The Wicker Man

Paaskynen

Reply Mon 21 Aug, 2006 08:39 am
I saw the original unprepared (i.e. with no idea what it was about) and in those days there was no Internet and the cinema, or TV, synopses never gave away the clue. The beauty of the film was that it gave you just enough information to reach the same conclusions as the protagonist (but just before he did, so that he would be confirming what you already thought. And since he thinks that something really bad is going to happen you too are on the edge of your seat in anticipation). Hence, the shock and surprise at the end was all the greater!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 21 Aug, 2006 11:27 am
Quote:
The beauty of the film was that it gave you just enough information to reach the same conclusions as the protagonist (but just before he did, so that he would be confirming what you already thought.

Paaskynen- That, I think is the gist of what I was attempting to say. The audience was a few steps ahead of the protagonist, and the tension that was built up anticipating the conclusion was what made the film so unbearably tense.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Mon 21 Aug, 2006 11:45 am
I always wanted to see "Wicker Man" because I heard so much about it. I will probably see the original because often I have been disappointed by remakes.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 21 Aug, 2006 11:47 am
wandeljw wrote:
I always wanted to see "Wicker Man" because I heard so much about it. I will probably see the original because often I have been disappointed by remakes.

See if you can get a hold of the longer version.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 21 Aug, 2006 12:04 pm
Quote:
Hacked down to 87 minutes for its initial release, the film was a theatrical failure. The DVD presents the film, fully restored from original vault materials, in its original 102-minute version. Kryssa Schemmerling

http://video.barnesandnoble.com/search/product.asp?z=y&EAN=013131478495&itm=1

Well, how about that! Barnes and Noble will have a DVD for sale that contains the entire 102 minutes. And is is being released TOMORROW (probably because the remake is coming out soon)
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Mon 21 Aug, 2006 12:32 pm
Thanks, Phoenix. I had a feeling that there would be a new video release for the original. That always happens when a remake is about to open in theaters.
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Tue 5 Sep, 2006 08:30 am
This is a bad bad movie.

Cage is horrible in it. It is poorly written and poorly executed. I wouldn't even spend money on renting it let alone paying good money to see it in a theater if I were you.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 5 Sep, 2006 08:31 am
jpinMilwaukee wrote:
This is a bad bad movie.

Cage is horrible in it. It is poorly written and poorly executed. I wouldn't even spend money on renting it let alone paying good money to see it in a theater if I were you.

That is a real shame, considering that the original was so good. Sad

P.S. After I read your post, I checked some of the reviews. Horrendous! I immediately went to Blockbuster Online, and took it off my list.
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Tue 5 Sep, 2006 08:53 am
Good choice Phoenix.
0 Replies