Happiness -- determined by internal or external factors?

Reply Wed 16 Aug, 2006 05:07 pm
As I've grown my perspective on happiness/satisfaction with life has changed dramatically. In my younger years, I always looked for external objects to provide happiness. I yearned for the possesions/situations of others and swore having those things would make me happy.

Now, I see happiness/satisifaction as a product of your internal mental state. Essentially, you can be happy regardless of your position in life or the material goods you possess. Happiness is learning to appreciate and enjoy your daily events/activities and the things around you, no matter how mundane or insignificant they may be.

My question is then: do you agree that happiness is more heavily influenced by external factors (family, job, posessions) or internal factors (ability to appreciate what you have/where you are in life)? Also, as a follow up, do you feel society is misguided in what it indicates people need to be happy? (i.e. family, nice house, obedient kids etc.).
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,555 • Replies: 8
No top replies

smorgs

Reply Wed 16 Aug, 2006 05:14 pm
I am also interested in this question and have (sorta) posted on it before:

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=2111822&highlight=affluenza#2111822
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Wed 16 Aug, 2006 05:21 pm
Happiness is being able to handle stress in doable way.

Stress comes from many things - frustrations about money, fighting with loved ones, hating your job, needing a break, worry about children, bills, health - you name it. These are all internal AND external things. There are things we have control of and things we have no control of.

I was desperately unhappy some time ago and it wasn't because of any one thing I could put my finger on. I am not the run-of-the-mill type of person who follows societal requirements - getting married, having children, buying a house/car, etc. I've always felt strong enough to stand outside that mold and be who I am. For some reason I got depressed and couldn't figure out what was wrong with me. I am edging towards the idea that I was tired and frustrated of being held to a standard of other people that I was not interested in being and I actually wondered was I lacking in some way.

Now I am back on track. I did some mental and emotional wrangling and came to the conclusion that I am happy being me. If it feels right, I'll do it. If it excites me, I'll jump right in. But if it's not blowing my skirt up, then I'll move right along and poke my nose into something else. I got the reins back on that ole stress, gave myself a good ole talking to, and now I'm happy again. I know that if I'm unhappy with a loved one, a job, my health, that I just need to get up off my arse and do something about it until I am content again. No point in whingeing and moaning about it, lengthening the dissatisfaction and not solving anything. Might as well fix it or get over it.
0 Replies

BubbaGumbo

Reply Wed 16 Aug, 2006 05:28 pm
Quote:
Now I am back on track. I did some mental and emotional wrangling and came to the conclusion that I am happy being me. If it feels right, I'll do it. If it excites me, I'll jump right in. But if it's not blowing my skirt up, then I'll move right along and poke my nose into something else. I got the reins back on that ole stress, gave myself a good ole talking to, and now I'm happy again. I know that if I'm unhappy with a loved one, a job, my health, that I just need to get up off my arse and do something about it until I am content again. No point in whingeing and moaning about it, lengthening the dissatisfaction and not solving anything. Might as well fix it or get over it.

Your post indicates that you feel happiness is a product of internal factors.

Also, I'm curious how do you define stress? If it's in the normal sense (i.e. panic, anxiety) then I can't agree with your post. You can live free of stress (i.e. hide in your house and watch TV all day) but be dissatisfied with life and want more.

BUT if you define stress in a broad sense (i.e. negative feelings) then I agree. The ability to mitigate negative thoughts / feelings is a definitive method for making one happy.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 16 Aug, 2006 05:32 pm
I have come to the same conclusion that my internal mental state has
made me the content person I am today. I have mostly followed a path
that was plausible for me, despite (sometimes) tremendous objections from
others, but in the end I learned that the path I had chosen, was right for me. It's been always a gratifying experience for me to proof opponents wrong.

Material goods are certainly a part of happiness, but never the sole
reason.
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Wed 16 Aug, 2006 05:42 pm
BubbaGumbo wrote:
Your post indicates that you feel happiness is a product of internal factors.

My internal factor being my ability to handle the stresses of both internal and external sources? Maybe so. But I do believe happiness is influenced by both internal and external factors. A person cannot be happy all the time because they believe that will be so and have a cheery attitude about absolutely anything and everything. Some external influences will always apply.

BubbaGumbo wrote:
Also, I'm curious how do you define stress? If it's in the normal sense (i.e. panic, anxiety) then I can't agree with your post. You can live free of stress (i.e. hide in your house and watch TV all day) but be dissatisfied with life and want more.

BUT if you define stress in a broad sense (i.e. negative feelings) then I agree. The ability to mitigate negative thoughts / feelings is a definitive method for making one happy.

I define stress as any feelings or emotions that have a negative impact on a persons well-being. It could be hurt feelings, frustrations with workload, fear of not being able to pay bills, as well as more serious stress factors such as death of a loved one, etc. I don't believe that hiding in a house and watching TV all day is living free of stress. It can actually be a catalyst for stress when, at some point, the loneliness and disappointment in oneself can catch up with that person. Nothing worse than being at your own pity-party.
0 Replies

BubbaGumbo

Reply Wed 16 Aug, 2006 05:43 pm
Quote:
I have come to the same conclusion that my internal mental state has
made me the content person I am today. I have mostly followed a path
that was plausible for me, despite (sometimes) tremendous objections from
others, but in the end I learned that the path I had chosen, was right for me. It's been always a gratifying experience for me to proof opponents wrong.

Material goods are certainly a part of happiness, but never the sole
reason.

Well stated.

So being a stripper worked out as planned? Laughing
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 16 Aug, 2006 05:58 pm
Oh yeah, as long as I'll provide enough family passes for the opponents Laughing
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Wed 16 Aug, 2006 07:35 pm
Everything in your perspective is determined by 'internal factors', ultimately.
Of course, these 'internal factors' are under the constant influence of the outside world...
0 Replies