Music based films

sublime1

Reply Mon 14 Aug, 2006 06:01 pm
Shapeless wrote:
With only minor stretches to the definition, A Clockwork Orange could qualify as a music-based film.

Singing in the rain (kick) just singing in the rain (kick, kick)

Music did play a lage part of that movie.
0 Replies

sublime1

Reply Mon 14 Aug, 2006 06:04 pm
The Doors by Oliver Stone
Almost Famous

I am a golden god!!!
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Mon 14 Aug, 2006 06:10 pm
Did anyone see the Bobby Darin movie with Kevin Spacey? How was it? It looked intriguing to me.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 14 Aug, 2006 06:32 pm
J_B wrote:
I saw the Gene Krupa Story many, many years ago.

Other jazz era movies would include:

The Benny Goodman Story
The Eddy Duchin Story
Deep in My Heart
(composer Sigmund Romberg)
The Five Pennies (trumpeter Red Nichols)
Three Little Words (songwriters Bert Kalmar and Harry Ruby)
Yankee Doodle Dandy (songwriter/performer George M. Cohan)

I've seen The Benny Goodman Story, Deep in My Heart, and, of course, Yankee Doodle Dandy. The first two can't be recommended. Steve Allen, who starred as Goodman (and learned to play the clarinet for the role), may have done many, many, many things well, but acting wasn't one of them. Deep in My Heart suffers from two faults: it is based on someone whose life was not terribly dramatic, and it starred the definitely unmusical Jose Ferrer as a composer. Yankee Doodle Dandy, on the other hand, is a classic.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 14 Aug, 2006 07:23 pm
I've also seen the Benny Goodman Story and Yankee Doodle Dandy. I agree with you on Steve Allen, although I liked the story.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Mon 14 Aug, 2006 08:18 pm
Shapeless wrote:
Did anyone see the Bobby Darin movie with Kevin Spacey? How was it? It looked intriguing to me.

Shape, I really enjoyed Beyond the Sea, but then I'm a fan of Kevin Spacey's. He can really sing, which was a surprise.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Mon 14 Aug, 2006 09:39 pm
Gigi (one of my very favorite films), Oliver. and The Umbrellas of Cherbourg (with a very young, exquisite Catherine Deneuve).
0 Replies