Heathrow Aiport closed, big security alert

McTag

Reply Thu 10 Aug, 2006 02:25 am
Bomb plot foiled, say police.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/4778575.stm

Reports say the plot was to blow up aicraft travelling between UK and USA, while they were in the air.
18 people arrested.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,467 • Replies: 46
No top replies

McTag

Reply Thu 10 Aug, 2006 02:30 am
For the purposes of this thread, Heathrow Aiport is the same place as Heathrow Airport.
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Thu 10 Aug, 2006 03:11 am
Just in time for my trip to US tomorrow evening. Gawd it will be chaos at the airport !!!
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Thu 10 Aug, 2006 03:13 am
the prince wrote:
Just in time for my trip to US tomorrow evening. Gawd it will be chaos at the airport !!!

Are the flights to US still happening?
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Thu 10 Aug, 2006 03:49 am
No flights today, I think. At least, no incoming flights which also means that all the aircraft are in the wrong place.
So the disruption will last a few days.
I think there should be limited flights by tomorrow.

Here's the official notice from the airport website:

http://www.heathrowairport.com/
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Thu 10 Aug, 2006 04:16 am
Quote:
'Mass Murder Terror Plot'
Updated: 10:55, Thursday August 10, 2006

There is chaos at British airports after police disrupted a plot to cause "mass murder on an unimaginable scale" by blowing up planes over UK and US cities.

The explosives would have been smuggled aboard six airliners as hand luggage - and could have been missed during x-ray screening.

Speaking at Scotland Yard, Deputy Commissioner Paul Stephenson said he was confident the police had disrupted a plot "to cause mass murder on an unimaginable scale".

He said 21 people arrested in London, Birmingham and the Thames Valley were still being held - the culmination of a covert counter-terrorist operation lasting several months.
Queues at Heathrow
Queues at Heathrow

Big queues were building up at UK airports as passengers trying to board international flights were not being allowed to carry on normal hand luggage.

Security sources believe that liquid explosives would have been used which could have been mixed during the flight into a lethal concoction.

Sky News' Crime Correspondent Martin Brunt said he had been told the threat was imminent and those arrested were mainly young, British-born Asian men.

The Home Secretary John Reid said the official level of security - indicating public risk - had been raised from 'severe' to 'critical'.

The US government has also raised its threat assessment to the highest level for commercial flights from Britain to America.
Flights have been cancelled
Flights have been cancelled

Whitehall sources said the Prime Minister and President Bush had been in contact over the plot for some time.

There have been lengthy queues at most British airports with many flights hit.

British Airways cancelled all its short-haul UK and European inbound and outbound flights to and from Heathrow until 3pm.

Flights scheduled into Heathrow were cancelled - apart from those already in the air.

The British Airports Authority urged passengers not to go to Heathrow unless absolutely necessary.

Flights to Britain with Lufthansa, Iberia, Olympic, KLM and Air France were cancelled until later in the day.

:: Security experts said such an attack would have a precedent - during the 1990s, a plot was foiled to blow up 12 Western airliners simultaneously in Asia.

Source
0 Replies

SierraSong

Reply Thu 10 Aug, 2006 07:04 am
Quote:
Sky News' Crime Correspondent Martin Brunt said he had been told the threat was imminent and those arrested were mainly young, British-born Asian men.

Is it PC to mention that in the UK? Shouldn't it be something like "poor, undernourished, impoverished lads who just want to be heard"?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 10 Aug, 2006 08:03 am
holy sh!t
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 10 Aug, 2006 08:07 am
There was alot of buzz about something on 8/22. I dont like this, too much hype and apparent information. I hope Im wrong but this could merely be a decoy to test international security..
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Thu 10 Aug, 2006 08:07 am
The National Guard has now been called out by Gov. Romney
to guard Logan International Airport in Boston, Ma ( USA).

Red alert in the CommonWealth of Massachusetts
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Thu 10 Aug, 2006 08:09 am
http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=80706&highlight=
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 10 Aug, 2006 08:48 am
I'm supposed to fly tomorrow.

Right now it looks like security has been heightened at US airports but things appear to be running on time.

I did find this:

Quote:
The U.S. Department of Homeland Security has raised the national threat level from condition yellow to condition orange. The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) is advising that no liquids or gels of any kind will be permitted in carry on baggage, or carried through the security checkpoint or carried onboard aircraft. Those items are instead allowed in checked baggage, which passengers cannot access in flight. Prohibited items include all beverages, shampoo, sun tan lotion, creams, tooth paste, hair gel and other items of similar consistency. Exceptions include baby formula and medicines, which must be presented for inspection at the checkpoint.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Thu 10 Aug, 2006 09:00 am
farmerman wrote:
There was alot of buzz about something on 8/22. I dont like this, too much hype and apparent information. I hope Im wrong but this could merely be a decoy to test international security..

Some decoy, with 20-odd arrested and a major airport shut down in the middle of peak holiday traffic.
Isn't this the busiest airport in the world? and all the British airports were similarly affected, I hear.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 10 Aug, 2006 09:02 am
Good luck tomorrow, boomer.

E.G. has a passel of trips coming up, a couple of them international. Oy.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Thu 10 Aug, 2006 09:12 am
SierraSong wrote:
Quote:

Is it PC to mention that in the UK? Shouldn't it be something like "poor, undernourished, impoverished lads who just want to be heard"?

Many of them are not poor, and are educated.

The Home Secretary, John Reid, identified them today in his news conference as British-based and of Pakistani origin. They may be British-born. They are being heard, and will be tried later.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Thu 10 Aug, 2006 09:18 am
Educated in hatred.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 10 Aug, 2006 09:20 am
I think that they meant educated in the same universities as everyone else.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Thu 10 Aug, 2006 09:23 am
littlek wrote:
I think that they meant educated in the same universities as everyone else.

Yes but someone must have taught them to be actively negative towards certain people.
No one was born a terrorists.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 10 Aug, 2006 09:27 am
of course.
0 Replies

SierraSong

Reply Thu 10 Aug, 2006 11:29 am
McTag wrote:
SierraSong wrote:
Quote:

Many of them are not poor, and are educated.

The Home Secretary, John Reid, identified them today in his news conference as British-based and of Pakistani origin. They may be British-born. They are being heard, and will be tried later.

Insensitive bastard! Hopefully he didn't mention the RoP.....thank Allah for that, at least.
0 Replies