The Constitution, Original Intent and Social Programs

Scrat

Reply Fri 30 May, 2003 09:18 pm
As I read what I have read :wink: the Constitution makes no provision for the federal government creating and running "safety net" programs.(Even if they promise to do so badly, inefficiently and to ill-effect!)

So, what say you? Have I got it wrong?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,293 • Replies: 17
No top replies

roger

Reply Fri 30 May, 2003 10:40 pm
Preamble

We, the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

If you can drive one camel through "promote the general Welfare. . . ", you can drive a herd. Now, I suspect the original intent was to create post offices and maybe maintain interstate waterways, but there's the justification. Madison would be shocked at what we've done with it.
0 Replies

Scrat

Reply Fri 30 May, 2003 11:48 pm
Roger - I know that people have twisted that to justify what they want, but I also know that the founders expressly stated that this was not what they intended.

Here's Madison on the subject:
Quote:
Some, who have not denied the necessity of the power of taxation, have grounded a very fierce attack against the Constitution, on the language in which it is defined. It has been urged and echoed, that the power "to lay and collect taxes, duties, imposts, and excises, to pay the debts, and provide for the common defense and general welfare of the United States,'' amounts to an unlimited commission to exercise every power which may be alleged to be necessary for the common defense or general welfare. No stronger proof could be given of the distress under which these writers labor for objections, than their stooping to such a misconstruction. Had no other enumeration or definition of the powers of the Congress been found in the Constitution, than the general expressions just cited, the authors of the objection might have had some color for it; though it would have been difficult to find a reason for so awkward a form of describing an authority to legislate in all possible cases. A power to destroy the freedom of the press, the trial by jury, or even to regulate the course of descents, or the forms of conveyances, must be very singularly expressed by the terms "to raise money for the general welfare".

But what color can the objection have, when a specification of the objects alluded to by these general terms immediately follows, and is not even separated by a longer pause than a semicolon? If the different parts of the same instrument ought to be so expounded, as to give meaning to every part which will bear it, shall one part of the same sentence be excluded altogether from a share in the meaning; and shall the more doubtful and indefinite terms be retained in their full extent, and the clear and precise expressions be denied any signification whatsoever? For what purpose could the enumeration of particular powers be inserted, if these and all others were meant to be included in the preceding general power? Nothing is more natural nor common than first to use a general phrase, and then to explain and qualify it by a recital of particulars.

But the idea of an enumeration of particulars which neither explain nor qualify the general meaning, and can have no other effect than to confound and mislead, is an absurdity, which, as we are reduced to the dilemma of charging either on the authors of the objection or on the authors of the Constitution, we must take the liberty of supposing, had not its origin with the latter.
Federalist 41
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 31 May, 2003 08:41 am
Scrat
Although the constitution was a great innovation for the time and remains the basis for our government and laws It was written 200+ years ago. It has therefore over the years been both amended and interpreted. I would note that the USSC regularly makes judgments regarding the constitutionally of laws and judgments. In one of your other posts you stated that social programs are not sanctioned by the constitution and therefore it need be amended. Can one imagine how many amendments to the constitution there would be if every time a law or legislation is passed that does not coincide with the exact wording of the constitution. The present system I believe is the only sensible one where the constitutionality is determined by the supreme court.
I seem to remember, but I may be wrong, the issue of social security that the republicans were against went to the USSC. In any event if it were thought to be unconstitutional it along with all the other social programs would have been challenged.
What I am trying to say in my not so literate way is that the constitution is not carved in stone and open to interpretation.
I should note as examples the controversy surrounding both the first and second amendments
0 Replies

Scrat

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2003 11:41 am
au - How many specific laws flow from the power to levy taxes? We need not amend the Constitution every time we pass a law if we simply amend it properly to allow for what we intend to do.

If we allow--as we do--the government to ignore the constitution when it suits us, we cede to them the authority to do so when it does not. Period. Law is law. Either we follow it, or it ceases to be law. Period.
0 Replies

Scrat

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2003 10:24 am
As many people in this country support the massive growth of social programs and other fluff at the federal level, I can't believe there is no one in the Roundtable who can bring any evidence that such are appropriate or constitutional.
0 Replies

JamesMorrison

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2003 07:21 pm
Bookmark
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2003 01:14 pm
Roger had the right idea but the wrong section of the Constitution to support it. The Preamble is an explanation and holds no legal authority for anyone to do (or not do) anything.

A more appropriate section would be Article 1, Section 8, Clause 1:

"The Congress shall have Power To lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common Defence and general Welfare of the United States; but all Duties, Imposts and Excises shall be uniform throughout the United States"

I believe one of the very first claims for "relief" (what we would now call "welfare") came in 1796 when the City of Savannah GA burned almost completely. Whether or not such authority was within the scope of the Constitution was hotly debated but was determined to be allowed was eventually granted.
0 Replies

JamesMorrison

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2003 04:43 pm
0 Replies

Scrat

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2003 12:40 am
fishin' wrote:
Roger had the right idea but the wrong section of the Constitution to support it. The Preamble is an explanation and holds no legal authority for anyone to do (or not do) anything.

A more appropriate section would be Article 1, Section 8, Clause 1:

"The Congress shall have Power To lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common Defence and general Welfare of the United States; but all Duties, Imposts and Excises shall be uniform throughout the United States"

I believe one of the very first claims for "relief" (what we would now call "welfare") came in 1796 when the City of Savannah GA burned almost completely. Whether or not such authority was within the scope of the Constitution was hotly debated but was determined to be allowed was eventually granted.

What do you think of my citations from the Federalist Papers indicating this was not what was intended? Is it your position that I am mistaken on original intent here, or that we are free to ignore original intent if we prefer? (Or some third position I don't see?)
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2003 07:42 am
Scrat wrote:
What do you think of my citations from the Federalist Papers indicating this was not what was intended? Is it your position that I am mistaken on original intent here, or that we are free to ignore original intent if we prefer? (Or some third position I don't see?)

Well, I think it is mis-applied. The last paragraph of the clip your posted dovetails nicely with what Hamilton had to say on teh subject:

Quote:
Alexander Hamilton, Report on Manufactures

5 Dec. 1791Papers 10:302--4

A Question has been made concerning the Constitutional right of the Government of the United States to apply this species of encouragement, but there is certainly no good foundation for such a question. The National Legislature has express authority "To lay and Collect taxes, duties, imposts and excises, to pay the debts and provide for the Common defence and general welfare" with no other qualifications than that "all duties, imposts and excises, shall be uniform throughout the United states, that no capitation or other direct tax shall be laid unless in proportion to numbers ascertained by a census or enumeration taken on the principles prescribed in the Constitution, and that "no tax or duty shall be laid on articles exported from any state." These three qualifications excepted, the power to raise money is plenary, and indefinite; and the objects to which it may be appropriated are no less comprehensive, than the payment of the public debts and the providing for the common defence and "general Welfare." The terms "general Welfare" were doubtless intended to signify more than was expressed or imported in those which Preceded; otherwise numerous exigencies incident to the affairs of a Nation would have been left without a provision. The phrase is as comprehensive as any that could have been used; because it was not fit that the constitutional authority of the Union, to appropriate its revenues shou'd have been restricted within narrower limits than the "General Welfare" and because this necessarily embraces a vast variety of particulars, which are susceptible neither of specification nor of definition.

It is therefore of necessity left to the discretion of the National Legislature, to pronounce, upon the objects, which concern the general Welfare, and for which under that description, an appropriation of money is requisite and proper. And there seems to be no room for a doubt that whatever concerns the general Interests of learning of Agriculture of Manufactures and of Commerce are within the sphere of the national Councils as far as regards an application of Money.

The only qualification of the generallity of the Phrase in question, which seems to be admissible, is this--That the object to which an appropriation of money is to be made be General and not local; its operation extending in fact, or by possibility, throughout the Union, and not being confined to a particular spot.

No objection ought to arise to this construction from a supposition that it would imply a power to do whatever else should appear to Congress conducive to the General Welfare. A power to appropriate money with this latitude which is granted too in express terms would not carry a power to do any other thing, not authorised in the constitution, either expressly or by fair implication.

(Boldface emphasis in that is mine!)

The point both of these gentleman were trying to make was that it would be impossible to outline every situation that might arise within the Constitution itself. As a result the words "general welfare" were used and it was left to the Congress to legislate on specifics as they thought necessary.
0 Replies

Scrat

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2003 11:33 am
fishin' wrote:
Scrat wrote:

Well, I think it is mis-applied. The last paragraph of the clip your posted dovetails nicely with what Hamilton had to say on teh subject:

Quote:
Alexander Hamilton, Report on Manufactures

5 Dec. 1791Papers 10:302--4

A Question has been made concerning the Constitutional right of the Government of the United States to apply this species of encouragement, but there is certainly no good foundation for such a question. The National Legislature has express authority "To lay and Collect taxes, duties, imposts and excises, to pay the debts and provide for the Common defence and general welfare" with no other qualifications than that "all duties, imposts and excises, shall be uniform throughout the United states, that no capitation or other direct tax shall be laid unless in proportion to numbers ascertained by a census or enumeration taken on the principles prescribed in the Constitution, and that "no tax or duty shall be laid on articles exported from any state." These three qualifications excepted, the power to raise money is plenary, and indefinite; and the objects to which it may be appropriated are no less comprehensive, than the payment of the public debts and the providing for the common defence and "general Welfare." The terms "general Welfare" were doubtless intended to signify more than was expressed or imported in those which Preceded; otherwise numerous exigencies incident to the affairs of a Nation would have been left without a provision. The phrase is as comprehensive as any that could have been used; because it was not fit that the constitutional authority of the Union, to appropriate its revenues shou'd have been restricted within narrower limits than the "General Welfare" and because this necessarily embraces a vast variety of particulars, which are susceptible neither of specification nor of definition.

It is therefore of necessity left to the discretion of the National Legislature, to pronounce, upon the objects, which concern the general Welfare, and for which under that description, an appropriation of money is requisite and proper. And there seems to be no room for a doubt that whatever concerns the general Interests of learning of Agriculture of Manufactures and of Commerce are within the sphere of the national Councils as far as regards an application of Money.

The only qualification of the generallity of the Phrase in question, which seems to be admissible, is this--That the object to which an appropriation of money is to be made be General and not local; its operation extending in fact, or by possibility, throughout the Union, and not being confined to a particular spot.

No objection ought to arise to this construction from a supposition that it would imply a power to do whatever else should appear to Congress conducive to the General Welfare. A power to appropriate money with this latitude which is granted too in express terms would not carry a power to do any other thing, not authorised in the constitution, either expressly or by fair implication.

The point both of these gentleman were trying to make was that it would be impossible to outline every situation that might arise within the Constitution itself. As a result the words "general welfare" were used and it was left to the Congress to legislate on specifics as they thought necessary.

(Boldface/Red emphasis and underlining in that is Scrat's!) :wink:

All of what you cite above is perfectly reasonable, but you must consider the language you highlighted in bold through a lense of the language I have now highlighted in bold and red. The language was intentionally broad to allow legislatures to determine what specifically needed to be done, but always and only within the bounds of those things "authorised in the constitution, either expressly or by fair implication".

This is the core of my position, that the legislature is allowed broad leeway in determining how best to exercise those powers enumerated--how to work within those powers--not to create new areas of power for themselves.
0 Replies

Scrat

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2003 02:01 pm
Oh, and apropos to this discussion, a friend just forwarded me a recent column by Walter Williams (bold mine):

Quote:
Let's do some detective work
Walter E. Williams
December 10, 2003

I'd like to enlist the services of my fellow Americans with a bit of detective work. Let's start off with hard evidence.

The Federalist Papers were a set of documents written by John Jay, Alexander Hamilton and James Madison to persuade the 13 states to ratify the Constitution. In one of those papers, Federalist Paper 45, James Madison wrote: "The powers delegated by the proposed Constitution to the Federal Government, are few and defined. Those which are to remain in the State Governments are numerous and indefinite. The former will be exercised principally on external objects, as war, peace, negotiation and foreign commerce; with which last the power of taxation will for the most part be connected. The powers reserved to the several States will extend to all the objects, which, in the ordinary course of affairs, concern the lives, liberties and properties of the people; and the internal order, improvement, and prosperity of the State."

If we turned James Madison's statement on its head, namely that the powers of the federal government are numerous and indefinite and those of the states are few and defined, we'd describe today's America. Was Madison just plain ignorant about the powers delegated to Congress? Before making our judgment, let's examine statements of other possibly misinformed Americans.

In 1796, on the floor of the House of Representatives, William Giles of Virginia condemned a relief measure for fire victims saying it was neither the purpose nor the right of Congress to "attend to what generosity and humanity require, but to what the Constitution and their duty require." In 1854, President Franklin Pierce vetoed a bill intended to help the mentally ill, saying, "I cannot find any authority in the Constitution for public charity," adding that to approve such spending "would be contrary to the letter and the spirit of the Constitution and subversive to the whole theory upon which the Union of these States is founded." President Grover Cleveland was the king of the veto. He vetoed literally hundreds of congressional spending bills during his two terms as president in the late 1800s. His often given reason was, "I can find no warrant for such an appropriation in the Constitution."

Today's White House proposes and Congress taxes and spends for anything they can muster a majority vote on. My investigative query is: Were the Founders and previous congressmen and presidents, who could not find constitutional authority for today's bread and circuses, just plain stupid and ignorant? I don't believe in long-run ignorance or stupidity, so I reread the Constitution, looking to see whether an amendment had been passed authorizing Congress to spend money on bailouts for airlines, prescription drugs, education, Social Security and thousands of similar items in today's federal budget. I found no such amendment.

Being thorough, I reread the Constitution and found what Congress might interpret as a blank check authorization -- the "general welfare clause." Then I investigated further to see what the Framers meant by the "general welfare clause." In 1798, Thomas Jefferson said, "Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated." The Constitution's father,

My detective work concludes with several competing explanations. The first is that the great men who laid the framework for our nation were not only constitutionally ignorant but callous and uncaring, as well. The second is it's today's politicians who are constitutionally ignorant. Lastly, it's today's Americans who have contempt for the Constitution, and any congressman or president upholding the Constitution's letter and spirit would be tarred and feathered.

http://www.townhall.com/columnists/walterwilliams/ww20031210.shtml
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2003 07:27 pm
Scrat wrote:
Prior Quote wrote:
Prior Quote to That wrote:
No objection ought to arise to this construction from a supposition that it would imply a power to do whatever else should appear to Congress conducive to the General Welfare. A power to appropriate money with this latitude which is granted too in express terms would not carry a power to do any other thing, not authorised in the constitution, either expressly or by fair implication.[/i]

(Boldface/Red emphasis and underlining in that is Scrat's!) :wink:

All of what you cite above is perfectly reasonable, but you must consider the language you highlighted in bold through a lense of the language I have now highlighted in bold and red. The language was intentionally broad to allow legislatures to determine what specifically needed to be done, but always and only within the bounds of those things "authorised in the constitution, either expressly or by fair implication".

This is the core of my position, that the legislature is allowed broad leeway in determining how best to exercise those powers enumerated--how to work within those powers--not to create new areas of power for themselves.

The paragraph you've highlighted in red is exactly what I restated right below it: "The point both of these gentleman were trying to make was that it would be impossible to outline every situation that might arise within the Constitution itself.".

Methinks you are misreading what you highlighted in red to mean something that it doesn't say.
0 Replies

Scrat

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2003 11:59 pm
With all respect, Fishin', I have not got it wrong at all. Read that section carefully and the meaning is quite clear, and not at all as you state. That paragraph was written in response to those in the states who were complaining that the general welfare clause appeared to give the proposed federal government powers far too broad for the comfort of the states. Madison was responding to these fears directly when he wrote "No objection ought to arise to this construction from a supposition that it would imply a power to do whatever else should appear to Congress conducive to the General Welfare." In other words, no one in the states ought to fear that the general welfare clause was intended to give Congress the power to do anything and everything it saw as in the interests of the general welfare. Madison is specifically and emphatically gainsaying that notion. He follows this by stating (I paraphrase) that the intent was to give latitude in exercising those powers enumerated, but not "any other thing, not authorised in the constitution, either expressly or by fair implication".

Please read the citations Walter Williams offers above (Madison in Federalist 45), and consider also Jefferson's statement, ""Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumeratedI have always regarded them as qualified by the detail of powers connected with them. To take them in a literal and unlimited sense would be a metamorphosis of the Constitution into a character which there is a host of proofs was not contemplated by its creators." (emphasis mine)

I am at a loss as to how they could have made their intent more plain.

Regards,
Scrat
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2004 02:11 pm
Re: The Constitution, Original Intent and Social Programs
Scrat wrote:
As I read what I have read :wink: the Constitution makes no provision for the federal government creating and running "safety net" programs.

You're right, but so what? As it turned out in some other thread last year, the constitution also doesn't provide a guarantee of human rights to US residents that are not US citizens. According to dyslexia, whose assertion I haven't checked, human rights for foreigners were established by a Supreme Court ruling around 1900. Today we would call this 'judical activism', as these judges clearly wrote the constitution instead of interpreting it.

In your opinion, Scrat, does it follow that the ruling was a mistake, and that human rights for foreigners ought to be repealed? And if not, how is the absence of a welfare state in the constitution of any more practical relevance?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2004 02:23 pm
The important question just may be 'Is everything not required by, or specifically provided for, by the constitution prohibited.' If I knew the answer, I wouldn't ask, but if this is the case, it would certainly establish a very limited form of government, which may be exactly what Madison intended.
0 Replies

Scrat

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2004 03:32 pm
Re: The Constitution, Original Intent and Social Programs
Thomas wrote:
Scrat wrote:
As I read what I have read :wink: the Constitution makes no provision for the federal government creating and running "safety net" programs.

You're right, but so what? As it turned out in some other thread last year, the constitution also doesn't provide a guarantee of human rights to US residents that are not US citizens. According to dyslexia, whose assertion I haven't checked, human rights for foreigners were established by a Supreme Court ruling around 1900. Today we would call this 'judical activism', as these judges clearly wrote the constitution instead of interpreting it.

In your opinion, Scrat, does it follow that the ruling was a mistake, and that human rights for foreigners ought to be repealed? And if not, how is the absence of a welfare state in the constitution of any more practical relevance?

Thomas - I believe that your argument is based on a flawed premise: that the Constitution gives anyone human rights.

From the Declaration of Independence:
Quote:
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

The men who wrote the Constitution are on record as believing that there are two distinct kinds of rights; those governments provide to men and those men have by virtue of being men. These latter are what I believe we call human rights. I would therefor argue that--assuming the court ruled as you state--they got it right but for the wrong reason. Further, the point you seem to be attempting to make is that if the result was good the action taken to achieve it was legitimate and that one can't be for the result but against the method. That doesn't exactly stand up to scrutiny.

If we assume that there are other rights that you and I believe non-citizens ought to have but which the Constitution does not guarantee them, I would suggest that you and I set about trying to get an amendment added to the Constitution to make it so. The Constitution did not allow women to vote. When people became enlightened enough to recognize that this was wrong, did they turn to a judge for permission to ignore the fact of what the Constitution reads on the matter? No. They wrote and passed the 19th Amendment. That's how it is supposed to work.
0 Replies