Politics

Rae

Reply Fri 4 Oct, 2002 06:56 pm
'Far better

it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor

spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory or

defeat.'

~ Theodore Roosevelt

'The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence

clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.

~ H. L.

Mencken

'Today's public figures can no longer write their own speeches or books, and there is some evidence that

they can't read them either.'

~ Gore Vidal

'I see in the near future a crisis approaching that unnerves me

and causes me to tremble for the safety of my country. As a result of the war, corporations have been enthroned and an era

of corruption in high places will follow, and the money power of the country will endeavor to prolong its reign.....until all

wealth is aggregated in a few hands, and the Republic is destroyed. I feel at this moment more anxiety for the safety of my

country than ever before, even in the midst of war.'

~ Abraham Lincoln, 1864 letter (Well said, Abe.)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,253 • Replies: 19
No top replies

Rae

Reply Sat 5 Oct, 2002 01:23 pm
'This conjunction

of an immense military establishment and a large arms industry is new in the American experience....We recognize the

imperative need for this development. Yet we must not fail to comprehend its grave implications....In the councils of

government, we must guard against the acquisition of unwarranted influence, whether sought or unsought, by the

military-industrial complex. The potential for the disastrous rise of misplaced power exists and will persist.'

~

Dwight D. Eisenhower
Fairwell address to the American people, 1961
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 5 Oct, 2002 03:03 pm
"THOSE WHO MAKE

PEACEFUL REVOLUTION IMPOSSIBLE WILL MAKE VIOLENT REVOLUTION INEVITABLE" John F. Kennedy

"TO ANNOUNCE THAT THERE MUST

BE NO CRITICISM OF THE PRESIDENT, OR THAT WE ARE TO STAND BY THE PRESIDENT, RIGHT OR WRONG, IS NOT ONLY UNPATRIOTIC AND

SERVILE, BUT IS MORALLY TREASONABLE TO THE AMERICAN PUBLIC." Theodore Roosevelt

Sorry for the all caps. I didn't

feel like typing it out.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 5 Oct, 2002 03:08 pm
'Beware the leader

who bangs the drums of war in order to whip the citizenry into a patriotic fervor, for patriotism is indeed a double-edged

sword. It both emboldens the blood, just as it narrows the mind…And when the drums of war have reached a fever pitch and the

blood boils with hate and the mind has closed, the leader will have no need in seizing the rights of the citizenry. Rather,

the citizenry, infused with fear and blinded with patriotism, will offer up all of their rights unto the leader, and gladly

so. How do I know? For this is what I have done.And I am Caesar.'

Quote:
That is from an internet hoax, it

was supposed to be from Shakespeare's Julius Caesar and Barbara Striesand was recently duped by it. The author is

anonymous.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 28 Oct, 2002 05:51 pm
A good politician is quite as unthinkable as an honest burglar.

- H. L. Mencken

And no more timely than right now:

One has to be a lowbrow, a bit of a murderer, to be a politician, ready and willing to see people sacrificed, for the sake of an idea, whether a good one or a bad one.

- Henry Miller
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Wed 30 Oct, 2002 10:39 am
These are typical political sayings of Mexico's cynical ancien regime:

"A poor politician is a bad politician": Carlos Hank, former governor of the State of Mexico, former mayor of Mexico City, former Secretary of Agriculture, former Secretary of Tourism.

"To live outside the budget is to live in error": Carlos Garizurieta, journalist.

"If you move, you are not in the picture": Fidel Velázquez, leader of the Workers Confederation from 1936 to 1998. (Yes, the dates are right)

"Friendship that doesn't show in the payroll is no friendship at all": anonymous.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 30 Oct, 2002 03:35 pm
"Suppose i were an idiot . . . suppose i were a politician--but then, i repeat myself."[/i][/b]

attributed to Samuel Clemens
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 1 Nov, 2002 09:15 pm
Being in politics is like being a football coach; you have to be smart enough to understand the game and dumb enough to think it's important.

- Eugene McCarthy

You can fool too many of the people too much of the time.

- James Thurber
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Thu 7 Nov, 2002 08:27 pm
'War does not determine who is right ~ only who is left.'

~ Bertrand Russell
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Thu 7 Nov, 2002 08:42 pm
'Mankind must put an end to war, or war will put an end to mankind.'

~ John F. Kennedy
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Thu 7 Nov, 2002 11:23 pm
Peace is not merely a distant goal that we seek, but a means by which we arrive at that goal. Martin Luther King, Jr.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 8 Nov, 2002 09:29 am
"Freedom rings where opinions clash." - Adlai Stevenson
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Sat 9 Nov, 2002 08:18 pm
'Politicians are the same all over: they promise to build a bridge where this is no river.'

~ Nikita Khrushchev
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Sat 9 Nov, 2002 08:41 pm
'It is error alone which needs the support of government. Truth can stand by itself.'

~ Thomas Jefferson

'Leadership is a combination of strategy and character. If you must be without one, be without the strategy.'

~ General H. Norman Schwarzkopf
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Sat 9 Nov, 2002 10:38 pm
'The problem of power is how to achieve its responsible use rather than its irresponsible and indulgent use - of how to get men of power to live for the public rather than off the public.'

~ Robert F. Kennedy
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Sun 10 Nov, 2002 06:05 pm
'Power corrupts. Absolute power is kind of neat.'

~ John Lehman, Secretary of the U. S. Navy, 1981-1987
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Sat 16 Nov, 2002 08:19 pm
'Why should there not be a patient confidence in the ultimate justice of the people? Is there any better or equal hope in the world?'

~ Abraham Lincoln
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Sat 16 Nov, 2002 08:24 pm
'When the high court of history sits in judgment on each one of us, our success or failure will be measured by the answers to four questions ~ were we truly men of courage, were we truly men of judgment, were we truly men of integrity, were we truly men of dedication?'

~ John F. Kennedy
0 Replies

Misti26

Reply Fri 18 Jul, 2003 08:10 pm
GEORGE BUSH QUOTES

1) George Bush
We need an energy bill that encourages consumption.

2) George Bush
When Iraq is liberated, you will be treated, tried, and persecuted as a war criminal.

3) George Bush
Sometimes, Washington is one of these towns where the person - people who think they've got the sharp elbow is the most effective person.

4) George Bush
I promise you I will listen to what has been said here, even though I wasn't here.

5) George Bush
I know what I believe. I will continue to articulate what I believe and what I believe - I believe what I believe is right.

6) George Bush
For every fatal shooting, there were roughly three non-fatal shootings. And, folks, this is unacceptable in America. It's just unacceptable. And we're going to do something about it.

7) George Bush
It's very important for folks to understand that when there's more trade, there's more commerce.

8) George Bush
You teach a child to read, and he or her will be able to pass a literacy test.

9) George Bush
Redefining the role of the United States from enablers to keep the peace to enablers to keep the peace from peacekeepers is going to be an assignment.

10) George Bush
Natural gas is hemispheric. I like to call it hemispheric in nature because it is a product that we can find in our neighborhoods.

0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2003 10:16 am
"Let us learn our lessons. Never believe any war will be smooth and easy or that anyone who embarks on that strange voyage can measure the tides and hurricanes he will encounter. The statesman who yields to war fever must realize that once the signal is given, he is no longer the master of policy but the slave of unforeseeable and uncontrollable events... incompetent or arrogant commanders, untrustworthy allies, hostile neutrals, malignant fortune, ugly surprise, awful miscalculations."

Winston Churchill.
0 Replies