The univers, planets and stuff

Reply Wed 16 Aug, 2006 07:24 am
Yet again I got myself into a tizzy thinking about the eartha dn the universe surrounding it.How space just goes on and on and on and on......
then I started thinking that how out of all the planets are we the only ones to have a breathable atmosphere with things like people,animals(not single celled omebas) living on it.

Are we at the centre of something?
Why us?
What when how where when who..??!!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,455 • Replies: 54
No top replies

Doktor S

Reply Wed 16 Aug, 2006 03:33 pm
Re: The univers, planets and stuff
material girl wrote:
Yet again I got myself into a tizzy thinking about the eartha dn the universe surrounding it.How space just goes on and on and on and on......
then I started thinking that how out of all the planets are we the only ones to have a breathable atmosphere with things like people,animals(not single celled omebas) living on it.

Are we at the centre of something?
Why us?
What when how where when who..??!!

If you drop 1 million coins, at least one will probably land on its edge and remain that way.
0 Replies

EpiNirvana

Reply Wed 16 Aug, 2006 04:33 pm
yea but the universe is much more than a million, so youd have to think that there might only be one this way,
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Wed 16 Aug, 2006 07:38 pm
EpiNirvana wrote:
yea but the universe is much more than a million, so youd have to think that there might only be one this way,

If this example we to be applied to the universe, we would, at present, have absolutely no idea how many coins have dropped, or the likelihood of one landing and remaining on edge.
We would have so little data as to make speculation completely useless in any practical sense.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 16 Aug, 2006 07:53 pm
I heard on the radio today that "they" are trying to make the definition of a plant more specific.

Depending on the definition, it could take the current # of plants from 9 to 14, if it stayed the same, some are saying pluto shouldn't be called a planet.

I'm just sayin'.

I like thinking about infinity....it comforts me.
0 Replies

aperson

Reply Wed 16 Aug, 2006 09:17 pm
Chai Tea wrote:
I heard on the radio today that "they" are trying to make the definition of a plant more specific.

Depending on the definition, it could take the current # of plants from 9 to 14, if it stayed the same, some are saying pluto shouldn't be called a planet.

I'm just sayin'.

I like thinking about infinity....it comforts me.

Thinking about infinity makes me sick.

We, as human beings, are physically unable to conceive infinity in any form.

Although you may think about it, you will never be able to actually conceive the concept of it.
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Wed 16 Aug, 2006 09:51 pm
Quote:

Although you may think about it, you will never be able to actually conceive the concept of it.

Which, considering 'infinity' is a concept that can't be quantified in any real sense, is quite the kicker.
0 Replies

aperson

Reply Wed 16 Aug, 2006 09:56 pm
Damn you infinity.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 17 Aug, 2006 04:37 am
did I say I can conceive what infinity is?

no, I think not.

I said I like to think about infinity.

It comforts me, it sickens you......what's your point?

Am I supposed to change my mind and have it sicken me too?

anyway.....

To some, I suppose considering infinity makes some people feel small and insignificant.

For others, like me, it makes me feel I'm a part of it all, regardless of how large or small that part is.
0 Replies

Marco Lazzeri

Reply Sun 20 Aug, 2006 01:52 am
the very act of seeking a purpose and to know WHY is unique to humans.
rumnating on that might yield an answer unique to the thinker.then is there any reality at all if all answers were perception based?as unique is the question so unique is the answer.there can be similarities but no exactness in this act, between two.
i suppose there is something beyond the conception of the mind.it can never know it or comprehend it until it becomes.
in the evolutionary process a predecessor never know what it is to be some one next in line until it evolved into that. there is no certanity that evolution ends with us.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sun 20 Aug, 2006 10:26 am
ok
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Sun 20 Aug, 2006 10:43 am
There is virtually a concensus among scientists that the amount of matter in the universe is finite (although, this doesn't make it true).

It is also implicitly assumed that there are many, many other worlds that are inhabited by complex organisms, although not in our tiny little solar system.

It is not at all surprising that there is only one such planet in our own solar system. Because of the way that the planets form, most stars are going to have some inner planets and some outer planets, and only the inner ones will be capale of sustaining life. In our solar system there was only a brief period of time during which life could have evolved, and if photosynthesis had not evolved in that time period life would not be able to continue. It's very possible, for instance, that life started on mars but died out.

I wouldn't be surprised if as much as half the stars out there have complex organisms living on at least one planet, but you don't have to agree with me.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 21 Aug, 2006 08:11 am
There have been found on eath, both at Yellowstone National Park in the United States, and in deep ocean volcanic vents, organism which can survive in temperatures far greater than had been previously thought. These thermophilic bacteria suggest that life can arise and survive in conditions far more hostile than we had previously thought. Additionally, "extremophiles" have been found in Antarctica surviving in temperatures far colder than had been previously thought. The parameters for the successful survival of life as we know it have been greatly expanded by discoveries in the last few decades.

Additionally, there is now evidence that even within our own solar system, it is not impossible that the conditions for life to survive may not be limited to our own planet. Recently, a moon of Saturn, Enceladus, has shown evidence (or is believed to show evidence) of liquid water in a part of the solar system in which we had previously not thought it possible. This article explains the evidence which has been found. Everything we learn on this fascinating topic just shows us how much we don't know.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 21 Aug, 2006 08:12 am
This page at Astrobiology-dot-com contains many interesting links to information on "extremophiles."
0 Replies

aperson

Reply Mon 21 Aug, 2006 04:43 pm
Chai Tea,
I was simply commenting, not trying to make a particular point.

Here is a formula for working out the population of the universe:

number of planets inhabited by living beings in the universe: finite
number of planets in the universe: infinite

finite
infinite
=0

therefore everyone you have met are simply figments of your non-existent imaginations.
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Mon 21 Aug, 2006 07:09 pm
This is kinda cool...if you like such things.

http://micro.magnet.fsu.edu/primer/java/scienceopticsu/powersof10/

It usually opens at the speed of one frame per second...but this can be adjusted.
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Mon 21 Aug, 2006 07:46 pm
aperson,

1) The mathematics for dealing with infinite values are approximates
2) You could use the same type of false logic to attempt to prove that the number of planets in the universe is not finite
3) The number of planet sized objects is finite
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Mon 21 Aug, 2006 07:56 pm
And if you want to get a more hands on feel for scale in the universe, check out this 3d simulator I wrote.

It only works on windows XP.

This simulator is simply modelling the gravitational attraction using Newton's laws. It does not incorporate general relativity (no gravity waves). (no such simulator for that exists anyway). For fun try turning gravity off see how the orbits change then turn it back on. You can also compare the traces of the orbits of the planets to the actual measured orbits from real life.

Be sure the read the little readme for keyboard controls. When you start the program time will be stopped, you will be zoomed out to a size large enough to see the 9 planets, and everything will be to scale. As such, the planets are all too small to see which is why you just see their names. However, the sun is visible at this size and is represented by a yellowish circle. All the other planets have full texture and 3d shape and also spin at the proper rate (althogh it might not look proper because I did not use any motion blur), but you will need to change the planet scale in order to see them.

http://www.cems.uvm.edu/~sheinric/starfield/
0 Replies

cge04

Reply Tue 22 Aug, 2006 03:42 am
the concept of infinity cannot be ascertained because no one has seen or experienced the ending of infinity.

Philosophical question? Where is the beginning of infinity,
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 22 Aug, 2006 04:58 am
2 packs....that is very cool.

stuh, I wish I could view yours, but I don't have windows XP at home, I'll try it this afternoon at work.
0 Replies