what is America becoming?

najmelliw

Reply Wed 16 Aug, 2006 02:39 am
Asking... What is our country coming to... Or : what can we (I read this as saying the country and it's inhabitants) do...
I'd say that with a globalized business market, there is very little any one nation can do. The huge companies can flit from country to country in order to find cheap labor, or a favorable business climate with low taxes, in order to maximize profit. That goes for all industries, including oil and weapon of course.
We as countries need to make more effort to come to a global union. I think this will eventually happen, though. It's just a matter of time.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 16 Aug, 2006 06:29 am
Basically, this thread is the umpteenth million iteration of O tempora, O mores . . .
0 Replies

najmelliw

Reply Wed 16 Aug, 2006 09:42 am
Apparently Set, it's an issue dear to the hearts of patriots all over the world.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 16 Aug, 2006 09:43 am
I agree . . . more's the pity . . .
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 16 Aug, 2006 09:50 am
Francis wrote:
BernardR wrote:
...but rather with suicide bombers somewhat like the Kamakasi in World War II.

I'm trying to improve my English but you guys do not help:

Kamikaze!

Brandon9000 wrote:
Blowing up marketplaces and dischotheques?

Discotheque!

That's where our dichotomy comes from...

Why don't I follow behind all of your posts from now on, broadcasting to the site every spelling or grammar error, and utterly ignoring the content of your ideas. I'm sure you'll never have a typo like the rest of us.
0 Replies

Mc Cobb

Reply Wed 16 Aug, 2006 10:00 am
Brandon9000 wrote:
Francis wrote:
BernardR wrote:
...but rather with suicide bombers somewhat like the Kamakasi in World War II.

I'm trying to improve my English but you guys do not help:

Kamikaze!

Brandon9000 wrote:
Blowing up marketplaces and dischotheques?

Discotheque!

That's where our dichotomy comes from...

Why don't I follow behind all of your posts from now on, broadcasting to the site every spelling or grammar error, and utterly ignoring the content of your ideas. I'm sure you'll never have a typo like the rest of us.

It seems I cant spell either the later it gets, Its not that I cant spell, its that I go ADD on the keyboard. I sit back and wonder man how did I miss that!
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Wed 16 Aug, 2006 10:04 am
Hey guys, my intent was not to hurt anyone, I really meant what I said about my English!
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 16 Aug, 2006 10:36 am
Let he who is without typo cast the first correction Laughing

No way I can claim exemption - can't even count the number of times I've revisited a post of mine, or seen someone's quote of something I've mistyped or mispelled and overlooked (gotta learn to use "Preview and "Spellcheck" Rolling Eyes Embarrassed Rolling Eyes ) - all I can do is cringe and bear it.
0 Replies

Mc Cobb

Reply Thu 24 Aug, 2006 08:44 am
I posted this thread in hopes that we could learn more about this topic from different views, but it seems not much has happened yet. Why did we give Israel to the Jews after WW2? What "motives" caused America to help create Israel and become allies with Her? What benefits does America gain by supporting Israel? Do the Muslims world hate America because we are not Muslim or that we are free, or do they HATE us because we give their enemies weapons that are used to kill them? What effect do we have on this war? Do we make it so difficult for the Muslim world to fight with conventional weapons that they must fight a new type of battle? These are the real cores of this thread. How and why does America do what it does in regards to the war on terror and are we becoming the real problems? Why would we do actions that place us in more danger, and become more hated by the world? Hate breeds hate and we are manufacturing hate not only for people of different race but especially for people of different religions. Only when there is peace among the religions will there be peace on earth. It must start with understanding your adversary." Love your enemy" isn't that what Christ said? We say we are a Christian country but we act like we are Satanist that hate first kill second and understand last.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 24 Aug, 2006 08:49 am
The Palestinians firebombing school buses? You keep ignoring the fact that attacking the weak and innocent is virtually their sole method of combat.
0 Replies

BernardR

Reply Thu 24 Aug, 2006 11:25 pm
McCobb- May I respectfully suggest that you look up Bernard Lewis--the foremost authority on Islam in the USA and you read his essay on the fringe elements in Islam- the Shia who believe that the Twelfth Imam will return( after an Apocalyptic event) and will then preside over a world converted to Islam.

There is no way we can build a bridge to loonies like that!!!
0 Replies

Endymion

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2006 04:16 am
If anyone is seriously interested in the Palestinians and their history
I recommend this:

The Palestinians
Jonathan Dimbledy
Photographs by
Donald McCullin
ISBN 0 7043 2205 3

Its not an easy book to get hold of (amazon had only one copy last time I looked). It was published in 1979 by Quartet books Limited, London

The British Responsibility - with features dating back to 1875 - certainly makes events that have led to today's mess very clear.
And the photography is some of the bravest you will ever see.

Jonathan Dimbleby writes with respect and honesty about the Palestinians he encountered while researching for the book.

http://www.cahanbooks.com/cahan/images/items/26706.jpg

The first line is:
"Some Palestinians will find the image on the front of this book heroic, I find it tragic."

You may be able to get it here
www.cahanbooks.com/cgi-bin/cahan/26706.html

Peace,
Endy
0 Replies