Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,001 • Replies: 14
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 12 Aug, 2006 10:27 pm
Oh, now that's a beauty!
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 12 Aug, 2006 10:51 pm
Yes, and thanks for noticing. Mine is brass, by the way. I was told it had a better tone, and it is truely melodious. One single ding, but that ding just goes on for ever. I told my bike dealer it was from a single source in the U.S., so he went and found another. Okay, so there's two sources.

I tried it out on a couple gaggle of pedestrians today, and they not only got out of the way, they smiled.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 12 Aug, 2006 10:53 pm
Makes me almost want to get a bike..
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 12 Aug, 2006 11:05 pm
If you do, I'll come down and we can go for a ride. Do go to a bike shop, though. Two Wheel Drive impresses me, but I'm not sure what their bike selection amounts to. Anyway, stay away from the various xmarts.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 12 Aug, 2006 11:14 pm
Nah, I'm a thrift shop girl..
Also, I couldn't be more out of condition. Would have to practice first..
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 12 Aug, 2006 11:19 pm
Well, if it made it to a thrift shop, and still goes, it's probably okay. Bikes are shipped in pieces, and even the best ones are at mercy of the final assembler. Look 'em over the next time you''re in kmart. The "associate" you see just may be your assembler - when they're caught up on rearainging the greeting cards.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 12 Aug, 2006 11:38 pm
I just saw a couple of bikes at the Goodwill last week. I thought, hey, it's too hot. Last time I rode a bike ... back when I tried to ride to work, I had one of those lightweight ten speed things. Not bad except traffic kept trying to decimate me.
I should at least get one of those clothes rack-exercise bikes... I've been looking at them, they run 19.95 at thrift shops, but I haven't liked the exact ones I've seen.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 12 Aug, 2006 11:46 pm
I've owned two stationary cycles, and hated them both. Neither one was comfortable or felt like a bike, there was no breeze, and the scenery never changed. Don't discount the effects of a breeze with humidity like we usually have. I might sweat like a pig (do pigs sweat?) after I stop, but the ride has always been comfortable, and I've ridden here at 103.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 13 Aug, 2006 12:05 am
Really? Hmmm.
Well, I'm still a fool on wheels, but I'll start looking.

I did have a stationary bike before that I did ride for a while, probably watching tv, and I've ridden them at gyms for a bit, yawn, but mostly I think of them as clothes racks.

I used to prefer to walk, but back in Venice I had a choice of a lot of routes, all pretty great, and all with a reward at some point, say a bakery in Santa Monica (4 miles away). Or the ocean, or through the marina to the jetty, or through the canals to Ocean Front Walk, or north to the walk streets, or up Abbot Kinney Blvd. or... or...

Lessee, here I can walk through the housing tract to Home Depot...
kidding, I can imagine some good walk and bike routes.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 13 Aug, 2006 08:21 pm
There's supposed to be a good one along the Rio Grande, somewhere.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 13 Aug, 2006 08:25 pm
I ordered one of those zippered bags that you put on the handlebars to transport stuff.

My neighbours who are moving just gave me a brand new wire basket for the front of the bike since they noticed I didn't have any kind of carrier. I really like the wire basket. I wonder if the zippered bag can be attached someplace else.

A nice bell is a very good idea.

I wonder if there's one on the old bike in the garage.

Must gather my courage and go into the garage.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 13 Aug, 2006 08:39 pm
Life must be really boring in ALbuquerque.When a bell is merely a noise making device for warning peds. Id use it like a Pavlovian tool for conditione reflex training.

Im peddling along and some people are in my way, MY WAY (why them dirty...)
1Hit the bell
2shoot the people wih paint balls
3 scurry away like some desert rat.

Now that would be fun.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 14 Aug, 2006 01:32 am
We're so diff'rent, Farmer... which is largely why I admire you, heh.

I got to get over to Rio Grande fast fast fast, I need a photo of a lavender field...
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 14 Aug, 2006 06:54 pm
You may get away with putting the handlebar bag under the top tube, ehBeth. The ones I've seen there are usually triangular, and attach to the top tube and the seat post. I normally just use a big wedge bag under the seat, with nothing in it except what I need to fix or replace a tube.

I'm eating my heart out, farmerman. They won't let us shoot pedestrians, at least in the city limits.
0 Replies