Heathrow Aiport closed, big security alert

McTag

Reply Thu 10 Aug, 2006 12:03 pm
Today there were reportedly arrests made in Karachi, Pakistan, in connection with this.
There had been co-operation between the US, the UK and the Pakistan security and police services over this, it is reported. A big and a long investigation.

It will be interesting to see how many of those arrested will be brought to trial, and what the evidence is.
0 Replies

SierraSong

Reply Thu 10 Aug, 2006 12:30 pm
McTag, you apparently haven't gotten the memo. Some of your buddies here believe this is nothing more than a "scare tactic" by the GOP (Rove in particular).

In light of this, shouldn't you just let those 21 in custody go free?

An 'irrational hatred' of those aero-plane thingamabobs wouldn't be considered a crime there, would it?
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Thu 10 Aug, 2006 01:03 pm
What's that, Lone Star State irony?

I've tried to give straight answers to questions, however facetious. It's a serious subject, very.
The same thoughts occurred to me, of course. Why now, for example. But I don't think the British police would have moved to arrest 21 people just because GWB is getting a bad press on his "war on terism".
Our police have come unstuck in two highly-publicised terrorism cases recently, and I feel sure they must be on firmer ground on this one.

So don't worry, we'll keep Texas safe. At least our security bureaux over here talk to each other. :wink:
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 10 Aug, 2006 01:09 pm
SierraSong wrote:
McTag, you apparently haven't gotten the memo. Some of your buddies here believe this is nothing more than a "scare tactic" by the GOP (Rove in particular).

In light of this, shouldn't you just let those 21 in custody go free?

An 'irrational hatred' of those aero-plane thingamabobs wouldn't be considered a crime there, would it?

OK, I'm pretty much convinced SierraSong is really JustGiggles without the LOL and the end of every sentence.
0 Replies

SierraSong

Reply Thu 10 Aug, 2006 01:59 pm
McTag wrote:
What's that, Lone Star State irony?

I've tried to give straight answers to questions, however facetious. It's a serious subject, very.
The same thoughts occurred to me, of course. Why now, for example. But I don't think the British police would have moved to arrest 21 people just because GWB is getting a bad press on his "war on terism".
Our police have come unstuck in two highly-publicised terrorism cases recently, and I feel sure they must be on firmer ground on this one.

So don't worry, we'll keep Texas safe. At least our security bureaux over here talk to each other. :wink:

It's a serious subject to some - to some others, not so much, it appears. Happy to see you are paying attention and that you only briefly considered joining the conspiracists.

And thanks for your concern for Texas. BusHitlerHalliburton is vacationing here this month. I'm sure he thanks you, too.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Thu 10 Aug, 2006 04:41 pm
Just come back from the pub.
Seemingly the idea of the plotters was to detonate bombs, in aircraft flying from British airports, over American cities. New York, Washington, San Francisco were mentioned.
So, we'll see.
Investigation of phone links and PCs should take the investigating authorities quite far.
John Reid said earlier that the police thought the "main players" were in custody now.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 10 Aug, 2006 05:04 pm
McTag- Among the assets that intelligence agencies should posses are a bunch of really creative people who think the unthinkable. Ive got no confidence in the US intell at all. Our 9/11 was an example of where, although ample evidence preceeded the act, our intelligence was just proven to be abysmally deficient in the basic skills of "question everything".
Our intelligence has gotten rather formulaic in the recent years and we still dont have it together.
My comment was not centered at the item of todays news but of another greater attempt that , now that everyones busy patting themselves on the back, may be going on undetected.
I hope Im wrong but I dont know about our capabiliites anymore ,and , if I were in charge, Id have every damned scenario developed for analyses and discussion and possible follow-up.
Id look at this as a press decoy and follow how much money was unaccounted for and trail other cells to see what theyre up to. Obviously the internet as a terrorist tool has been shown to be compromised .
Heres a thought, the US should subcontract our intelligence industry to the Brits, they may be what we need to scare us into making our "homegrown" agencies more responsive to the times we live in. Were still fighting Russians I believe.

As this plays out , Ill be watching the news and trying to imagine what was missed, not what was successful. Somebody has to be a real worrywort.

I listened to Chertoff today , he was giving his spin of "international cooperation". Besides the fact he sounds like Barney Fife with a speech impediment, I dont feel that hes the smartest. kid on the block.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Thu 10 Aug, 2006 05:12 pm
Yes, agree. John Reid said at the news conference today, that the security services are "not complacent" and I hope he is right. We expect that to be so.

But this today is looking like, or at least is being presented to look like, a major and significant success.

Here's to the next.
0 Replies

Atavistic

Reply Thu 10 Aug, 2006 07:19 pm
farmerman wrote:
There was alot of buzz about something on 8/22. I dont like this, too much hype and apparent information. I hope Im wrong but this could merely be a decoy to test international security..

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=80600&highlight=
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Fri 11 Aug, 2006 03:03 am
McTag wrote:
Just come back from the pub.
Seemingly the idea of the plotters was to detonate bombs, in aircraft flying from British airports, over American cities. New York, Washington, San Francisco were mentioned.
So, we'll see.
Investigation of phone links and PCs should take the investigating authorities quite far.
John Reid said earlier that the police thought the "main players" were in custody now.

Latest from the BBC

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/4782347.stm
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Fri 11 Aug, 2006 05:25 am
The Guardian and The Times lead on this story, big time

http://www.guardian.co.uk/terrorism/story/0,,1842272,00.html
http://www.guardian.co.uk/terrorism/story/0,,1842393,00.html
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Fri 11 Aug, 2006 06:50 am
What will these guys attack next?
0 Replies

SierraSong

Reply Fri 11 Aug, 2006 08:26 am
A terror plot is exposed by the policies many American liberals oppose.

Americans went to work yesterday to news of another astonishing terror plot against U.S. airlines, only this time the response was grateful relief. British authorities had busted the "very sophisticated" plan "to commit mass murder" and arrested 20-plus British-Pakistani suspects. As we approach the fifth anniversary of 9/11 without another major attack on U.S. soil, now is the right moment to consider the policies that have protected us--and those in public life who have fought those policies nearly every step of the way. . . .

"This wasn't supposed to happen today," a U.S. official told the Washington Post of the arrests and terror alert. "It was supposed to happen several days from now. We hear the British lost track of one or two guys. They had to move." Meanwhile, British antiterrorism chief Peter Clarke said at a news conference that the plot was foiled because "a large number of people" had been under surveillance, with police monitoring "spending, travel and communications."

Let's emphasize that again: The plot was foiled because a large number of people were under surveillance concerning their spending, travel and communications. Which leads us to wonder if Scotland Yard would have succeeded if the ACLU or the New York Times had first learned the details of such surveillance programs.

And almost on political cue yesterday, Members of the Congressional Democratic leadership were using the occasion to suggest that the U.S. is actually more vulnerable today despite this antiterror success. Harry Reid, who's bidding to run the Senate as Majority Leader, saw it as one more opportunity to insist that "the Iraq war has diverted our focus and more than $300 billion in resources from the war on terrorism and has created a rallying cry for international terrorists."

Ted Kennedy chimed in that "it is clear that our misguided policies are making America more hated in the world and making the war on terrorism harder to win." Mr. Kennedy somehow overlooked that the foiled plan was nearly identical to the "Bojinka" plot led by Ramzi Yousef and Khalid Sheikh Mohammed to blow up airliners over the Pacific Ocean in 1995. Did the Clinton Administration's "misguided policies" invite that plot? And if the Iraq war is a diversion and provocation, just what policies would Senators Reid and Kennedy have us "focus" on?

Surveillance? Hmmm. Democrats and their media allies screamed bloody murder last year when it was leaked that the government was monitoring some communications outside the context of a law known as the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act. FISA wasn't designed for, nor does it forbid, the timely exploitation of what are often anonymous phone numbers, and the calls monitored had at least one overseas connection. But Mr. Reid labeled such surveillance "illegal" and an "NSA domestic spying program." Other Democrats are still saying they will censure, or even impeach, Mr. Bush over the FISA program if they win control of Congress.

This year the attempt to paint Bush Administration policies as a clear and present danger to civil liberties continued when USA Today hyped a story on how some U.S. phone companies were keeping call logs. The obvious reason for such logs is that the government might need them to trace the communications of a captured terror suspect. And then there was the recent brouhaha when the New York Times decided news of a secret, successful and entirely legal program to monitor bank transfers between bad guys was somehow in the "public interest" to expose. . . .

In short, Democrats who claim to want "focus" on the war on terror have wanted it fought without the intelligence, interrogation and detention tools necessary to win it. . . .

The real lesson of yesterday's antiterror success in Britain is that the threat remains potent, and that the U.S. government needs to be using every legal tool to defeat it. At home, that includes intelligence and surveillance and data-mining, and abroad it means all of those as well as an aggressive military plan to disrupt and kill terrorists where they live so they are constantly on defense rather than plotting to blow up U.S.-bound airliners.

As the time since 9/11 has passed, many of America's elites have begun to portray U.S. government policies as a greater threat than the terrorists themselves. George Soros and others have said this explicitly, and their political allies in Congress and the media have staged a relentless campaign against the very practices that saved innocent lives this week. We doubt that many Americans who will soon board an airplane agree.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Fri 11 Aug, 2006 08:30 am
I'm more worried about our supply of clean, safe water, than I am of bombing planes.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Fri 11 Aug, 2006 08:44 am
SS, it's true that many young British muslims (and there are a lot of them) have become more radicalised, and a fertile target for the promoters of extremism, since the attacks on Afghanistan and Iraq.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 11 Aug, 2006 08:47 am
SierraSong's Source wrote:
Let's emphasize that again: The plot was foiled because a large number of people were under surveillance concerning their spending, travel and communications. Which leads us to wonder if Scotland Yard would have succeeded if the ACLU or the New York Times had first learned the details of such surveillance programs.

This is a pathetic red-herring, and an attempt to bait those whom SS would label as liberals. England does not have the privacy laws which exist in the United States pursuant to the provisions of the IVth Amendment. England has video cameras on almost every street corner in their urban centers, and MI5 is an intelligence organization which has no parallel in the United States. It further ignores that "Scotland Yard" (a convenient and meaningless designation) produced false threat information which lead to the cold-blooded murder of a man in a subway station immediately after the July 7th bombings; it ignores that "Scotland Yard" kept under surveillance two native-born British subjects who happened to be Muslims, sent officers to kick in their door and hauled them off for 72 hours of incommunicado detainment, after which they were released with an apology and no explanation.

You have a truly warped view of the world, SS--but i'm not surprised at that given that you lend credence to drivel such as this.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Fri 11 Aug, 2006 08:55 am
Scotland Yard was once the name of a small street off Whitehall where the Metropolitan Police used to have their offices.

Now they're at "New Scotland Yard", the name given to their HQ building.

Everyone here understands "Scotland Yard" as a synonym for the Metropolitan Police- but the name's a bit outmoded now.
0 Replies

SierraSong

Reply Fri 11 Aug, 2006 09:41 am
Quote:
Investigators eventually fitted 12 vehicles with GPS tracking devices, monitored calls from mobiles and pay telephones and tapped into emails sent to Pakistan, Europe and Iran.

They followed their targets, recorded their meetings and conversations, secretly scrutinised their bank accounts, and took note of what they read on the internet, where they shopped and how they spent their money.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,20867,20099061-601,00.html

I wonder how much of the flying public in Great Britain are outraged at the agencies who were involved in all this spying, recording, scrutinizing.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 11 Aug, 2006 10:19 am
SierraSong wrote:
I wonder how much of the flying public in Great Britain are outraged at the agencies who were involved in all this spying, recording, scrutinizing.

The don't live in "the land of the free". It's a bit different there.

Remember, the U.S. is not supposed to be like England - that's why there was a revolution.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 11 Aug, 2006 10:23 am
There was a revolution?

Oh man, nobody ever tells me anything . . .
0 Replies