Lady in the water

Reply Tue 15 Aug, 2006 08:33 am
Ive heard conflicting views, have any of you seen it?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 597 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 15 Aug, 2006 08:30 pm
A movie buff friend said is sucks big time. From the box office, the public thinks so, too -- the lady has sunk.

It's also had it's turn on the film forum recently:

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=79533&start=10

Frankly, I think all his films before are overrated, including "The Six Sense" which is intriguing on the first viewing and one of Bruce's best performances, not to mention Haley Joel Osmint's almost perfect turn as the little boy who sees dead people. Once you know the secret, on a second viewing it doesn't entertain. The ending was telegraphed for me in all the rest of his films, the most obvious being "The Village" nearly bored me to tears.

I will likely avoid "Lady in the Water" even when it comes to DVD and cable.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Tue 15 Aug, 2006 08:44 pm
Avoid like the plague. Friends gave us free passes and based on reviews I didn't want to even go for free. We did go and about 30 minutes into this silly thing people started talking to each other and the screen. It became sort of interactive. No one tried to hush anyone, the heckling was much better than the film. There were only about 30 people in the theatre and about half (including my husband and I) left before it was over. I would have been pissed if we had paid to see it.

We rented The Village because my nephew wanted to see it. Within 15 minutes we had the thing fairly well figured out and picked apart.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 15 Aug, 2006 08:53 pm
You're too smart to be going to the multiplex, Green Witch. Although I did want to take my Mom to see "The Devil Wears Prada" and, surprisingly, I liked it also.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Thu 17 Aug, 2006 07:10 am
I saw My Super ex girlfriend the other night.I quite enjoyed it.A good twist on a superhero story.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 17 Aug, 2006 07:19 am
Mixed reviews on that one. It's suppose to be funny and most of the reviewers who didn't like it said it was not funny. I think I'll pass.

Of course, there are films that one thinks were made to be funny and the are serio-comedies like "The Family Stone," actually addressing some serious issues. There's more chuckes in those films than outright laughter. The gag reel on that film on the DVD is quite funny.

Luke Wilson, "You probably think Herbert Hoover was gay."

(Chortle, "Yes, I've tried to forget that part of history," chrotle, chortle."

Luke Wilson, putting his hand on his head, "I don't believe I said that. J. Edgar Hoover, not Herbert Hoover." Cut
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Thu 17 Aug, 2006 07:28 am
I love Luke Wilson!!He is so funny and his voice is so calming.

Super ex gf was good to veg out to. I didnt feel like handling anythig heavy on the brain.Just good entertainment.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 17 Aug, 2006 07:35 am
I think you'll like "The Family Stone" once you get into it -- there's some comical dysfunction like in all scripts where they family meets for the Holidays and everthing starts unraveling. It doesn't happen at our family holiday gatherings, but there's always a first time (let's hope, 'cause they are pretty pedestrain and boring).
0 Replies