Nominate USMC Major Michael Mori for Australian of the Year

Reply Mon 14 Aug, 2006 04:53 pm
I am asking you to consider nominating Major Michael Mori for Australian of the year. The link to the form is below. Feel free to forward this message as you see fit or replicate it or link to it in other forums and media as is appropriate.

Major Michael Mori (US Marine Corps) is the military defence attorney assigned to David Hicks, the sole Australian Guantanamo Bay inmate.

He has been a lone voice calling for justice for all the inmates. This does not mean he proclaims their innocence merely that he wants due process and rule of law followed. With no thought for his career he has simple tried to do his job ethically and to the best of his ability in spite of a US administration bent on convictions for nonsensical crimes to justify the incarceration of the inmates, and an Australian government so dismissive of it's own citizens' basic human rights that it willingly allows Hicks to undergo a process condemned by the US Supreme court, that neither the US or British governments would allow their citizens to undergo.

Major Mori makes me ashamed of my government and proud to be human.

Sincerely, Hingehead.

Mori on wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Mori

The form is here http://www.australianoftheyear.gov.au/pages/nominationform.asp

use 0000 as postcode
unknown for the rest of the contact fields, except email where it checks that address is valid try [email protected] (that's a made up address, it is valid but probably not correct)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,583 • Replies: 12
No top replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 14 Aug, 2006 05:25 pm
http://www.abc.net.au/reslib/200406/r24445_60409.jpg
0 Replies

margo

Reply Mon 14 Aug, 2006 09:21 pm
I heard him on radio this morning - at least he sounds intelligent! He can't understand our government, either! (not to mention his own - he was dancing around question that very carefully!)
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Mon 14 Aug, 2006 11:44 pm
The transcript of the Denton interview is up:

http://www.abc.net.au/tv/enoughrope/transcripts/s1709428.htm
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 15 Aug, 2006 02:56 am
Thanks for that Hinge,,,it was damned interesting...I was especially interested in the "not wearing uniforms" stuff....when he pointed out that neither did the Northern Alliance people, nor the CIA plants.

Here it is:

MAJOR MICHAEL MORI: Well, their view was, everybody on the Taliban side. Anybody on the Taliban side was a war criminal because they resisted the invasion of their country. I didn't quite understand that. Then it was, as you heard the administration, their position was, "Well they didn't wear proper uniforms." So I started thinking about that. I said, "What about the Northern Alliance? What about the CIA they were fighting in Afghanistan? They weren't wearing proper uniforms." So it really can't be a crime and it's not a crime, but they had to try to fabricate something.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Tue 15 Aug, 2006 09:31 pm
read transcript - thanks for the link, hinge...- have emailed asking why no podcast?
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Tue 15 Aug, 2006 09:57 pm
Don't forget to do the nomination soon - they close this week!!
0 Replies

margo

Reply Wed 16 Aug, 2006 01:29 am
Done!

Thank you. Your nomination form for the 2007 Australian of the Year Awards has been submitted.

Your Nomination ID is 1919. Please quote your Nomination ID in all future communication with National Australia Day Council.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 16 Aug, 2006 01:37 am
listening..
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Wed 16 Aug, 2006 09:17 pm
Is it just me, or does this piece from Miranda Devine in the SMH miss the point all together? Since when did the SMH start pushing The Australian's line?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 16 Aug, 2006 09:42 pm
hingehead wrote:
Is it just me, or does this piece from Miranda Devine in the SMH miss the point all together? Since when did the SMH start pushing The Australian's line?

Yes, she misses the point entirely...that what is being asked for is a fair process of trial.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Thu 17 Aug, 2006 02:15 pm
Miranda Devine is an idiot!

I think we should just leave it at that!
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Mon 21 Aug, 2006 04:21 pm
I got my confirmation of nomination from the Australia Day Council in the post yesterday!
0 Replies