Anyone want a free diabetic cat?

Green Witch

Reply Tue 5 Sep, 2006 04:49 pm
I probably missed a few pages on this thread, but have you looked into groups that do diabetic cat rescue:
Diabetic Cat Rescue
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 5 Sep, 2006 05:33 pm
I've called a whole bunch of places in and around NYC, but that one looks good too, so thanks. I will definitely check it out.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 5 Sep, 2006 08:00 pm
Having schedule glitches never really ends.... after years of having a late start-of-day, I will be having to leave my house at 7:30 a.m. when I go to work at the school. The cat's being shot, currently at around 10:30. I have to make a major shift....... I had the shift all planned out, but got to thinking about something around shootin' time and messed up the schedule for tomorrow a.m. My sis will come shoot him in the morning. I am lucky to be conveniently located a block from her work place.
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2006 06:07 pm
Quote:
He is totally terrified just going the seven blocks to the vet each time now. I think it would be too much trauma for him in his fragile state to go back and forth again like that.

Yeah, well, cats are basically homebodies. They don't enjoy going visiting the way dogs do. They don't relish sticking their head out the car window. They just seem to find the whole thing annoying.

My cat never enjoyed visiting much either, and when I took him to the vet, they pretty much had to pry him off me. So I understand.

I hope he starts getting stronger and feeling better soon.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2006 08:17 pm
Before screech was diabetic, he hated the car. Now he tolerates it. He goes to the vet, but he also goes to cape cod with me and he loves that house.
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Mon 11 Sep, 2006 04:29 pm
Hmmm......maybe Screech should have a talk with Rocky?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 11 Sep, 2006 05:24 pm
If only that would help. I wish that Rocky should have a talk with Kicky.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Mon 11 Sep, 2006 05:28 pm
Maybe Rocky and littlek could have a talk, and Rocky could convince littlek that she absolutely adores him, and that he should come and live out his days with her and Screech!

Man, would that be cool.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 11 Sep, 2006 05:29 pm
Cha! And you'd pay me the 120 bucks per month and vet bills for the rest of his life? I can barely afford my own cat. Actually, I can't afford my own cat.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Mon 11 Sep, 2006 05:31 pm
Well...crap, I don't have a solution for that. I'll see if I can get Rocky to learn how to type--maybe he could be a court stenographer or get some temp work as a secretary or something...
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 11 Sep, 2006 05:42 pm
kicky, do you have any honey/corn syrup at the house? At some point, Rocky's BG will level out and you will want to have something like that at your house in case his BG gets too low. Happened to me, or screech rather, last week.
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Mon 11 Sep, 2006 05:44 pm
Yep, I always need some honey now and then....and I don't even have diabetes...
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Mon 11 Sep, 2006 05:53 pm
Yep. I got me a big bottle of Caro syrup last week. I'm all ready for his first seizure. Oh boy, this whole thing is a slice of heaven.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 11 Sep, 2006 05:57 pm
You don't usually get to the seizure point unless something really weird happens. The reason Rocky still has clumpy toes is because you're taking the insulin increases slowly - so you don't get to seizures. What you will more likely notice is the weirdness that is low blood sugar. Last week, I woke up at 7am because of a noisy neighbor and noticed the screech was all off. Swabbed his gums with caro and brought him to the vet. No seizures, he's fine.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 13 Sep, 2006 06:26 am
Well, that's good to know. I don't understand how the clumpy paws can be because of the insulin though. Actually, I cleaned out most of the major clumps of cat litter from his toes. The problem now is that his legs are weak. Because he has to put his back legs all the way down, if he pees a lot in one shot, the piss becomes into a puddle that spreads back under his hind legs while he's going. Then he jumps out of the litterbox with piss-stuck litter on them. It just happened last night. It's so damn annoying.

Once the insulin is regulated, will he stop peeing so much and needing to drink so much? Because so far, he's still doing a lot of both.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 13 Sep, 2006 05:37 pm
That's it exactly. He's drinking excessive water because his blood is thick and syrupy (in effect) and he's trying to thin it. You know the sensation when you have something far too sweet and all you want is a big glass of water (or maybe milk) to balance it? So, when the insulin-glucose levels settled, he'll stop drinking as much and therfore stop peeing as much.

As wrong as this might sound, using clumping litter is not good right now. It's not so much that he can't move because his legs are weak (I think). Cats just don't move when they're doing their business. And all that digging into the litter doesn't make a well big enough to keep the sugar cats pee - it's just too much. So, but non-clumping litter (it's cheaper anyway). Go back to clumping when he is regulated. The clumping litter has a high clay content and that's what you're finding between his toes (and on the floor and in the rug....). I don't know what your lotter box habits are, but I tend to scoop out the poop and pee clumps and leave the old litter in the box under a fresh layer. If you do the same, I'd suggest dumping all the litter more often than usual.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 13 Sep, 2006 07:34 pm
Remember how I said I finally cleaned all the clumps from his paws yesterday? Well, f*ck me, I just came home to find him with a whole new f*cking c*cksucking clumpfest going on again!!!

It took me f*cking months to dig that **** out, slowly and meticulously, only when I could get him in a calm mood...and now it's back to f*cking square one. I swear, right now, I could f*cking throw this cat right off my building and not even give a f*ck.

PLUS, my f*cking new job seems to be turning into a real rollercoaster of hours lately. I just got home from f*cking work five minutes ago. Now how the f*ck am I supposed to stay on this f*cking twelve-hour shot schedule when I have to work twelve and thirteen hours a day?!

Just venting, of course. I didn't even read your post yet. I'm going to come back to it when I don't feel like killing everyone and everything.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 13 Sep, 2006 07:49 pm
Tell them you can't work more than 11 hours straight? Seems reasonable....

Why are you so worried about the clumps?
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Wed 13 Sep, 2006 07:55 pm
Hey! I just noticed this thread is up to twelve freaking pages! That's more than my sandwich thread......damn! A diabetic cat.....why didn't I think of that?!!!
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Wed 13 Sep, 2006 08:02 pm
Seriously, kicky, you should read littlek's post. She talks about not using the clumping kitty litter until your cat gets regulated.

I'm sure a different type of litter would really help.
0 Replies