kicky

will look after him well
0 Replies