A SEASON FOR THE SENSES

Reply Thu 29 May, 2003 04:39 pm
A SEASON FOR THE SENSES

Ah, just to sit here on a pleasant spring day. Lost in the warmth of the sun and lusting for the calm breeze that strokes my cheeks. Others are enjoying the moment. I can note it in their steps. They are light, unburdened and in no particular hurry. As they pass, I hear soft comments and ribald laughter as if the weather were a reunion of persons to long caught in the grips of winter and the rebirth of spring's child. A cloud has momentarily crossed the sky and, in its shadow, the sun's warmth is somewhat subdued as if momentarily catching its breath. As I sit I am suddenly encircled with the scent of fresh mowed grass and some distance away I can hear man and machine grooming some unseen lawn. My minds eye can gaze upon the now pristine carpet, dotted with daffodils and young iris reaching up in their attempt to also display their spring grandeur. A moment's pause; broken by the chirps of a male robin not long returned from some southern retreat. His voice rising above the din of the urban motorcade in hopes of enticing some yet unseen companion to share some lofty perch among the boughs.

I pause for one last moment, to absorb any last lingering sensory delights. It is spring and I do love it so but, there are things to do and I've tarried long enough. After all, this bench will still be here tomorrow. On to the bakery I go.

Tap, tap.
Tap, tap.
Tap, tap.
Tap, tap.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,037 • Replies: 5
No top replies

jackie

Reply Fri 30 May, 2003 11:49 am
Excellent, Morganwood.
Some how, you speak to all, who have that 'resignation moment'
where they slowly emerge from their reverie, get back to earth and chores. (Doggone it!)
0 Replies

morganwood

Reply Fri 30 May, 2003 03:23 pm
I had seen a blind man sitting on a bench in Knoxville and thought about him enjoying the nice day. I'm not sure I captured what I wanted.
0 Replies

jackie

Reply Fri 30 May, 2003 06:02 pm
I think you did it beautifully, Morganwood.
However, reading the poetry allows the reader to think "blind" (which I did, incidentally- from the tap, tap lines)- or, they can think of ANY person using a cane- appreciating the day from the depth of their five senses- then coming back to the MOMENT with their duty in view.
It is a sweet piece, well written.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2003 09:32 am
Morganwood- It IS beautiful. I think that it would be more effective if that first, long paragraph could be somehow broken in two. Personally, I find it hard to assimilate long paragraphs.

Hey Morganwood, this is a new venture for me. As I had said in my thread about criticism, it is something that I have never done, so this is my maiden voyage!
0 Replies

morganwood

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2003 12:14 pm
Ha, you and my Medieval Literature professor! He damned the day I discovered commas. Ever seen a 700 word sentence!

I'll play with it after I finish trimming the foyer.
0 Replies