Need help..bad body shape..poor fitness

Reply Fri 30 May, 2003 01:17 pm
Hello everyone. I'm a 19 year old teenager and I dont have a good body build..it's very weak and skinny...I need to rebuild my body properly and do whatever it takes to make up a strong, firm, athletic body build for myself. I hate to see myself in that kind of bad shape, especially when I see other 15, 16 year old having a body double the size of mine!
ewww !
Help, what should I do ?? please guide me through this.
Thank you Rolling Eyes
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 2,678 • Replies: 15
No top replies

jespah

Reply Fri 30 May, 2003 01:38 pm
Well, first off, welcome.

Second, it sounds like you may need to lift weights. I'm not a doctor and you should always talk to your doctor before starting any sort of program, but lifting is how you're going to create muscle mass.

I also suggest running or jogging, simply because it will help sculpt your calves and the aerobic exercise will help to build endurance.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 30 May, 2003 10:48 pm
Welcome to A2K. I think a doctor could help put you in the right direction. One of my ex's had the same problem and he started drinking weight gain nutrition drinks and started weight lifting. It worked for him. Good luck.
0 Replies

MisterEThoughts

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2003 03:57 pm
I can help you, I am a bodybuilder and I am 18 years old I work part time as a Personal Trainer I can give you some pointers and what you can do to much to write but if you interested get back at me email me [email protected] hope to talk to you soon take care.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2003 04:42 pm
Hiya.

Welcome!

After clearance from a doc, I think it should be said that a good body requires lifestyle change.

For someone as young as you, the change may be as simple as daily (5 out of 7 days) workouts. But, sporadic body work won't benefit you.

Even though treadmill/jogging is primarily used for weight loss--and this is not an area you need work in at all-- Don't bypass it, please. We all need to protect and strengthen our cardiovascular systems, especially when you will probably be lifting.

I think the minimum prescribed cv requirement is 20 minutes 4 days week.

You probably want to enlarge your pec and arms. If I'm not mistaken, you have three major muscles in your upper arms, and a buff back is way sexy, too.

With all the work you will probably want to do-- You may want to start in a gym. They have oodles of machines for all muscle groups, and personal trainers to guide you.

Make sure someone trains you how to breathe properly and stand correctly. (I am your mother, I know...sorry.) Avoiding injury is more important than buffitity.

Anyhoo-- You shouldn't work on all muscle groups every day. It would take too long and tear your muscles. A trainer can help you divide up your body areas into managable work outs, so that in a week you have accomplished your goal for all your 900 parts.

Stick with it and you will see results quick, and be a babe magnet in no time!!
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2003 05:34 pm
Sofia speaks sooth.

If you follow her plan you WILL be a babe magnet. Just like me.

[eric cartman's voice]BEEEFCAKE BEEEFCAKE!!!!!![/eric cartman's voice]

http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0SQByABMXR3Hv1NQCdUx1SDV7nv9UCVvzZC60RKJedXML7yb0gMKBaIWoJo3TEz98tlI8BDFQ1W1!6xq!u5yI2RUXEnjeBrGitoeeaH8bI4tZfqPW1AJ0*w/muscles.jpg?dc=4675424389819210338

Seriously, I used to look like this:

http://home.powertech.no/steinhhj/muscles.gif
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2003 08:23 am
You used to be 2 cartoon guys, Craven?
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2003 09:47 pm
He's been dipped in red paint.................
....................... surprising turn on!
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2003 10:22 pm
Those were just the first pictures that came up in google in a web search.
0 Replies

vonderjohn

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2003 07:32 pm
Thank you Sofia and MisterEthoughts (i'll be emailing you as soon as I could, thanks for your concern) .. and all those who replied here..I value your advice especially that you're talking from experience, reference, or simply your own opinion. I've got many replies about that topic the only choice I have is to print the whole thing and review it patiently. Wish me luck lol
Oh just one question came to mind..
After a loong, exhausting exercise period...im very thirsty and tired...is it a good idea to grab a can of "xtc" or "gatorade" in this situation? will it help? or water is more preferable? thanks.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2003 08:29 pm
Vonderjohn, hit the message boards at bodybuilding.com...you'll find a lot of very knowlegeable people. Also, go pick up some bodybuilding magazines, like FLEX and Muscle&Fitness. There's so much info you need to learn. You have to figure out the basics with nutrition, and weight training.
Talk to people who have been lifting weights/have been involved in fitness for a while.

Nutrition:
Ideally, you want to eat 5-6 meals a day, each containing a good balance of protien, carbs, and fat. Whole foods are best: chicken, fish, red meat, rice, beans, pasta, peanut butter, eggs, ect. Learn which foods contain which nutrients, and structure a diet for yourself. This includes having a good idea of how many calories you are consuming daily, so you can track your weight gain/loss. Diet is THE MOST IMPORTANT factor in weight gain. If you're not eating enough, you won't be able to build the muscle necessary to make gains with weight training.
Training: You want to train each muscle group once a week, split into 4-5 days. Legs/calves are one muscle group, Arms(biceps/triceps), Back(lats/traps/lower back), Chest, then Shoulders. Again, pick up some mags and read through the message boards on bodybuilding.com and structure a workout program.

Consistency is the key...once you get settled in, stick with your plan. Another word of advice: don't get too caught up in taking supplements right away...there's no miracle products out there, and food is your best natural supplement, by far. Of course, vitamins are never a bad idea, or protien shakes for convienence.

And to answer your question about drinking a beverage after working out: while weight training, what you eat right after you work out will be your most important meal...you need a blend of simple carbs(like gatorade), and protien, within 45 minutes of working out. Your muscles are torn down, and need those nutrients for them to recover properly.

Feel free to PM me with any questions as well...I started off exactly like you, 20 years old, and skinny as could be. I put on about 45lbs naturally in the past five years, most of that weight coming in the first couple of years! It seems like a lot of info to swallow at first, but it's actually a pretty simple process once you learn the basics.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2003 10:11 pm
You've found pretty good advice vonderjohn. The latest one (Slappy's) about nutrition is crucial.

I'll only add one thing: go step by step. Trainers tend to overstimate fitness and strength of newbies. The result is muscles so sore you don't want to keep on doing it. Step by step.

BTW, welcome to A2K
0 Replies

vonderjohn

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2003 02:53 pm
Hello and thanks a bunch
Thanks a whole lot for every piece of advice you and the others gave me. Everyone I ask around here (friends, family) ..they give me brief, insuffiecient, usual answers. Something which I really don't need to listen to. Rolling Eyes
What i'll be doing now :
First of all im into exams right now, so I can't really go to any gym before im done with them...this leaves only one choice : I have to start at home.
I'll be doing some push-ups, set-ups and exercises periodically at home : in the morning, before having a break, and at night before I go to bed.
Those exercises will be accompanied with a regular, stable eating routine and I'll be eating many meals per day (I'll be keeping my stomach full at all times) ... in this way i'll be intaking calories and fats and storing them into muscles. Razz
I'll continue in this manner for 3 weeks (my exams will be over and so is my graduation) .. after those 3 weeks i'll be starting with the gym, and then after I have the suitable fitness, i'll start some heavy weight lifting and body building.
How does that sound? Smile
Please let me know.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2003 03:38 pm
Sounds like a great plan :-D
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2003 04:09 pm
Hmmm....vonderjohn, if it helps your already positive attitude, you are in an envied minority, those who want to GAIN weight Very Happy Good luck! Let us know how it goes.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2003 04:10 pm
Sounds good...just read+learn as much as you can on weight lifting and nutrition in the meantime as well!
0 Replies